Import Tax?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Import Tax?

Post by MacManiac »

Our daughter inadvertently took Ann’s favourite shawl back to the UK after a recent visit here. She decided to knit her another one and sent them both back with a £0.99 colouring book via DHL. We then received a text telling us we owed €19 + in import duty and VAT.

Quite unbelievable.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Import Tax?

Post by Dominic »

Ouch. One of the joys of Brexit.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I had a problem with Cyprus Customs nearly 2 yrs ago with these taxes when I sent by post in a jiffy bag, with some previously worn clothes (and which belonged to me), from the UK to-my address in Cyprus. This was something which I had done previously (before Brexit struck) with no problems. These were simply clothes which wouldn't fit in my suitcase.
But my parcel disappeared after arrival at Larnaca. I only found this out by dint of searching on the internet, regular trips to my local PO in Paphos, who also helped me to trace it. Finally it was traced to Nicosia, main customs office.
I rang several times before they checked and found it.
Then they required me to download customs clearance forms from their website. Which I was unable to do.Looking at them on line, they were assessment forms for VAT and customs duty.l objected as they were used. They wanted sales receipts, I didn't have any...
Haggling went on. After an inpasse when I objected to their charges, unfair as there was nothing to pay on used garments. They finally relented and suddenly I got a call from Paphos head PO. My parcel was there. It had been opened, was battered but everything was there! I just left with no charges. But the whole ghastly episode took over 6 weeks.
I haven't tried to send anything to Cyprus since..
Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

We lent a car to a relative from the UK, they forgot to give us back the key and took it home with them.
they posted it back to us and it cost us 19 euros to get it from customs.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Wow! That's really gross! Did you try remonstrating with them? Which was what I had to do..
See above.