EAC

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Miloman

EAC

Post by Miloman »

Has anyone else experienced the unhelpfullness and how rude the staff are at the main Paphos EAC office. In my opinion this company is also racist, if you are a non Cypriot you take a ticket and wait. If you are a Cypriot you don't.
Previously MofArodes on CL
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: EAC

Post by Dominic »

I do find Cypriots to be far more confrontational in bureaucratic situations. Or rather, they assume you are going to have a go at them and immediately go on the defensive. When you see how they get shouted at by some of the locals you can understand why. I've seen some blazing rows, but not been able to understand what is going on because of my lack of Greek. If my Greek was good I could tell a queue jumper to wait their turn. My Greek isn't that good though, so I just huff a lot instead.

Racism? No. Learn the lingo. I would say the same to an immigrant in the UK moaning in French that they weren't seen as fast as their English speaking counterpart.

To survive these stressful situations, I always make a point of being as cheerful as I can without being sarcastic. A smile and a Kalimera will melt the most hardened of bureaucratic hearts. At the very least it will let them know that you aren't going to have a go at them, so they might not get so defensive.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

I recall seeing two men , who I presume to be Cypriot, having what I took to be a blazing row in the Lidl carpark.
Voices were raised, arms were being waved around and pointed fingers were being thrust.
I thought, this will turn to blows shortly.

Within a few seconds they were smiling and patting each other on the back, hands were shaken and off they went to their respective cars, with waves being exchanged before the drove off.
I sometimes think it's the language and culture that makes is think that people are being aggressive.
Miloman

Post by Miloman »

Sorry to disagree Dominic but their system is racist in my view. Cypriots do not physically queue jump, they are seen at the door and shown to a desk and dealt with. Other races take a ticket and wait, sometimes a very long time. They are also very rude however nice you are to them. My experience is through visiting many times over 15 years, sometimes with a Cypriot (very quick) and other times without.
I have only come across this system and attitude at the main EAC office, nowhere else. Most Cypriots I know are lovely people.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Like Dominic says, A smile and a kalmera goes a long way,
WHL

Post by WHL »

Miloman wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:33 pm Has anyone else experienced the unhelpfullness and how rude the staff are at the main Paphos EAC office. In my opinion this company is also racist, if you are a non Cypriot you take a ticket and wait. If you are a Cypriot you don't.
Can I ask how long you have lived here? And have you tried to learn some Greek?
Miloman

Post by Miloman »

WHL please read my early reply to Dominic.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

My experiences have been positive. On moving house I had to queue, along with many others for a long time! the security guard stopped queue jumpers, despite their impassioned pleas! When I was eventually seen the man was charming. He told me to come back next week when I was ready t move switch electric from old to new property as it would be better for me. On my return we ended up chatting about many things, including Tony Blair and my surname genealogy/family trees etc. Maybe I was lucky but he was the most helpful charming man and I thoroughly enjoyed being there, despite the queues! Obviously not everyone is as lucky as me, and hopefully I will be that fortunate again.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have lived here for over 20 years and can honestly say that I've never had a cross word, but help when it was needed. I always smile, and say Kalimera, which breaks the ice. You sometimes need patience, especially at EAC head office. You must take a ticket from the machine. I also ask which queue my ticket refers to, that way I and others know when its my turn to go to the counter. I find other people are courteous when spoken to nicely. I admire the general high standard of English spoken in Paphos, both staff and customers.I wish my Greek was as good!
The hardest thing I have had to do was to change the electricity account to my name, following husband's death.Though our name and initials were almost identical, they wouldn't just amend the account name by one letter! But insisted on cancelling the account and starting a new one one.Also to cancel the DD, change it to my initial. And then fail to notify the bank, who of course didn't pay the bill.. I came within an ace of losing my electricity!
Dee
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Miloman wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:10 pm Sorry to disagree Dominic but their system is racist in my view. Cypriots do not physically queue jump, they are seen at the door and shown to a desk and dealt with. Other races take a ticket and wait, sometimes a very long time. They are also very rude however nice you are to them. My experience is through visiting many times over 15 years, sometimes with a Cypriot (very quick) and other times without.
I have only come across this system and attitude at the main EAC office, nowhere else. Most Cypriots I know are lovely people.
ive always found the EAC clerks to be very helpful and polite..
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

I've had mixed experiences with EAC, despite always being polite. One woman was very sarcastic and rude. I had to bite my tongue.

I suspect most if not all of us posting here are white and have no idea what actual racism in Cyprus entails.
WHL

Post by WHL »

wantoosoon wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:56 pm I've had mixed experiences with EAC, despite always being polite. One woman was very sarcastic and rude. I had to bite my tongue.

I suspect most if not all of us posting here are white and have no idea what actual racism in Cyprus entails.
I think you answered your own question when you said, ONE woman was rude, on the whole I have found in over thirty years of living here that if you go in with a smile you will will receive a smile, of cause you will find a rude one here or there, but on the whole the service has been good, lets not forget some of these workers have to deal with rude customers on a daily basis, customers who are peed off, having to pay high electricity prices, and feel its ok to have a pop at the office workers.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

wantoosoon,
I think that I have a good idea about racism in Cyprus, and I am careful to avoid any discussion about politics or the Cyprus problem with locals which often only inflames a situation.
I like the attitude here which is generally non p-c unlike the UK!
Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

I went in today to check on the status of our photovoltiac connection. The initial contact with an advisor (via a number) took only a few minutes and I was directed to a projects office at the end of the building. The gentleman there was extremely helpful and via my ID number provided me with my application number and the phone numbers of the installation department. They in turn were very helpful. I was extremely happy with each stage and didn't have to apply my limited Greek at any stage.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I will always remember my first visit to Immigration, a bloke who claimed he had bought a house and a car in Cyprus was complaining that he had to register as an alien, he said that he felt that he was treated like a Paki.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:21 am I will always remember my first visit to Immigration, a bloke who claimed he had bought a house and a car in Cyprus was complaining that he had to register as an alien, he said that he felt that he was treated like a Paki.
Unfortunately I've come across a few of those over the years
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

But this was about EAC! Now immigration is a different subject......
darrow

Post by darrow »

I have never come across bad manners or racist behaviour in EAC. I am not disputing it exists though. There was/is an older man in the Post office who works front desk who regularly ignores foreigners or deliberately sends people to the wrong desk! I have been victim to this and also an observer. I don't let it rattle me! If he feels superior or important by doing this, then, if anything I feel pity for him! I always treat people as i wish to be treated. Incidentally I have seen examples of very rude behaviour towards other people by Brits, not just to other races. Sad fact of life. There are always a few.
MiaBeth

Post by MiaBeth »

After a recent house move I have been into E A C quite a few times changing electric supply from one property to another. I have only been treated with efficiency and courtesy.