Delving into the Paphos region’s past

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Delving into the Paphos region’s past

Post by memory man »

A museum on the west coast has it all culturally, from ceramic pots to gourds used as swimming floats. PAUL LAMBIS has a look around

Folk art represents a culture’s ethnicity and traditions. That in Paphos depicts the community’s cultural life expressed via the art forms that are widespread in the region.

“The folk and traditional arts, which include crafts, dance, music, oral traditions, visual arts and others, are those learned as part of the cultural life of a community whose members share a common ethnic heritage, cultural mores, language, religion, occupation, or geographic region,” executive manager of the Paphos regional board of tourism Nasos Hadjigeorgiou said.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/01/05/delv ... ions-past/
PolemIan

Re: Delving into the Paphos region’s past

Post by PolemIan »

The village museum in Steni is also well worth a visit - as are the platter meals, in The Watermill tavern which is just opposite.

Ian
josef k

Post by josef k »

The Museum of Folk Art in Geroskipou is a fascinating place and well worth a visit.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Please don’t post entire articles, and any pictures that aren’t yours or that you don’t have permission to post.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Josef k, please could you post directions to this museum in Geroskipou?
I would like to visit it. I read something about it in a local advertisement mag. But there were no details about visiting or hours it is open.

Thanks for more info.
Dee
CanadaNatasha22

Post by CanadaNatasha22 »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:45 pm Josef k, please could you post directions to this museum in Geroskipou?
I would like to visit it. I read something about it in a local advertisement mag. But there were no details about visiting or hours it is open.

Thanks for more info.
Dee
This is the Department of Antiquities website: http://www.mcw.gov.cy/mcw/DA/DA.nsf/All ... 990020C289
Use Google maps to find Folk Art Museum on the B6 (Arch. Makariou III Ave), there's plenty of dedicated parking onsite. If you show up around lunchtime the caretaker might be away for a short time getting his lunch.
Jan Takeaway around the corner has excellent Lebanese food.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:45 pm Josef k, please could you post directions to this museum in Geroskipou?

Thanks for more info.
Dee
Drive into Geroskipou centre from Paphos. Pass the square on your right. Take second right (there will be a sign to the museum) and it's immediately on your right.
Normal opening times are 9:30 to 4:00 every day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Many thanks, Josef k.I'll be able to find it now!

Dee