BA Avios points.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

BA Avios points.

Post by Chaddy »

I was informed by a member of the board ( down at the pub of course ) that your avios points expire if not used for three years. :o
I have got a fair amount but dont intend to fly with BA until next year which will take me over three years not having used them.
Oh dear,what can i do :?
trevnhil

Re: BA Avios points.

Post by trevnhil »

Get in touch with BA, or at least look on the internet
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

We lost a bunch
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

If you take out a credit card that gives you Avios points or collect them another way you will be OK, you only loose points if you don't add or spend points for more than 3 years.

Gary.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

glang3000 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:26 pm If you take out a credit card that gives you Avios points or collect them another way you will be OK, you only loose points if you don't add or spend points for more than 3 years.

Gary.
Thanks glang,done it :D
Ams

Post by Ams »

glang3000 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:26 pm If you take out a credit card that gives you Avios points or collect them another way you will be OK, you only loose points if you don't add or spend points for more than 3 years.

Gary.
What about if you just buy from Avios points from their website? Is that enough to stop them expiring?

Avios didn't use to expire, I have some collected over many many years and don't particularly want to lose, but I have no travel plans at the moment that could use them.
Last edited by Ams on Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Ams wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:00 pm

Gary.
What about if you just buy from Avios points from their website? Is that enough to stop them expiring?

Avios didn't use to expire, I have some collected over many many years and don't particularly want to use, but I have no travel plans at the moment that could use them.
Now thats also a good idea.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We had the same problem. They were due to expire in November. Whilst in the UK in the summer we opened a BA Credit Card account (AMEX) They gave us 5000 points for spending a certain amount on it for the 1st three months.

The other thing we did was transfer, each month, the maximum number of Avios to Nectar Points. We used these to buy electrical items from Argos. I don't think Nectar points expire but can't be certain.

When we purchased from Argos, we used the link on the Avios website to shop at Argos, which gave us additional Avios points.

All of our points now have 2 years life. All we have to do now is make sure we use our Avios BA credit card to make sure Avios are added regularly.

We originally started collecting Avios when BA flew Manchester to Paphos. When they stopped, our points became difficult to spend. We were going to use them for some city breaks before COVID. However, often you can get cheaper all inclusive deals for city breaks. Linking your card to Nectar and spending your points at Argos or Sainsbury's seems a good way to use them.
Ams

Post by Ams »

Unfortunately the linking your Avios to a credit card or Nectar card is no use to me as I am not British and have no money in the UK...

The solution would be a go on exciting holiday across the world, flying via UK on BA or affiliate, to use rather than lose all my points, but alas, that's not really possible for me before my points expire.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

In the past I had no luck at all trying to get the flights I wanted using my BA points. I was a serious business traveller, hire car and hotel user all linked to BA. Flights were always not available and eventually I gave up on them and they fell into invalid status after 3 years.