What's the name of this huge bird of prey?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

What's the name of this huge bird of prey?

Post by cyprusmax47 »

First time that I could photograph such a big bird of prey in my own garden. It was just getting dark when I saw something huge landing at my pool area through the window. So I went to get my camera ready, went outside and the bird flew to the next palm tree, where I was able to get 2 photos from it.

The quality of the first pic was OK, however the second one was slightly blurred, but I want to show the front of the bird.
The size of the bird was quite large when you compare it with the fruit leaf of the palm tree above it, which is ca 1.50m long and 30cm wide...

Is anybody on this forum who know the name? I photographed Bonelli's in the past but I think they looked different, however I am not a expert.

So here the photos which made my day.

blurred one

Max
71 Trans Am

Re: What's the name of this huge bird of prey?

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Spinky47

Post by Spinky47 »

Hi Max, I think it could be Eleanora's Falcon. They are a visitor to Cyprus.
Klaus

h
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

For sure It's not an Osprey and it is also not an Eleanor's.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

It is a juvenile Honey Buzzard. Pernis apivorus. Μελισσοσιάχινο.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

bromerzz wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:39 pm It is a juvenile Honey Buzzard. Pernis apivorus. Μελισσοσιάχινο.
Thank you "bromerzz", I think that is the bird. At the moment every day there are loads of bee-eaters, feeding on all the wasps which they can hunt on the next door field. They come early morning and midday to the afternoon. Obviously the Honey Buzzard was following them. What amazes me is the fact that it was still active so late in the afternoon as it was nearly dark. Perhaps it was also disturbed from the large bush fire which happened same time near the Ezousa valley which is near my place.

What Bird Life Cyprus had to say:

"Key information: The Honey Buzzard is a large bird of prey with a slim neck and a small head. There is great variation in its plumage, which makes identification difficult. Typical characteristics include a small head and the broad bands underneath its wings. It is an unusual bird of prey as it feeds on bees and wasps. It visits Cyprus during migration and can be seen in large numbers or in flocks, mainly in the autumn. It is more likely to be seen flying than perched.

Length: 52 – 59 cm | Wingspan: 113 – 135 cm
Habitat: Farmland, scrub and bushes
When they can be seen: Autumn, spring
What they eat: Invertebrates

In Cyprus: Can be seen at Akrotiri Peninsula, Cape Greco and Paphos Plains

Max
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

It was probably looking to roost for the night, in the morning once there would are sufficient thermals it would take off, gain height and carry on its migration south.