fibre optic primetel

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
gerryg

fibre optic primetel

Post by gerryg »

Can anyone help.

I have a 200 mbs connection. The network address is PrimeHome-55-ac. Connecting to this gives close to 200mbs. Easy to do on ipads.

We have 2 desktops . One connected by wifi , the other by ethernet. The speed on both of these is close to 100mbs rather than 200mbs it should be.

The reason is simple both are or were connected to the old network PrimeHome-55 and the connection has to be changed. I have done this with the computer connected by wi-fi. And the speed is now close to 200mbs. But I cannot work out how to change the ethernet connection from primehome-55
to primehome-55-ac.

I realise I can ask primetel but if somebody here has the answer I would be grateful

Gerry g
holitec

Re: fibre optic primetel

Post by holitec »

Hi Gerry,

There is a simple answer to this, your ethernet card in your computer is a 10/100 not a 10/100/1000 one, or you only have a 100Mbps cable, not a cat5e/Cat6 cable.

Therefore the maximum speed will be limited by the hardware to 100Mbps.

The 2.4G primetel-55 connection is the older standard, so will probably be limited to less than 150Mbps (if you are really close to the router), probably 54Mbps.

Regards,

Digby
gerryg

Re: fibre optic primetel

Post by gerryg »

Hi Digby

Thankyou so much for your extremely helpful reply.

It had never occurred to me that it could be a cable or ethernet card issue. Funnily enough my brothers partner said , last night,that she suspected it could be to do with the cables but was not sure.

As it stands I get over 200mbps with wi fi and close to 100 mbps with the ethernet connection. And it not worth putting a new ethernet card in what is quite an old computer. 100mbps is fast enough . Prior to fibre optic I was getting just under 30mbps on everything.

So thanks again

Gerryg