Property rentals?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Property rentals?

Post by Chaddy »

At a recent board meeting ( down at the pub of course ) a new member of the board said his rental contract was due to expire next month and he had got notification that the rent will increase.
Another member of the board ( always a prophet of doom ) said his rent will increase dramatically due to supply and demand of rentals.Another member said,oh no, they can only increase the rent ( by law ) by 8%.Another said landlords can get around this ( only 8% ) by claiming that the property is wanted by a close relation.
Any input on this delicate matter :roll:
Uncle D

Re: Property rentals?

Post by Uncle D »

Chaddy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:58 am At a recent board meeting ( down at the pub of course ) a new member of the board said his rental contract was due to expire next month and he had got notification that the rent will increase.
Another member of the board ( always a prophet of doom ) said his rent will increase dramatically due to supply and demand of rentals.Another member said,oh no, they can only increase the rent ( by law ) by 8%.Another said landlords can get around this ( only 8% ) by claiming that the property is wanted by a close relation.
Any input on this delicate matter :roll:
According to the relevant law, a Landlord can request an increase on the rent amount every two years but the increase in the amount should not be higher than the maximum percentage 8%
If the landlord claims a relative wants to move in then that will mean that they want you out, otherwise call their bluff.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

There is a law covering rent increases, but no landlord in their right mind would want to evict a good tennent , knowing they might get a bad one in,
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

It also comes down to how the actual contract and specific clauses have been "worded" as I have found out to my cost :x - when dealing with Managing Agents, who are supposed to be regulated by the "The Real Estate Agents Registration Council", (which is a semi-governmental organization that reports to the Ministry of Interior and its purpose is the proper observance of the Law on Real Estate Agents No. 71 (I) 2010 and amendment 157 (I) 2012.)

Purely just for information, their website and contact details are here : as I only found out about them this year and they have a complete list of all bone fide agents:
https://ktimatomesites.com/who-we-are/

In respect of rental increases this come under the Rent (Control) Act,of 1983 (N. 23/1983)
There is a very good article about what can be increased here: which you may find useful in respect of "percentage" terms
https://www.multilaw.com/Multilaw/Multi ... yprus.aspx

Unfortunately, the rental situation has gone ballistic and does not appear to be getting any better. i have a friend that moved from Nicosia to the centre of Paphos last year and is paying 550 euros for a two bed furnished flat. She now tells me that her landlord wants to put the rent up to 1000 euros or more when her contract ends.

So, If you can find a decent landlord and can rent directly off and set out a robust mutual agreement regarding rental terms and also "maintenance" repair costs as again I have experience of landlords not wanting to repair stuff (cookers, fridges, when they go wrong due to "call out charges" made by electricians, plumbers etc.) then that is your best bet- but these are few and far between. I have moved 4 times now because of unscrupulous Agents/landlords and consider myself to be very "unlucky" to put it mildly - and am now in my 5th property! since 2016

Just take a look at the rented accommodation that is on offer through- the various established agents and you will be in for a shock!!! when you see the prices!

Don't' even bother to look at a villa near Sea Caves unless you are minted. :roll: .
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

An interesting article in Cyprus Property News giving some of the reasons for the current situation
https://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers ... d=00166837