Bill provides renewal of driving licences every 10 years, stricter road traffic rules

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Bill provides renewal of driving licences every 10 years, stricter road traffic rules

Post by Paphos Life »

Driving licenses will have to be renewed every 10 years while new rules will improve safety for all road users, according to a draft bill to be debated before parliament on Thursday. At the same time, an information exchange network within all EU countries will allow access to a driver’s personal data. The European Commission […]

Read the article and chat about it below...
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Bill provides renewal of driving licences every 10 years, stricter road traffic rules

Post by Devil »

I was 88 when I last renewed my licence, for three years. If it were for 10 years, I could theoretically still drive up to 98. I stopped driving at 90 because I lost some confidence in being able to cope with a tricky situation. One thing I have noticed is that my eyes are still 20/20 in terms of acuity, which is what is tested, but started to react poorly when looking at rapid motion. The mandatory eye test should be dynamic as well as static.
Cappielow1

Re: Bill provides renewal of driving licences every 10 years, stricter road traffic rules

Post by Cappielow1 »

Devil wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:48 am I was 88 when I last renewed my licence, for three years. If it were for 10 years, I could theoretically still drive up to 98. I stopped driving at 90 because I lost some confidence in being able to cope with a tricky situation. One thing I have noticed is that my eyes are still 20/20 in terms of acuity, which is what is tested, but started to react poorly when looking at rapid motion. The mandatory eye test should be dynamic as well as static.
Good on you, and there are some UK politicians wanting to ban you from driving when you turn 70!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Cappielow1 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:30 am Good on you, and there are some UK politicians wanting to ban you from driving when you turn 70!
I don't believe that age is a criterion, in itself. There are many 50-year-olds who should not be allowed to drive and there are some 90-year-olds who should be allowed to drive. As a case in point, my wife tried to learn to drive when she was in her 20s. She, herself, gave it up after a few lessons (and three professional driving teachers, whom she scared the wits out of)! She was quite happy to have me as her private taxi driver!
JimX

Post by JimX »

70 seems too long for some drivers, I have incurable double vision at 75, I had to unfortunately stop driving to be safe for other road users, and myself. :geek:
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I am sorry to hear this Jim as I know you used to get out every morning with the little dog called (I think) Coco..
Trev..
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Jim also sorry to hear about your vision but you have seen my alternative mode of transport. Just an idea
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I'm sorry to hear about your vision Jim, take care.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Thank you all for your kind comments...
Jim.