Conditions at Paphos general hospital ‘tragic’ says mayor

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Conditions at Paphos general hospital ‘tragic’ says mayor

Post by memory man »

Conditions at Paphos general hospital are “tragic, appalling and utterly shameful”, Paphos mayor Phedonas Phedonos said on Monday.

Citing examples he had witnessed himself, Phedonos said that both the management as well as the physical state of the buildings were outrageously poor.

“When it rains, the cleaners are running about putting out ten to fifteen buckets to collect leaks, the whole place has rubbish and is in disarray,” the mayor said speaking to CyBC radio.

Even more serious than the physical shortcomings of a building which in its 32 years of existence has never seen a renovation, the mayor said, is the lack of hospital beds.

The mayor highlighted the pediatric unit in particular, saying that only four beds were now available, after beds had to be ceded to the maternity ward.

“Parents who bring their children in, with potentially serious conditions, are being told they are ‘lucky’ if a bed is found for the child in Limassol, or even Larnaca,” the mayor said. He added that it is only a matter of time before a tragedy happens when a parent decides not to drive this unreasonable distance if the child does not appear critically unwell.

The mayor cited another example of overhearing a frustrated doctor trying desperately to find a bed for an intubated patient, who then had to be taken by ambulance to Limassol general hospital.

“I heard the doctor say: ‘Limassol did us a favour, they’re taking him,’” the mayor said. “What kind of language is this?!”

Admitting that the issue in not directly under his remit, Phaedonas said he felt compelled to speak out as he receives complaints from residents on the matter daily.

He also took a swipe at non Gesy doctors. “Certain private doctors, members of Gesy, are making a killing out of the situation, as the visibly poor conditions at Paphos hospital are the best negative advertisement for state care.

“Even though it is not [private clinics’] fault, the conditions are favourable for them and pave the way for private entities to come in and take over,” the mayor added.

He laid the ultimate blame on Gesy directors: it does not matter “whether it was through negligence or incompetence” the current situation at Paphos hospital is as it is.

A press conference will be called in the following days, the mayor said, and a possible citizens protest will be held outside the entrance to draw attention to the unacceptable situation, while he also called on patients and staff to “conscientiously publicise footage” of hospital conditions.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/11/21/cond ... ays-mayor/
Kili01

Re: Conditions at Paphos general hospital ‘tragic’ says mayor

Post by Kili01 »

The Mayor's view is right. This hospital was very smart looking when it opened, but that was over 30 years ago. It badly needs updating while a full renovation and complete re decoration is also needed. Plus some new fixtures and fittings.

Where does the money for this come from? I don't know if the EU gives grants for this purpose?

I am told the surgical care is good at Paphos hospital, but that the nursing care in some wards leaves a lot to be desired.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

“conscientiously publicise footage” of hospital conditions.

That could be interesting. People have been prosecuted in the past for doing that, haven't they?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have personally seen the inside of a toilet cleaned with a mop and then the mop used on the floor.
This photo is from 2017 though .
Attachments
1-3-IMG_8640.JPG
1-3-IMG_8640.JPG (113.53 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Trev..
sueb

Post by sueb »

Have always thought why don't they charge 1 euro for parking at the harbour and then this to be used for the General. Could also do this at the Hospital itself.

I am sure the Mayor could be proactive in doing something about the hospital.

Or he could divert some of the Smart payment parking scheme money to improve the hospital.
Happy to be back on the Island!
WHL

Post by WHL »

sueb wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:59 pm Have always thought why don't they charge 1 euro for parking at the harbour and then this to be used for the General. Could also do this at the Hospital itself.

Or he could divert some of the Smart payment parking scheme money to improve the hospital.
Hospital funding is under the ministry of health, i don't know the Paphos general, but by the sound of things , it would need tens of millions spent on it
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I have been a patient in Paphos Hospital, although to be fair, it was quite some time ago.

Having been a nurse in the NHS, I have to say that some practices used by nurses in Paphos Hospital were dreadful, some actually dangerous, seriously risking infecting patients. One SISTER opened a dressing pack, donned the sterile gloves within, dropped a bandage on the floor, and then picked it up, with said gloves, and replaced it within the pack. Just one of many examples.

I sincerely hope that nursing standards have improved since then. After reading Trevor's post, it seems that cleaning standards are still bad.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:11 pm I have been a patient in Paphos Hospital, although to be fair, it was quite some time ago.

Having been a nurse in the NHS, I have to say that some practices used by nurses in Paphos Hospital were dreadful, some actually dangerous, seriously risking infecting patients. One SISTER opened a dressing pack, donned the sterile gloves within, dropped a bandage on the floor, and then picked it up, with said gloves, and replaced it within the pack. Just one of many examples.

I sincerely hope that nursing standards have improved since then. After reading Trevor's post, it seems that cleaning standards are still bad.
I think you need to take a closer look at home first
The report, published by the House of Commons public accounts committee, estimated that there are at least 100000 cases of hospital acquired infection in England each year. This costs the NHS as much as £1bn a year.
There are also 1000s of deaths resulting from this.
A quick google came up with many statistics, as a former nurse I'm suprised you never mentioned this when comparing Uk hospitals to Cypriot ones?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Why is there a need to take a closer look at home first?
The post is not comparing Cyprus with the UK... It is stating how bad the Paphos general Hospital is now. My post and the one from Firefly are saying it has been bad for a number of years
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:00 pm Why is there a need to take a closer look at home first?
The post is not comparing Cyprus with the UK... It is stating how bad the Paphos general Hospital is now. My post and the one from Firefly are saying it has been bad for a number of years
This lady lives in the UK and as a former nurse she was comparing Cyprus hospital practices to UK hospital practises, I was not defending the state of Paphos hospital, if you read my earlier post , you would see, I said that it properbly needs millions spent to bring it up to scratch . That is the reason I felt the need to mention the state of UK hospital infection rates, she failed to mention.it.while at the same time trashing Paphos hospital.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hospital blunders in the UK killed my Mum. But if it wasn't for the same hospital, our daughter wouldn't have survived the first few days after childbirth.

Nowhere is perfect,
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

sueb wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:59 pm Have always thought why don't they charge 1 euro for parking at the harbour and then this to be used for the General. Could also do this at the Hospital itself.

Hospital funding has nothing to do with the Mayor, he’s simply looking out for those who live in Paphos town.

Ian
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Firefly tells the story of bad practices in Paphos hospital before we came to Cyprus my wife’s was visiting her mother in a hospital in Essex the nurse came to take some blood from her mother she dropped the tape to put on her arm on the floor she was about to use the same piece when my wife stopped her and insisted she use a new piece.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I was in no way defending practices in the UK, indeed, my dear late husband acquired a particularly 'nasty' infection in a UK hospital. As far as I am concerned, that was a major factor in his death, although it is not mentioned on his death certificate.

Things in the UK health care are not up to the standard that we used to have. If our hair was shoulder length, it had to be tied back, now it seems that it's ok for staff to lean over patients with their hair hanging over open wounds in A & E. Doctors with beards doing likewise. We could not leave the hospital in uniform, now it appears that it's the norm. A couple of examples of slipping standards.

That said, WHL can't help himself having a pop, if I post anything, that's fine, I just find it sad, but it must make him happy.

Trevor and I have seen some awful things in Paphos General, that is a fact.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:48 pm I was in no way defending practices in the UK, indeed, my dear late husband acquired a particularly 'nasty' infection in a UK hospital. As far as I am concerned, that was a major factor in his death, although it is not mentioned on his death certificate.

Things in the UK health care are not up to the standard that we used to have. If our hair was shoulder length, it had to be tied back, now it seems that it's ok for staff to lean over patients with their hair hanging over open wounds in A & E. Doctors with beards doing likewise. We could not leave the hospital in uniform, now it appears that it's the norm. A couple of examples of slipping standards.

That said, WHL can't help himself having a pop, if I post anything, that's fine, I just find it sad, but it must make him happy.

Trevor and I have seen some awful things in Paphos General, that is a fact.
Call it having a pop if it makes you feel better, but you were obviously comparing UK standards v Cyprus Standards, otherwise why mention you were a nurse in the UK. You trashed Paphos hospital standards ( with jastfication) but never mentioned how many thousands suffer infections and deaths back in the UK,
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

WHL wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:26 pm
Firefly wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:11 pm I have been a patient in Paphos Hospital, although to be fair, it was quite some time ago.

I think you need to take a closer look at home first
The report, published by the House of Commons public accounts committee, estimated that there are at least 100000 cases of hospital acquired infection in England each year. This costs the NHS as much as £1bn a year.
There are also 1000s of deaths resulting from this.
A quick google came up with many statistics, as a former nurse I'm suprised you never mentioned this when comparing Uk hospitals to Cypriot ones?
The UK is pretty average with regard to hospital-acquired infections, and Cyprus is significantly worse. The graph also highlights that Cyprus has a bigger issue with antibiotic-resistant infections, no doubt due to overuse.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

Last post to you on the subject of this thread.

I speak as I find, and with experience in nursing in the UK. I am unable to speak as an employed nurse in Cyprus, only as experience of being a patient.

I have addressed your criticism of my lack of comment of hospital acquired infections in the UK, even with my own heartbreaking experience, that doesn't satisfy you. I consider you to be a paper bully, however, your tactics are not worthy of further consideration/concern by myself.