You do NOT need to change a Yellow Slip for an MUKW ID card

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: You do NOT need to change a Yellow Slip for an MUKW ID card

Post by Kili01 »

The main difference between the 2 forms is that the MUKW3 form for permanent residence is a barometric card with more positive ID as this will contain your photo and fingerprints. Thus transition between 2 EU countries should be much easier and more to the point offer secure ID, presumably they will be harder for anyone to forge.
There is a problem with the paper old MEU forms which are easier to photocopy.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:23 pm The main difference between the 2 forms is that the MUKW3 form for permanent residence is a barometric card with more positive ID as this will contain your photo and fingerprints. Thus transition between 2 EU countries should be much easier and more to the point offer secure ID, presumably they will be harder for anyone to forge.
There is a problem with the paper old MEU forms which are easier to photocopy.

Dee
The thing your missing is, you cannot use this card to travel from one EU country to another, as an non EU citizen you will need a passport.

Or to put it simpler if you turn up at larnaca airport with only this card you will not be allowed to fly.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Obviously we will need to carry both passports and the MUKW3. That should go without saying! You don't need to have this new form until mid 2026, but with it, it should be easier to enter the Schengen countries of the EU. EU member countries have already started issuing new bariometric passports to their citizens, so far the UK has not.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:21 am Obviously we will need to carry both passports and the MUKW3. That should go without saying! You don't need to have this new form until mid 2026, but with it, it should be easier to enter the Schengen countries of the EU. EU member countries have already started issuing new bariometric passports to their citizens, so far the UK has not.

Dee
Im sorry i still don't see how it will be easier to enter EU countries by having this new card, the only thing immigration control at all EU countries are interested in is your passport,
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:21 am Obviously we will need to carry both passports and the MUKW3. That should go without saying! You don't need to have this new form until mid 2026, but with it, it should be easier to enter the Schengen countries of the EU. EU member countries have already started issuing new bariometric passports to their citizens, so far the UK has not.

Dee
the only thing that is reasonably certain about the MUKW3 is that the rules about it will have changed by mid 2026.. particularly as all forms of cyprus ID etc are now due to start changing in 2024.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

From the Cyprus Mail today, just to add to the confusion, 3rd para from the end is interesting.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/02/27/cypr ... ce-of-ids/

Sorry to appear picky, but it’s Biometric, not Barometric, though I do accept most of us like to talk about the weather 😎

Ian
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

In the Tala Community Newsletter:

RESIDENCY DOCUMENTATION - RELEVANT ONLY FOR THOSE ON YELLOW SLIPS, IE not the biometric residency cards

RESIDENCY DOCUMENTATION - RELEVANT ONLY FOR THOSE ON YELLOW SLIPS [ie NOT the biometric residency cards]

As mentioned previously, the current MEU3 issued as a yellow slip does not carry any expiry date. Under EU legislation, an expiry date should be shown. The British High Commission have been advised that those who have a yellow slip will need to upgrade this to a biometric residency by April 2026.

You will recall that prior to Brexit when everyone was encouraged to formalise their residency, mention was made of a 'fast-track' process at a later date to allow people to upgrade their yellow slip to a biometric card. Work is still underway with the Cyprus Government to try and facilitate this. The deadline of April 2026 may help focus their minds on the issue!

On a separate but related issue, from late 2023, it is expected that UK citizens wishing to travel into Europe will need an ETIAS visa waiver.

1 If you have a biometric residency card, you will not need to apply for this as you will be able to travel into Europe with your biometric residency card, along with your passport.

2 If you are on a yellow slip you will need to apply for an ETIAS to travel into Europe.

However

1 Currently, a price of €7 for a 3 year ETIAS per person has been quoted. You will be able to apply for this online, print at home, and the procedure appears straight-forward - but the ETIAS system will not be launched until late 2023, possibly November. So, if you are travelling into Europe before around November 2023, you do not need to worry about this until any trip post November 2023.

2 As against, an upgrade [on current prices so could increase] to a biometric card of €30pp - and once you have this it will be renewable every 10 years [against the yellow slip which currently has no expiry date, although April 2026 has been set as a deadline for conversion to biometric]

So, unless you have an urgent requirement for a biometric residency, it is suggested that in view of the lengthy delays at Paphos Immigration, you wait for further information about a possible fast-track system to upgrade your yellow slip to a biometric residency.

If anyone does have an urgent need to upgrade to a biometric residency, it is understood that appointments are available at Limassol Immigration within a short period of time, as opposed to Paphos which is around 3-4 months minimum.

Information regarding the ETIAS system will be provided once a release date for this is launched.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
tonee

Post by tonee »

Hi thanks for that info,how would they cope with the thousands that would have to go through this process.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:15 pm In the Tala Community Newsletter:

RESIDENCY DOCUMENTATION - RELEVANT ONLY FOR THOSE ON YELLOW SLIPS, IE not the biometric residency cards

RESIDENCY DOCUMENTATION - RELEVANT ONLY FOR THOSE ON YELLOW SLIPS [ie NOT the biometric residency cards]

As mentioned previously, the current MEU3 issued as a yellow slip does not carry any expiry date. Under EU legislation, an expiry date should be shown. The British High Commission have been advised that those who have a yellow slip will need to upgrade this to a biometric residency by April 2026.

You will recall that prior to Brexit when everyone was encouraged to formalise their residency, mention was made of a 'fast-track' process at a later date to allow people to upgrade their yellow slip to a biometric card. Work is still underway with the Cyprus Government to try and facilitate this. The deadline of April 2026 may help focus their minds on the issue!

On a separate but related issue, from late 2023, it is expected that UK citizens wishing to travel into Europe will need an ETIAS visa waiver.

1 If you have a biometric residency card, you will not need to apply for this as you will be able to travel into Europe with your biometric residency card, along with your passport.

2 If you are on a yellow slip you will need to apply for an ETIAS to travel into Europe.

However

1 Currently, a price of €7 for a 3 year ETIAS per person has been quoted. You will be able to apply for this online, print at home, and the procedure appears straight-forward - but the ETIAS system will not be launched until late 2023, possibly November. So, if you are travelling into Europe before around November 2023, you do not need to worry about this until any trip post November 2023.

2 As against, an upgrade [on current prices so could increase] to a biometric card of €30pp - and once you have this it will be renewable every 10 years [against the yellow slip which currently has no expiry date, although April 2026 has been set as a deadline for conversion to biometric]

So, unless you have an urgent requirement for a biometric residency, it is suggested that in view of the lengthy delays at Paphos Immigration, you wait for further information about a possible fast-track system to upgrade your yellow slip to a biometric residency.

If anyone does have an urgent need to upgrade to a biometric residency, it is understood that appointments are available at Limassol Immigration within a short period of time, as opposed to Paphos which is around 3-4 months minimum.

Information regarding the ETIAS system will be provided once a release date for this is launched.
Thank you, that is the best explanation so far
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

WHL wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:08 pm
Lofos-Jan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:15 pm In the Tala Community Newsletter:

However

Thank you, that is the best explanation so far
Two small amendments... the current system for the upgrade of the yellow slip to the plastic card is the "fast track" system that was promised (and its difficult to see how it could be any faster) and the introduction of ETIAS has been pushed back to an unspecified date in 2024.

If anyone could point me to the "EU legislation" requiring the MEU3s etc to be upgraded by 2026 then id be grateful.. because i cant find any credible links to this...
Polly

Post by Polly »

Can someone please explain where to download the application form for someone who has an MEU3; where to get information on what is needed and how to book an appointment as it seems booked forever.I have just had a look at the migration website and nothing seems clear.

Thanks
Discobolus

Post by Discobolus »

If a person hasn’t the facilities to download and print a copy of the application form is it possible to pick one up from somewhere in Paphos.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thanks Les

I have seen this a year or so ago and couldn't open a file. I think this website has defeated me. In the past I have done all the
bureaucratic stuff myself but I think this time I'll have to get an agent to help.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The required form is obtainable from the Immigration Dept. Or Gwenny has them. I went to her office a couple of weeks ago. I provided the required documents, they helped with my application and submitted it.
A few days later they rang me to offer me an appointment at
Immigration, which had been cancelled previously, the following day.I went along, and it was all done and dusted. Very efficient service as ever via Gwenny's.
Yes, there is a charge, but I regard it as far less stressful than trying to to this by myself.
Dee
daveg

Post by daveg »

Did it ourselves....don't really see what you gain by using an agent....
You can get an appointment online ,plus the application form ,which is very easy to fill out...,along with passport and copy, and MEU3 plus copy..
The appointment system is far better than the old days....
Using an agent still means you have to turn up for photo and finger print.....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've never understood the need to use an agent either, in most cases. Some people even use them to renew their UK passports. I honestly don't know how they manage to get out of bed in the morning, without first consulting somebody.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Horses for courses... depending on how proficient an individual is with using and researching Cyprus Govt information on a computer. However not all of us are. Ok claim the moral high ground, but individuals must decide what's best for them.
Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Dee, how much did it cost for the agent? Not everyone can afford an agent, so it would be helpful to know the costs.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Uncle D.,
Total cost was €30 for the MUKW application and €50 to Gwenny's. It is a business which has to pay staff, plus other costs, not a charity. For this, you have a member of staff who deals with everything in connection with your application, and your visit to immigration dept. My dealings with them have been stress free.

Dee
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:15 pm Hi Uncle D.,
Total cost was €30 for the MUKW application and €50 to Gwenny's. It is a business which has to pay staff, plus other costs, not a charity. For this, you have a member of staff who deals with everything in connection with your application, and your visit to immigration dept. My dealings with them have been stress free.

Dee
Hi Dee - PM sent