ROC stopping UK Expats from North visiting.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
glang3000

ROC stopping UK Expats from North visiting.

Post by glang3000 »

Hi, I am in the ROC (in Paphos) and my friend lives in the North (Kyrenia) and he and his wife often come to visit us and we in return travel and visit them but the ROC have stopped UK citizens from visiting from the north, thy will only give them a day pass but they still have to take 30 days car insurance so all they can do is walk over for a day visit, see attachment below, note it's only UK citizens,all other non EU people Russians, Chinese etc are all OK.

Is this even legal?

Link to poster from ROC transport dept. This is up at the crossing points.
IMG-20220918-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20220918-WA0000.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
jeba

Re: ROC stopping UK Expats from North visiting.

Post by jeba »

I´m no expert but my understanding is that for non-EU citizens it depends on where you entered Cyprus. If you can prove that you entered via the South you´ll have no problem crossing back (unless you´re trying to cross back via a British base).
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Hi Jeba,

No they enter via the south, fly into Larnaca and its only UK citizens not non EU.
WHL

Post by WHL »

If you choose to live in an illegally occupied part of Cyprus, then don't be suprised if travel sanctions are put in place
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Maybe it's to stop this guy coming in. I doubt he will have arrived via the Republic.

https://londragazete.com/english/250844 ... th-cyprus/
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:39 am Maybe it's to stop this guy coming in. I doubt he will have arrived via the Republic.

One of many wrongens hiding out over there.
Ams

Post by Ams »

The notice is from the road transport, it looks like it may only relate to taking your car over / driving licenses.

In this case, UK nationals could still cross over for a few days, as long as they don't take their car.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Life Is Good wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:24 pm I think thing might tighten up a little more at crossing points given that today it’s been announced that direct flights from Russia to Ercan will commence in November.
I wouldn't believe everything that's written in a Turkish news paper.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:39 am Maybe it's to stop this guy coming in. I doubt he will have arrived via the Republic.

TV boxes? I think he'd do well in Paphos!
sued51

Post by sued51 »

I remember the English owner of the accommodation we stayed in several months ago telling us that you had to pay road tax when crossing from north to south and that the rules had changed for UK passport holders that they could only tax vehicles for 1 day at a time. Her main problem with that was she regularly crosses to shop in Nicosia so used to tax her car for at least 3 months, the new rule was going to cost a fortune in comparison.

No doubt some extra money being made with the tax if this is right but possibly losing more in people crossing over to spend money in the ROC.