Scottish independence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: Scottish independence

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:10 pm
Jim B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:35 am
The Aquila wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:52 am

Spot on!
You both tend to forget it was Scottish oil and gas that kept Britain's financial head above water for years and still does to a certain extent.
Surely it was British Oil & Gas….

Well the many years I worked up there it was Mobil Oil, Amoco, Chevron, Shell, BP etc, etc.
The only all British Platform I worked on was BNOC Thistle but that was privatised in the eighties.
So in answer to your question, no, it was privately owned companies.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Our Scottish friends will decide what they believe is best for them but this old adage comes to mind

United we stand Divided we fall
El tel

Post by El tel »

My comment regarding life expectancy in Scotland was meant to be a joke but as most of my one liners they tend to go over the top . Never mind perhaps the next one will hit the mark :lol:

Terry
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Jim B wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:27 pm
Jim B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:35 am

You both tend to forget it was Scottish oil and gas that kept Britain's financial head above water for years and still does to a certain extent.

Well the many years I worked up there it was Mobil Oil, Amoco, Chevron, Shell, BP etc, etc.
The only all British Platform I worked on was BNOC Thistle but that was privatised in the eighties.
So it wasn’t Scottish Oil and Gas either then?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:19 pm
Jim B wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:27 pm

So it wasn’t Scottish Oil and Gas either then?
No because Thatcher sold the licenses off to mostly foriegn operators, the.Scots really had no say in the matter of what happened to their oil and gas.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I don't really understand what you're getting at. The Southern Gas Fields and Morecambe Bay Field which is 16 miles ofshore are on the English Continental Shelf whereas the North Oil Fields are on the Scottish and Shetland Shelf.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It would be a sad day if the United Kingdom was broken up into a series of small states, and I wonder, but doubt if it would work financially and or for defence purposes. Our strength is in being together, both from a military and administrative aspect.. We have enough problems administering the Irish border, with half the country being in the EU with a different currency. It might also put our country back several hundred years to when there was lawlessness and some bloody wars between Scotland and the rest. If you look at the shattered remains of the castles in Northumberland, and again on the Scottish side its easy to imagine how violent the fighting was!!
The Scots bearing banners and bagpipes led by the militant Nicola in 2023! What a picture.
Heh, I'm being facetious, being half Scottish myself.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:02 pm It would be a sad day if the United Kingdom was broken up into a series of small states, and I wonder, but doubt if it would work financially and or for defence purposes. Our strength is in being together, both from a military and administrative aspect.. We have enough problems administering the Irish border, with half the country being in the EU with a different currency. It might also put our country back several hundred years to when there was lawlessness and some bloody wars between Scotland and the rest. If you look at the shattered remains of the castles in Northumberland, and again on the Scottish side its easy to imagine how violent the fighting was!!
The Scots bearing banners and bagpipes led by the militant Nicola in 2023! What a picture.
Heh, I'm being facetious, being half Scottish myself.

Dee
Fill your boots :lol:

Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Why on earth can we not ALL be independent Countries but stick together like 's☆it to a blanket?

That way, nobody feels like the underdog . . . . .or the one being dictated to?

It's simple really. Sorry Devil Boy but I am now 100% for Scottish Independence . . . . . . in fact, in my opinion, everybody (in all 4 Coutries) would be happy without the whinging Scots, Irish, Welsh or English annoying each other. If everyone was free to make their own choices . . . . . . . they would have to live with their own consequences.

I honestly now believe freedom for all of the UK . . . . .and I also believe we would and could make it work.

Maggie B
WHL

Post by WHL »

Maggie B wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:43 pm Why on earth can we not ALL be independent Countries but stick together like 's☆it to a blanket?

That way, nobody feels like the underdog . . . . .or the one being dictated to?

It's simple really. Sorry Devil Boy but I am now 100% for Scottish Independence . . . . . . in fact, in my opinion, everybody (in all 4 Coutries) would be happy without the whinging Scots, Irish, Welsh or English annoying each other. If everyone was free to make their own choices . . . . . . . they would have to live with their own consequences.

I honestly now believe freedom for all of the UK . . . . .and I also believe we would and could make it work.

Maggie B
I like your thinking but I think northern Ireland might put a spanner in the works
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Maggie B wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:43 pm Why on earth can we not ALL be independent Countries but stick together like 's☆it to a blanket?

That way, nobody feels like the underdog . . . .
Maggie B
Sorry, Maggie, but everybody would feel like they WERE the underdog!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have often wondered why we have British athletics teams but English, Scottish, Welsh and NI football and rugby teams.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

explains it all
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

[/quote]
I like your thinking but I think northern Ireland might put a spanner in the works
[/quote]

I agree but, are they not putting a 'spanner in the works' right now? . . . . Not that I blame them for that BTW.

Maggie
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Devil wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:54 am

That way, nobody feels like the underdog . . . .
Maggie B
Sorry, Maggie, but everybody would feel like they WERE the underdog!
Aye well. That may not be a wholly bad thing.

MB
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It’s strange how a common talk, is that Scotland couldn’t afford to go it alone. How would they have afforded Covid etc. etc.

Funny how Ireland, Finland, Denmark, Estonia, Norway and many other countries of around 5m people are doing much better than the combined UK….

The UK BORROWED every penny for Covid. Scotland could have borrowed what it needed. I doubt we would have had a VIP route for suppliers of PPE or would have given Serco £37bn for a failed test and trace. The UK waster well over £100bn on Covid suppliers that were corrupt., I wonder how many have contributed to the Tory party.

Scotland is fed up being tied to a Banana Republic under people like Boris Johnson. The next in line will just be another liar and fraud.

The Union has been in place for over 300 years. Scotland has averaged about 10% of the UK, so how would the English regard parliament being run from Edinburgh for the next 30 years? What if they had a government they never voted for, for over 50 years. Dragged out the EU. Lied to constantly, Thatcher about the extent of North Sea reserves through to the manipulation of this present Tory debacle.

In 2014, they were promised that a vote for Independence would take Scotland out of the EU and only by voting No, could Scotland remain in the EU. Lies.

The EU has promised a Norway-type status to Scotland immediately, moving towards independence.

I go back to how small countries can perform on the world stage and 1st world small countries generally have the highest, highest public services etc.

I will post later, a great video of one of the world's top-ten economists, who happens to be Scottish, talking about the road to independence and how Scotland would do.

Remember, Westminster doesn't want Scottish Independence as;

A) the land mass halves almost
B) the for regard for England on the work stage drops - no longer G7 etc.
c) nowhere for Nuclear weapons
D) lack of access to resources Scotland would hold - wind, wave, water, oil, gas etc.

Most Scots want to use the SNP as a vehicle for Independence. The SNP would then become one party amongst others.

The English overwhelmingly hate Nicola Sturgeon despite her being the most credible party (oops) leader in the UK.
Henann

Post by Henann »

Well said Jimgward. And another thing it is the will of the Scottish people.
Attachments
3DFFC308-4A3B-44A5-8760-A9D1686EA96E.jpeg
3DFFC308-4A3B-44A5-8760-A9D1686EA96E.jpeg (235.21 KiB) Viewed 9313 times
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Henann wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:49 pm Well said Jimgward. And another thing it is the will of the Scottish people.
I prefer the map which shows the Scottish border running from the Dee to the Humber. I watched a really interesting documentary by Rory Stuart MP which suggested that was the original border but the Romans decided to split the countries along Hadrians Wall
I'm sure it will be available on YouTube.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:21 pm
Most Scots want to use the SNP as a vehicle for Independence. The SNP would then become one party amongst others.
No they don't. Most Scots voted to remain in the UK.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm
Jimgward wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:21 pm
No they don't. Most Scots voted to remain in the UK.
Wrong. Only in 2014. Most Scot’s voted the SNP at the last national and council elections, on a manifesto of Independence.

So, a few years in politics is a lifetime in some ways