Hunting to begin on Sunday for woodpigeons

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Hunting to begin on Sunday for woodpigeons

Post by Paphos Life »

The hunting season for woodpigeons kicks off on Sunday with hunters expected to set out in their thousands as the game and fauna fund is on its toes. The season for hunting turtle doves starts two weeks later, on September 4 and for a limited time only due to the recent decrease in their population. ...

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Hunting to begin on Sunday for woodpigeons

Post by Dominic »

I have deleted all the comments on this thread, because there were so many quotes that it made sanitising it impossible.

It is never ok to post that you celebrate the death of other human beings for doing nothing illegal. You may not agree with their actions, but posts like that are completely unacceptable.

I am leaving the thread here, because Sunday somebody may well post asking about the gunfire. But seriously, any more talk like that and you will find posting priviliges being revoked.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Bromerz
The only Grouse I've ever seen is on a bottle so must take your word for it. They are amusing as we get families of them dashing up the track infront of our car..
Another one is Kamelians (spelling) crossing the track. Sometimes we're sat for 10 minutes while they cross the track but the big black snakes are across in a flash.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think you were referring to those weird birds that run in front of your car rather than fly away? I was told by a Cypriot friend that they are bred specifically for hunting and released before the season starts. The reason they don''t fly away is because they haven't had time to learn that that is an option.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic
That's them.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

They are Chukar and indeed the Game department breed and release thousands each year for the guns to have something to pop at. A similar practice to the UK where Pheasant and Partridge in particular are bred purely for the gun on estates and those that escape the estate shoots will likely breed the next season and be available for the rough shooters if they have landowner permission and shooting rights.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As bromerzz says "for the rough shooters if they have landowner permission and shooting rights"
So the shooters in the UK are expected to abide by certain rules. There are rules here in Cyprus but many people choose to ignore them. We are in an area where shooting is prohibited, but do the notices make any difference? No not at all, I see the hunters only a few yards from the signs shooting at birds in the trees.
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As bromerzz says "for the rough shooters if they have landowner permission and shooting rights"
So the shooters in the UK are expected to abide by certain rules. There are rules here in Cyprus but many people choose to ignore them. We are in an area where shooting is prohibited, but do the notices make any difference? No not at all, I see the hunters only a few yards from the signs shooting at birds in the trees. But this is Cyprus where we are reminded that we are guests... But we did not make the rules about hunting. They were formed by Cypriots to be adhered to by their fellow countrymen
Trev..
Paul

Post by Paul »

Lovely wood chip pie.
:D