Scottish independence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jimgward

Re: Scottish independence

Post by Jimgward »

We could have an Independent Scotland, with a England/Wales trading protocol, with Scotland Ireland in the EU….. Many companies, such as financial, would choose to have Scottish offices to sit astride both…. Scotland would benefits and….. methinks…

Northumberland, Yorskhire, Cumbria, Merseyside, Manchester etc. would rather join Scotland.

A Blue wall….
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:23 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm
Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:21 pm
Most Scots want to use the SNP as a vehicle for Independence. The SNP would then become one party amongst others.
No they don't. Most Scots voted to remain in the UK.
Wrong. Only in 2014. Most Scot’s voted the SNP at the last national and council elections, on a manifesto of Independence.

So, a few years in politics is a lifetime in some ways
No, you are wrong. In the 2021 elections, they got 47.7% of the vote. Close to 48%, which is quite eerie...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-sc ... s-57028315
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:57 pm
Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:23 pm
Dominic wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm

No they don't. Most Scots voted to remain in the UK.
Wrong. Only in 2014. Most Scot’s voted the SNP at the last national and council elections, on a manifesto of Independence.

So, a few years in politics is a lifetime in some ways
No, you are wrong. In the 2021 elections, they got 47.7% of the vote. Close to 48%, which is quite eerie...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-sc ... s-57028315
And the Greens took them over the 50%, the Greens were also lobbying on an Independence card!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Also, the Scottish voting system was proportional to prevent any party getting an outright majority! The SNP almost achieved it and will at the next elections!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Also, the SNP won 81% of the Westminster seats! No party in the UK who has called for a referendum, or large decision, has ever exceeded 45% of the electorate vote.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Cameron had under 37% of the electoral vote in 2015, yet called a referendum….. Hmmmm
Henann

Post by Henann »

In a recent poll it shows 73% for Independence Westminster know this and are in a panic
Gove would not release the detail and is still fighting in court re releasing the detail.

Please also remember the majority of Scots are not anti English just
anti Westminster. Do you think for a moment if we were a drain on the English purse they would want to keep us? They told India Malta and every country seeking independence the same thing
They couldn’t stand on they’re own. Nonsense. Looking at England it looks like they are to scared to stand alone. No offence to anyone but get wise ITS OVER.

Ps I’m not a raging nationalist this is not 2014 the mood has changed here dramatically.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:53 pm And the Greens took them over the 50%, the Greens were also lobbying on an Independence card!
I would imagine that the primary reason people voted Green was because they cared about Green issues. To them, that would be more important than the independance of Scotland. You cannot assume that all Green voters are pro independence.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Henann wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:23 am In a recent poll it shows 73% for Independence Westminster know this and are in a panic
Gove would not release the detail and is still fighting in court re releasing the detail.

anti Westminster. Do you think for a moment if we were a drain on the English purse they would want to keep us? They told India Malta and every country seeking independence the same thing
They couldn’t stand on they’re own. Nonsense. Looking at England it looks like they are to scared to stand alone. No offence to anyone but get wise ITS OVER.

Ps I’m not a raging nationalist this is not 2014 the mood has changed here dramatically.

This poll tracker suggests otherwise.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... dence-2022

Don't get me wrong. As I said earlier, there is nothing I can do about it either way, so I am just an impartial observer. I haven't got involved in the "Can Scotland go it alone?" debate because I can't be arsed to do any research on it.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

When we start believing polls, we confirm we don’t believe that corruption os social media, main stream media and other sources doesn’t exist.

Almost certainly Trump got in with Russian help in the pools.

Almost certainly Brexit was done with Russian help in the polls

As was Scottish Independence referendum and much more. Why did Johnson bury the investigation?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:36 am
Henann wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:23 am In a recent poll it shows 73% for Independence Westminster know this and are in a panic

This poll tracker suggests otherwise.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... dence-2022

Don't get me wrong. As I said earlier, there is nothing I can do about it either way, so I am just an impartial observer. I haven't got involved in the "Can Scotland go it alone?" debate because I can't be arsed to do any research on it.
Yougov which was founded by Nadhim Zahawi was recently accused of massaging the results in certain surveys to favour Tory positions on policy. Googling Yougov produces many questions on their neutrality.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Oh I know polls can be unreliable. I only mentioned them because Henann brought them up.

But it isn't just YouGov. Take a look at this:

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/sc ... nce-polls/
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Who are "they"? Please don't pretend that the Scots weren't enthusiastic colonisers. There are Scottish place names all over the world and the Scots were just as complicit in the crimes of empire as the English. Henry Dundas was responsible for massacres and over 30% of slaves in Jamaica were owned by Scots. Your countrymen were disproportionately represented in India, which Walter Scott described as "the corn chest for Scotland". Scotland wasn't a victim of colonialism but a perpetrator of it.

I'm sympathetic towards the idea of independence but I regularly see Scottish nationalists try to blame colonialism wholly on the English and it's nonsense.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Well on reading the posts it seems that independence is a foregone conclusion and sunny uplands await.