Removing cement/building substances

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sunspot

Removing cement/building substances

Post by sunspot »

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner for external areas? Our builders splattered everything with cement, adhesive, render and other substances that are difficult to remove. Pressure-washing helps but does not work on everything.

The affected surfaces include stone walls, crazy paving, tiles, roof tiles, granite window sills, rendered walls, etc. We need to consult an experienced cleaner who can tell us what, if anything, can be done, and which areas are damaged beyond repair.

Any recommendations much appreciated. Thank you.
The Aquila

Re: Removing cement/building substances

Post by The Aquila »

I’d be tempted to tell the builder to clean it up
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Me too. But I would have asked him to do that before paying him.
Then he has more incentive to do it.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

If a power jet hasn't shifted them, the ive got a feeling nothing else will, you can try, white spirit or petrol for adhesive, or a wire brush for the cement, but as others have said get the builder back to clean it.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

The job is not finished until they have cleaned up - don't pay!!
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Thank you for responses.

We have not yet given the main contractor their final payment. But they know the problem and have not tried to fix it. That's why we are looking for an experienced cleaning company to try. We would deduct their fee from our final payment to the main contractor. If we have any success clearing this stuff, I will update this thread with the solution.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Can only say that personally, I would put pressure on the main contractor to arrange the clean up themselves. If its a large well known developer/ builder they will have or know of people who can do post - building clean ups.

Dee
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Kili01 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:08 pm Can only say that personally, I would put pressure on the main contractor to arrange the clean up themselves. If its a large well known developer/ builder they will have or know of people who can do post - building clean ups.

Dee
They do not care. I keep being told ‘this contractor is no worse than anyone else here’. Hard to believe.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

mouse wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:14 pm When I was working it seemed much easier to not make a mess, whilst the job did take longer there was little to no clean-up at the end , when I did spill or splash something it was much easier to clean whilst wet before it had time to dry or set or stain.
Quite. I warned them endlessly during the works, to no avail.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sunspot, Good contractors here in Cyprus, as in UK, tend to avoid making a mess. Or they clean up afterwards.Assuming that you have kept back a reasonable sum before final settlement of the bill, if you tell them they will not be paid until they clean up their mess, they make take more interest.
But its up to you and how you handle it, to be very firm with them...

Dee
jameskevin

Post by jameskevin »

Any update?
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Thank you for asking. We must wait until final bills are submitted by the contractor and the architect approves our deductions, including for cleaning up the mess left by the contractor. We have found jet-washing companies that are willing to try, when we are ready. They will also apply acid in small areas to see if it works and does not damage the substrate.

I have done 3 building projects in the UK. All had their problems. But I have never seen such poor quality workmanship, on-site chaos and bad behaviour as I have seen in Cyprus. Regarding the mess left by the contractor, cleaning companies have told us they see this all the time after building works here. Many homeowners just give up and live with it. Depends how much you care about these things. For myself, wild horses and millions of euros could not convince me to undertake another project here again.