The Queen’s state funeral.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

The Queen’s state funeral.

Post by Paul »

So how many of you will be watching it on Monday.

It start’s at 11am UK time (1pm here)

I am going to collect a friend so she can come to my house to watch it as she has no UK TV and I am doing the cooking.

Hope there’s no problems with the internet on Monday as I think it’s going to be working overtime!

Paul
trevnhil

Re: The Queen’s state funeral.

Post by trevnhil »

I think there will be many many people in Cyprus watching all the proceedings on Monday. Unless they are working. I would have thought that ordinary jobs around the home could wait for another day.
Like you I hope the internet holds up, but I think it will .
For those without UK TV, I think the dailymail.co.uk will be running a live stream for most of the day.
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We won't be making any personal effort to watch it but there's not much chance of avoiding it as it's all over the UK TV channels.

An interesting article here below. We both fall into the 18 - 24 groups.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... popularity
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Yes I will be watching, she was our Queen for seventy years, the least that any of us can do, is to give her one day.

The Question of the future of the monarchy is another thing, will I be watching the coronation of Charles and Camilla ? No.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

As I have said many times, I am politically neutral. This neutrality extends to royalty, as I am aware of its advantages and disadvantages within the United Kingdom. Yes, I was saddened by the death of the Queen. Without following any debate on the monarchy I neither shed a tear nor did I rejoice at the news. Yes, I remember the coronation of George VI but maybe mainly because we, schoolchildren, were given a tin with Cadbury's chocolate in it, and I had a mug with the images of the king and queen. The date of 12 May 1937 is fixed in my memory. I cannot say the same about the death of the King, mainly because I was in transit between Port Fouad and Famagusta at that moment. So, as the Queen's funeral is taking place with great pomp and ceremony, I try to think about the fact that I know little about her, other than her intense sense of humour. Over recent years, I feel that she is epitomised by

– if this shocks you royalists I make no apology.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I have a similar viewpoint to Devil & perhaps keeping the monarchy which is a given also has the advantage of focussing media attention between government & royalty. It gives both sides a bit of breathing space between scandals but I do admire those people who have waited for hours to pay their respects to the Queen
WHL

Post by WHL »

My wife will be glued to the box, I will not be watching a minute of it.
kansas

Post by kansas »

We' may watch the highlights. I remember staying at home to watch Princess Diana's funeral, and it was quite depressing, understandable considering the circumstances. There has been so much on the news and in the press leading up to the Queens funeral that we may just have her in our thoughts.....
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

mouse wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:18 pm whats with the videos and cartoons associating the Queen with Paddington bear ? dont get me wrong i think PB is great !
I take it you didn't watch the Platinum Jubilee?
That's when it was originally aired and was repeated again.
Mark

Post by Mark »

We will be watching every second of this memorable occasion.

The way the Death of her Majesty has united the nation is humbling.

Yes we are Royalists and proud to be so !

Long live the King
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

i guess there won't be many Celtic fans watching, disrespected the one minutes silence yesterday before their game at St Mirren. They then went on to lose for the first time in the league for a year...................................Karma !!!!
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Mark wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:11 am We will be watching every second of this memorable occasion.

The way the Death of her Majesty has united the nation is humbling.

Yes we are Royalists and proud to be so !

Long live the King
Well said.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I question the wisdom of having a lavish state funeral, paid for by the tax payer, at a time when so many people are having difficulties making ends meet. I would have thought a simpler affair would be more in tune with today's UK.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

josef k wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:33 pm I question the wisdom of having a lavish state funeral, paid for by the tax payer, at a time when so many people are having difficulties making ends meet. I would have thought a simpler affair would be more in tune with today's UK.
It unites the whole country (excluding those who aren't interested), gives us all a common bond, and something to be proud of. That kind of sentiment can work wonders when faced with a coming crisis.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I watched from 10am until 5pm, a once in a lifetime experience. Quite remarkable how the young royal children remained quiet and composed throughout. As usual, our military did us and the late Queen proud.

The end of an era for us all.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

josef k wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:33 pm I question the wisdom of having a lavish state funeral, paid for by the tax payer, at a time when so many people are having difficulties making ends meet. I would have thought a simpler affair would be more in tune with today's UK.
The hundreds and hundreds of thousands, if not millions of U.K. residents who have queued through the night, lined the streets all over the U.K., laid flowers, posted tributes all over the place, etc etc represent a very strong statistical view of the views of the people of the U.K., and to anybody with eyes, are a strong representative mix of ages, sex and ethnic background.

On that basis I’d say the strength and and support for the monarchy is in a pretty good place. I suspect the death of the Queen has made a fair few people realise how they they feel about her in quite a different way than they previously thought.

It’s probably also a subtle message to the press who sometimes have a louder voice than they think that doesn’t proportionally represent the wider views.

Bollocks to the cost, sometimes you have to do what’s right. It’s almost certainly been budgeted for for year.

Ian

PS worst case cost of the Royal Family I’ve seen is by a pro Republic group is at £345million per annum, call it £5 per head per annum, and they don’t mention the income that must be generated by tourism due to the existence of the royal family.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I feel that though the funeral will cost a great deal, the net cost to the taxpayer will be negligible, and perhaps generate a profit.

The revenue will be repaid to the exchequer with revenue generated by the funeral.

The boost to the local economies particularly in Edinburgh and London,

Hotels, restaurants, rail and road transport increased use (in tha case of railways they paused their strikes), increased tourist revenue from the many tourists who otherwise would not have travelled and many who extended their stays in the UK.

I am sure there are many other examples which would confirm the net zero cost to the nation.

The wonderful sights of beautiful Scotland, and the majesty of our capital city will generate extra revenue for years to com.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

mouse wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:11 pm Photolady, no i didnt see the platinum jubilee , seem to remember it was a few years back.
You should recheck your memory bank.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

PolemIan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:44 pm and they don’t mention the income that must be generated by tourism due to the existence of the royal family.
Im am not anti Royal but I think that this example isn't very convincing

Most of these countries don't have a royal family

Top 10 Countries Most Popular with Tourists (by number of 2019 visitor arrivals)
France - 90.0 million
Spain - 83.7 million
United States - 79.3 million
China - 65.7 million
Italy - 64.5 million
Turkey - 51.2 million
Mexico - 45.0 million
Thailand - 39.8 million
Germany - 39.6 million
United Kingdom - 39.4 million
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I find it odd that people jump on the bandwagon re cost.

If you think about it, our Armed Forces would be paid anyway, the cars used are already owned, as are the horses, uniforms and regalia, etc. A lot of the police would be paid as usual, for being on duty, but yes, a lot will be paid overtime. The Queen's coffin has been ready for approximately thirty years, even the flowers adorning the coffin were from the Queen's own gardens I understand.

So where exactly is the cost to the taxpayer?