David Hunter Court verdict

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
WHL
Posts: 6881
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:36 am The underlying problem is that "killing on demand" or at least assisted suicide is illegal in Cyprus. In other countries it's a human right. I personally know of 2 people who opted to leave Cyprus for that reason when they were terminally ill (my mother was one of them).
There are over 195 countries in the World, only 10 allow assisted suicide, so your wrong when you try and give the impression its a common thing outside of Cyprus
Kili01
Posts: 4675
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:41 am

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with WHL about the Met Police what has appeared in the public domain is shocking.
It will take time to sort out. Fortunately, not all police there are corrupt, but the situation which has become public must feel intolerable to them. As well as to the public, many of whom must feel very wary about calling for their help.
Dee
User avatar
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon
Posts: 3968
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 am
Location: Mosfiloti

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by Devil »

Dee: this thread is about a specific case in Cyprus and has nothing to do with the Met police or the UK. I'm not saying that the Cypriot police are incorruptible and otherwise wonderful but the present situation in London, although intolerable, has nothing to do with the David Hunter case. Personally, I would have no qualms about calling the Cypriot police if necessary – in fact, in the 26 years I've been here, I've called them two times and in both cases they responded excellently.

In fact, the problem with the David Hunter case has nothing to do with the police but with the legal eagles.
Firefly
Posts: 3092
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm
Location: Hereford UK

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by Firefly »

Memory Man

Where in the UK is it legal?

I appreciate that the link you provide, does specify England, is that what you are referring to perhaps?

If it is as you say, I wonder why people are prepared to spend a fortune, travelling abroad to end their life, if they can legally do it within the UK.

As for the Cypriot police, my husband and I had to call them on a couple of occasions, they were professional and helpful.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01
Posts: 4675
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:41 am

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by Kili01 »

In my limited experience of Cypriot police, never had a problem. It depends on how you treat them (they are humans beings too) . I am polite and courteous, and they are usually helpful and pleasant in return.
I would certainly not want to be on the wrong side of the law, which ever country I am in.

Dee
User avatar
jagwheels
Posts: 1990
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:57 pm
Location: Burbage UK

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by jagwheels »

I also am not sure what MM had in mind with that statement but this situation happened in my life. My father & cousin were both diagnosed with terminal cancer. My wife who was a nurse tended them both. With my dad the doctor agreed for her to inject what I assume was morphine when she thought it necessary. In the case of my cousin she was initially treated my McMillan care with a needle inserted into her arm connected to what again I assume was morphine & the flow rate could be regulated. My wife was eventually given control. Perhaps this could not happen today but dread the thought she may have been accused of the crime of potential manslaughter. At least our animals are offered an option
WHL
Posts: 6881
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by WHL »

jagwheels wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:35 pm I also am not sure what MM had in mind with that statement but this situation happened in my life. My father & cousin were both diagnosed with terminal cancer. My wife who was a nurse tended them both. With my dad the doctor agreed for her to inject what I assume was morphine when she thought it necessary. In the case of my cousin she was initially treated my McMillan care with a needle inserted into her arm connected to what again I assume was morphine & the flow rate could be regulated. My wife was eventually given control. Perhaps this could not happen today but dread the thought she may have been accused of the crime of potential manslaughter. At least our animals are offered an option
My father suffering with terminal cancer , was in a hospice he had a little machine that gave him an automatic dose of morphine to try and control the pain , the care he got from those people was as if it was one of their own family members , we were all praying for him to slip away, but i for one could never ask for someone to speed the process up.for him to die.
User avatar
jagwheels
Posts: 1990
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:57 pm
Location: Burbage UK

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by jagwheels »

In both cases there was no sign of suffering & it took many weeks for them to die but my comment clouded the point that MM raised

Q: "Not all of the UK is it illegal"

Regarding Mr Hunters protracted case I imagine the final verdict could influence future law in Cyprus
User avatar
Dominic
Site Admin
Posts: 15096
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Polemi
Contact:

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by Dominic »

I've moved this to Politics because it is getting heated.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba
Posts: 1501
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:45 am
jeba wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:36 am The underlying problem is that "killing on demand" or at least assisted suicide is illegal in Cyprus. In other countries it's a human right. I personally know of 2 people who opted to leave Cyprus for that reason when they were terminally ill (my mother was one of them).
There are over 195 countries in the World, only 10 allow assisted suicide, so your wrong when you try and give the impression its a common thing outside of Cyprus
Would you please point to where I gave the impression it was a common thing outside of Cyprus? I'm happy to say though it should be a common thing.
WHL
Posts: 6881
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:36 am
WHL wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:45 am
jeba wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:36 am The underlying problem is that "killing on demand" or at least assisted suicide is illegal in Cyprus. In other countries it's a human right. I personally know of 2 people who opted to leave Cyprus for that reason when they were terminally ill (my mother was one of them).
There are over 195 countries in the World, only 10 allow assisted suicide, so your wrong when you try and give the impression its a common thing outside of Cyprus
Would you please point to where I gave the impression it was a common thing outside of Cyprus? I'm happy to say though it should be a common thing.
Firefly
Posts: 3092
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm
Location: Hereford UK

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by Firefly »

I suppose that those of us who have watched a loved one die, have differing views on this subject. Personally, I could not take the life of a loved one, or help with assisted suicide.

The case here seems to rest on whether or not the taking of a life was premeditated. In law, as far as I know, no matter what the reason for the taking of a life, if it is premeditated, it is murder. And If there is no evidence that the deceased person wished to die, who knows. I'm no lawyer, and I may well be wrong, but that's how it seems to be to me.

Assisted suicide, is a different matter altogether. The deceased person can leave evidence that they wished to die, and have requested help to do so, be that by the written word, or an oral recording, or to a third person as a witness.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
jeba
Posts: 1501
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:00 pm
jeba wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:36 am
WHL wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:45 am

There are over 195 countries in the World, only 10 allow assisted suicide, so your wrong when you try and give the impression its a common thing outside of Cyprus
Would you please point to where I gave the impression it was a common thing outside of Cyprus? I'm happy to say though it should be a common thing.
Still can't see that I tried to give the impression it was a common thing. I merely pointed out that there are other countries which regard it a human right. That you read a "most" or "many" or whatever in into it is indicative of an overactive imagination.
User avatar
memory man
Posts: 5324
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:30 am
Location: on top of ATLANTIS
Contact:

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by memory man »

Trial of David Hunter continues in Paphos

https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/05/08/tria ... in-paphos/
Image
galexinda
Posts: 2299
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:47 am
Location: Paphos

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by galexinda »

Tuesday 09 May
A final call by David Hunter’s defence team to have his wife’s killing tried as manslaughter as opposed to premeditated murder failed on Tuesday, after the judge said there was enough evidence to continue the case on the charge of premeditated murder.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/05/09/defe ... e-reduced/
User avatar
memory man
Posts: 5324
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:30 am
Location: on top of ATLANTIS
Contact:

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by memory man »

Janice Hunter might not have had terminal illness, doctor tells court

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... lls-court/
Image
Firefly
Posts: 3092
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm
Location: Hereford UK

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by Firefly »

It appears that David Hunter made a conscious decision to kill his wife. The time and/or date of that action unknown. Indeed, after reading the article, it seems that even a diagnosis of some of her alleged medical conditions, are as yet unproved, and may remain so.

Time will tell.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Post Reply