Cost of new A/C units

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Cost of new A/C units

Post by Mark »

I got a quote for an LG 24000 BTU unit in February for €950 fitted.

The same unit today is € 1240 fitted, why did I wait, aaaaaargh.

I was also told to expect a longer wait for fitting as the new units are not in the country yet.

Another example of shipping cost inflation and higher manufacturing costs.

I was also advised to book now as the costs will only go one way for the foreseeable future.
Anarita John

Re: Cost of new A/C units

Post by Anarita John »

Mark, have a word with Greenair. We had our LG units fitted by them. They work really well. The main filter is at the top and really does catch the dust, therefore needs frequent cleaning. Really easy to remove, and we vac ours and then wash and dry before fitting. The fins are easily cleaned with a damp toothbrush.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks John
This was a quote from Greenair, who also fitted my panels
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

I had some new three gree ones fitted the 24000 btu one was £950
This was only 3 weeks ago
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

[quote=nholleran post_id=154440 time=1655022984 user_id=85]
Bit off the thread but me and the misses arguing whats the best temperature for the aircons in summer Cyprusmax might have the answer but any thoughts.

Cheers Neil.

The ideal indoor temperature is that at which most people feel comfortable – which is usually around 23 c. Doctors and advisors usually recommend a maximum temperature difference between the outside and inside temperature of 7c. In midsummer However, this is of course not always possible and also not sensible: the performance of the human body decreases significantly from 28c, It is therefore quite possible that in midsummer the temperature difference between outside and inside is set a bit more than 7c.
The right temperature for each room depends on how it is used: For example, a temperature of up to 23c is recommended in the home office and in the living room, since you usually only do sedentary activities in these rooms, such as working or watching TV. In bedrooms I would set it to ca 20c.
Not only the temperature is decisive for the well-being, but also the humidity, which will however be reduced when the air-con is running...

Max
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

nholleran wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:36 am Bit off the thread but me and the misses arguing whats the best temperature for the aircons in summer Cyprusmax might have the answer but any thoughts.

Cheers Neil.
In my experience many people run their AC way too low and then wonder why they have huge electricity bills and the outdoor units freeze up. For example my wife works all day in one of our bedrooms that’s used as an office and it gets a lot of sun in the afternoons during the summer. We set it at 25 degrees and engage eco mode and it was extremely comfortable all summer. Eco mode, if your units have it, is another misunderstood setting, but it makes a huge difference to running costs. We calculated it cost about €20 to cool that room all last summer. (Caveat; we have net metering and an energy efficient house), but the difference is still significant. We’ve just replaced an old non inverter unit with a new one in one of our other properties so it should be interesting to see how our tenant gets on this summer.

Ian
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

It's also worth mentioning that the if you set it to 25c that is the temp at the unit, this is probably high on the wall and heat rises so the bed or sofa will be 2 or 3 degree lower.

Another point, a lot of people set the temp low at say 17c to cool the room down but this does not speed things up, if you set it to cool, no matter what temp you set it to, it blows at 16c until the temp is met then it re-circulates, turning off and on when required to keep the set temperature.

I also set my unit to 25c

We used to have a flat that we rented for holidays and we frequently found the tenants had slept all night with the aircon on 17c, a thick winter duvet on the bed and the windows open, the electric bill for a one bedroom flat was in the words of the lady at the electric board "what you would expect for a 3 or 4 bedroom villa with a pool.

G
jeba

Post by jeba »

As the thread has already been taken off topic I might as well ask how the dehumidifying function of aircons is working. There seems to be something I don´t understand. I have hygrometers in every room and all the aircons will only reduce humidity by maybe 2 or 3 % even though they keep running. In cooling mode however, they work as expected. Can anyone think of a reason why dehumidifying doesn´t work properly?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

jeba wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:46 am As the thread has already been taken off topic I might as well ask how the dehumidifying function of aircons is working. There seems to be something I don´t understand. I have hygrometers in every room and all the aircons will only reduce humidity by maybe 2 or 3 % even though they keep running. In cooling mode however, they work as expected. Can anyone think of a reason why dehumidifying doesn´t work properly?
The only thing which comes to my mind is that perhaps there is a blockage in the air-con pipe system, either in the indoor unit or outside where the condensed water appears...

Max
jeba

Post by jeba »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:58 am
jeba wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:46 am As the thread has already been taken off topic I might as well ask how the dehumidifying function of aircons is working. There seems to be something I don´t understand. I have hygrometers in every room and all the aircons will only reduce humidity by maybe 2 or 3 % even though they keep running. In cooling mode however, they work as expected. Can anyone think of a reason why dehumidifying doesn´t work properly?
The only thing which comes to my mind is that perhaps there is a blockage in the air-con pipe system, either in the indoor unit or outside where the condensed water appears...

Max
That can´t be the reason as all 4 aircons are affected equally and they all are working fine in cooling mode. It´s a mystery.