Feral cats again!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Feral cats again!

Post by Devil »

In December, we had here a thread on feral cats on the island. There is little doubt that they are a nuisance, especially their ability to kill wildlife. Today, the BBC have published an article on the same topic on a different island, a much bigger one, but the scale is probably more in Cyprus than in Australia, with a reported 1.5 million feral moggies here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64806771
JimX

Re: Feral cats again!

Post by JimX »

BUT....Cats no rats, rats no cats....live with it! :roll:
Jim.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

JimX wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:29 pm BUT....Cats no rats, rats no cats....live with it! :roll:
This is not true. Cats will eat rats only as a last resort. They much prefer mice, lizards, frogs, large insects and suchlike. If a cat tries to go for a rat, the latter fights back and can wound the cat, which instinctively backs away. There is even no mention of rats in:
Small rodents (voles and mice) make up 40% or more of the feral domestic cat diet; however, young rabbits and hares may compose a large portion of prey. A variety of other prey (birds, reptiles, frogs, and insects) are also taken, but in smaller amounts.
https://carnivora.ca/carnivora-cats/cat ... g-behavior

No mention of rats in this article or in some other references. Interestingly, the "young rabbits and hares" mentioned above surprised me a bit, but it is obvious when you think about it. Okay we have no rabbits here but we do have hares.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

The cats have been here for thousands of years and will probably outlast the human presence on Cyprus. I don't believe in the government's ability or willingness to tackle the problem effectively.

I don't get the hatred for cats. The barking dogs disturb me far more. Given that cats have been here for at least 9,500 years, any damage to the ecosystem was done long ago - and cats are firmly a part of that ecosystem by now.

And of course cats eat rats - especially hungry feral cats.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

...on Cyprus date to at least 7500 BC – the earliest proven association of cats with humans – there is no known connection between those ancient tamed-wild specimens and modern domesticated Cyprus cats Felis silvestris catus. There is no evidence that modern cats of any variety are descended from ancient Cypriot wildcats, Felis silvestris lybica.

I don't hate cats, but they literally get up my nose! :-) What I dislike about them, other than that, is their sheer number, at least since my dog died nearly 6 years ago! At the last count, there were six that regularly hunted in my garden – I was informed today that one of them has just had another litter. I wouldn't have kept six dogs in in the garden – one was sufficient to keep the cats down without harming them.

ATCHOOM!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Personally, I like the ancient Egyptian way of keeping cats, making them sacred.

The problem could be brought under control with trapping and neutering, but it seems that other than animal charities, very little is done in this regard.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Pafos

Post by Pafos »

“don't hate cats, but they literally get up my nose!”

I’m sure they would speak very highly of you if they could .. How about you accept that you live on an island with many cats, maybe just get on with it? Perhaps you would like to change other things that have been here before you also?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cyprus has a major problem with too many cats, it will have to be addressed sooner rather then later
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Our two rescue cats regularly display rats they have killed on our terrace. Not nice but better than rats in the garden.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

We have a feral cat feeding area about 100m away. The cats are fed a variety of food on a regular basis.
Rats run along the hedgerow and up the trees - nothing to fear!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

galexinda wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:02 am We have a feral cat feeding area about 100m away. The cats are fed a variety of food on a regular basis.
Of course they have nothing to fear! Rats proliferate because the well fed cats ignore them. If you want cats to eat whatever they can find in the natural world, never feed the buggers. As I said earlier, rats are not the cats favourite food; they are a last resort driven by hunger.
JimX

Post by JimX »

That's your opinion devil, personally I dislike rats and mice over cats. No smart comments please. Oh and don't forget snakes, I have had two deposited by cats in my front yard.
Jim.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

JimX wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:12 pm That's your opinion devil, personally I dislike rats and mice over cats. No smart comments please. Oh and don't forget snakes, I have had two deposited by cats in my front yard.
That's a black mark for the cats! Snakes are excellent predators of rats and mice, certainly better than cats for rats. However, cats may be better for mice. They probably brought them to you because they didn't like the competition!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil

You refer to cats as 'buggers'.

Very sad that you have seemingly never had the honour of loving, and being loved by, at cat. As I see it, you have missed out on a wonderful gift.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The animal party of cyprus has stated there are @ 1.5 million cats, more cats then people, what these do gooders who feed them, fail to understand is they are adding to to the problem, spin it how you want, but the problem and it is a problem will have to be addressed at some point, let the feral cats fend for them selfs and let nature take its cause. And please dont come back to me with your , your missing out on not having a loving cat blah blah blah, we have a cat and the wife shows the damn thing more love then she shows me.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Well --
If you eat all your Kit e Kat and try being more affectionate - Who Knows
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:27 pm Well --
If you eat all your Kit e Kat and try being more affectionate - Who Knows
Nah I'm not furry enough :shock:
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Devil wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:58 am
galexinda wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:02 am We have a feral cat feeding area about 100m away. The cats are fed a variety of food on a regular basis.
Of course they have nothing to fear! Rats proliferate because the well fed cats ignore them. If you want cats to eat whatever they can find in the natural world, never feed the buggers. As I said earlier, rats are not the cats favourite food; they are a last resort driven by hunger.
Devil,your spot on,thats exactly factual.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

WHL wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:23 pm The animal party of cyprus has stated there are @ 1.5 million cats, more cats then people, what these do gooders who feed them, fail to understand is they are adding to to the problem, spin it how you want, but the problem and it is a problem will have to be addressed at some point, let the feral cats fend for them selfs and let nature take its cause. And please dont come back to me with your , your missing out on not having a loving cat blah blah blah, we have a cat and the wife shows the damn thing more love then she shows me.
Many of the people who feed and care for the cats are the same people who have them neutered. It's much easier to catch and treat/sterilise cats that trust you.

Also, feeding isn't the big issue - it's open bins.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

The cats cause us no harm but they suffer badly. That's why we should be sterilising as many as possible, something that I personally contribute to financially and practically. I wish people would take action in a humane manner rather than just complain.

What would a successful sterilisation plan look like? It would have to be island-wide, including the north, it would need to accurately identify where all the colonies are, and the initial sterilisation push would need to take place over a fairly short period of time. Ideally, owned cats should also be sterilised. Large numbers of volunteers would be needed and I believe they could be found. However, large amounts of money and efficient organisation would also be required and the government won't or can't provide those.