“pay as you throw”

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

“pay as you throw”

Post by memory man »

The issue of refuse is finally at the last mile in the effort of the Republic of Cyprus to meet the targets of the Europen Union, after the approval of the relevant law by the Parliament.

The problem in Cyprus is due to the large quantity of refuse produced by each resident annually compared to the quantity of items recycled.

According to estimates of the Statistical Service, the quantity of refuse produced in Cyprus in 2020 was 543 thousand tons compared to 571 tons in 2019. The average production per person in the European Union in 2020 was 505 kilos when in Cyprus the corresponding number was 609, one of the highests among EU member-states.

With the implementation of the new program, the municipalities aim to achieve the transformation of waste into valuable raw materials, as most waste is recycled. At the same time, the fixed, annual waste collection fee charged to every citizen today will be abolished and there will be a variable payment method. The charge will be relative only on to the amount of mixed waste that is not diverted to recycle streams.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... you-throw/
trevnhil

Re: “pay as you throw”

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks MM for posting this.. I clicked on the link to see more but at the moment it seems that you have included all there is to know..
I wish there was more about this scheme, although I do think I have read something about this scheme before. Maybe it will take a while for each municipality to get the collection points organised.
I live in Polemi and as far as I know, there are no communal collection points apart from the municilal bins for people not on the bin wagon route. I think I read that you will have to BUY bin bags from the municipality..
Glass bottles and jars could have a collection bin
Cardboard could have a collection bin
And there could be one for cans..
All saving rubbish going into landfill.
It will be interesting to see how each different municipality deals with this new law.. Because it does seem that each municipality will have to do something..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

One of the big items we throw away, are the plastic bottles that the milk comes in. We will use 4 or 5 a week. It is also surprising the amount of green waste that goes into the communal council bins shortly after they have been emptied.
I have now taken green waste to the recycling centre.
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:40 pm One of the big items we throw away, are the plastic bottles that the milk comes in. We will use 4 or 5 a week. It is also surprising the amount of green waste that goes into the communal council bins shortly after they have been emptied.
I have now taken green waste to the recycling centre.
Trev, we bought 3 42 litre plastic boxes from Jumbo, one for glass, one for paper and one for metal and plastic. They were €7.99 each. Periodically, we take them to the collection point in Tremithousa (down the road at the side of Ollie’ Bar) when we are on our way out to Paphos, the detour on the outward part of a trip to town is minimal. The glass and paper ones probably need doing once month, the one with cans and plastics, more like every 2 weeks depending on how well, if at all, I squash the milk bottles. There’s a similar point next to the stadium in Peyia if you go that way.

I’ll message you separately on another aspect of this.

Ian
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ollies Bar area is not too far out of the way..
Trev..
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Trevnhil,i understand that " green waste "
should be put in a green bag and put at the side of the bins for collection.Which i do.Its easy and and convenient.But as you say not everyone does :?
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

The new recycling process is now up and running in Polis, very easy just leave the bags which are for cardboard and plastic/tins on the pavement the night before collection. You are supplied with free bags to start with and replacements you can buy in the supermarkets.
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

In Paphos town & previously in Tala we have/had the recycling process now running in Polis. This is not the same as the Pay as You Throw system which is to be introduced in all areas.

The system has been up & running for some time in Aglantzia which is a suburb of Nicosia. I’m assuming it will be the same in all districts.
You can get lots of information here from the FAQ page
https://aglantzia.org.cy/aigli/en/sychn ... d-3-closed

There was also an article in the Cyprus Mail on 7th July
https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/07/07/hous ... throw-law/
Paul

Post by Paul »

There will be a lot of people who throw and not pay.
Fly tipping!