Salad

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Uncle D

Salad

Post by Uncle D »

IMG20230226150928.jpg
IMG20230226150928.jpg (153.4 KiB) Viewed 2662 times
Just for our UK members
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Mike1940

Re: Salad

Post by Mike1940 »

Uncle D .....Am I allowed to CANCEL YOU?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Uncle D, I have news for you, with our weather, you would have to be mad to want salad in February!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Why, its warm indoors, isnt it?
Last edited by Uncle D on Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Perhaps you have plenty Avocados as an alternative. This is my salad today after I had a huge village salad yesterday at the fish tavern....

Avocado, cut small, on top apple cider vinegar, pepper, curcuma, garlic, shrimps, roe cream.

Max
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Max

I have to say that it does look good.

Uncle D

Yes it is, but you have to go out to buy the salad.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Talking of shrimps, my help made a shrimp and potato pie last night. The pie was delicious, except for the shrimps which looked good but completely without flavour. Of course, they were frozen and I find that all frozen fish seems tasteless these days. I put this down to the fact that the fish is frozen on the trawlers, within minutes of being howked out of the sea. When I was a kid, fish tasted like fish, probably because it was three days old before it reached the fishmonger's slab and had time to mature.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I agree that food looks tasty David but we are all on a diet of gruel over here :lol: But seriously the media are constantly reporting a shortage of food in the UK & all sorts of doom & gloom & a lot of it is not true however we do miss your climate & I certainly miss tasty tomatoes, halloumi, olives & grapes just to mention a few
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

jagwheels wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:33 pm I agree that food looks tasty however we do miss your climate & I certainly miss tasty tomatoes, halloumi, olives & grapes just to mention a few
Well, tasty tomatoes, halloumi, olives we have all the time here in CY, but 26-27c, for the last day of February, forecast for tomorrow at Paphos are very welcome not only for me.... :) :) air-con heating will have a break, maybe for good this year? nobody knows....

Max
Susanna

Post by Susanna »

My husband went shopping in our local Asda this morning. He said that there was plenty of salad stuff available. Don’t believe everything the media would have you believe.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Same here, went to a local Aldi, plenty of salad items, plus other fruit and vegetables.

Not that I bought salad, it's freezing here. Just the thought of it makes me shiver.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

If it's any consolation we are finding it hard to get a decent turnip 😀
David
jeba

Post by jeba »

Not sure whether I should tell my recipe for salad dressing because it contains ingredients you can´t buy in Cyprus ("Salat-fix", a bag of condiments you get at each German supermarket). Anyway: I´ll dissolve 1 bag of Salat-fix in about 30 ml of water, add about 150g of sheep yoghourt, mustard, balsamic vinegar and about 100 g of feta cheese as well as a few caraway seeds, garlic and onion in a blender and add olive oil.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Uncle D wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:18 am If it's any consolation we are finding it hard to get a decent turnip 😀
That must be a bummer if you are Cornish. Although my wife isn't she has mastered this art & makes them every week
P1010633.JPG
P1010633.JPG (213.66 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Norv, they look absolutely delicious, she should market them.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

They look good but, hey, this country uses metric W&M, in preference to apothecarys' drams!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

They're the best pasties that I've ever seen, Jag
David
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Thank you David & in answer to Devil's response where he recently said on another topic "As a traditional stick-in-the-mud" I also stick to what I am comfortable with :D