appointment driving licence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
gerryg

appointment driving licence

Post by gerryg »

Turned up at the road transport dept to renew my driving licence. No joy. You need to make an appointment first. This also applies to renewal at the post office.

The number to ring for a appointment is 26851351. Rang got a recorded message in greek which I didnt understand. I have asked a friend to help . This is as far as I have got.

Gerryg
memory man

Re: appointment driving licence

Post by memory man »

You can arrange an appointment by calling 8000 2000, and its in English.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

You can arrange an appointment at the Anavargos Post Office on http://kepo.cypruspost.post/vz/
Your appointment will be confirmed by text message on your mobile.
Louise :)
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Thanks to all who replied.
Rang 8000 2000 and got through straight away. The earliest appointment at the post office (near the general hospital) is 23 may. My licence expires on 14 may so it looks like i wont be able to drive for a week or so.

I am not new to this . Been here for over 20 years. Renewed a few times without any problems. Just walked in. Had no idea that a appointment system had been introduced. Luckily not driving for a week wont cause me too much of a problem

Gerryg
memory man

Post by memory man »

When you hand in your old licence ( at your appointment )
you will receive a temporary driving licence which lasts about 1 month.

I was told my new licence would come through in about 4 weeks, but
I received an SMS after 3 weeks to collect my new licence.

HELPFUL INFO
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And despite there being an appointment system, I went without one to the Polis office and All was processed there with no problem.
It is a comparatively quiet office though. Worth a trip out there with all your paperwork I would have thought. Even if they say no, it is a nice trip out and you could have a coffee at the Latchi Harbour..
Trev..
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Most of my friends did not know about the appointment system. And I dont know how long it has been in place. Not that it now matters.

I had it in mind to ask the the dept of transport if they will renew without appointment. Nothing to lose.

About 10 years ago Trev I used the polis office and they were very good. So I will bear in mind what you did if I have no other luck.

Gerryg
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It was last August when I went there and they may be busier now
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

GerryG,
You'll be lucky.. personally, I've never found the Dept of Transport ( Polis Rd) very helpful!
I used the Citizens Advice Office on the (former)Butcher Boy Rd), much more helpful. Though like you, I didn't know about the appointments system which they have adopted when I tried to renew my driving license last August. Then I had to wait 14 days from an appointment. Though the lady I spoke to gave me a temporary driving license, on request, which tided me over the period which I was waiting for the new license to be issued. So I carried on driving as use of a car was essential for me.
Dee
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

I think most of us who have renewed a driving licence know that we get a temporary one until the new one is issued.

If people followed the thread instead of just reading the opening post they would see that on May 6th gerryg said that he cannot get an appointment until the 23rd May BUT his licence EXPIRES on the 14th May.
Polly

Post by Polly »

So will someone please confirm that if your licence expires before the appointment date it will be renewed but you must not drive following the expiry date and before the temporary licence is issued? I have read before that people have had to wait for an appointment after the expiry date but don't quite understand - if your licence has expired it has expired surely!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

If your licence has expired and you have NOT got a paper slip / temporary licence, then you need to stop driving..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

When I went for my renewal last June, it was shortly before my license expired. Initially the woman behind the desk told me I would be OK if I drove without a license pending the issue of a new one. I remonstrated politely with her.I said, supposed I was stopped by police? She said effectively, keep away from the police! I said my insurance would be invalidated in that event.
She relented, and I left with a temporary one. She kept my license, I went back for my appointment subsequently, filled out the forms etc. My new license arrived 3 weeks later..to my relief.

Dee
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

It was the case and I assume it still is that when your licence is due for renewal you attend the post office or cits advice or dept of transport. They issue you with a temporary licence and message you when the proper licence is ready. The problem now is that you cannot get a temporary licence until the date of your appointment. In my case 9 days after expiry. I will not drive during this period . Its no great hardship for such a short period.

Gerryg
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thanks for your replies.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Thanks everyone for your replies as well.
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Do they take your photo or do you need to take two with you ?
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Tremigirl wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:48 pm Do they take your photo or do you need to take two with you ?
They take your photo.
Louise :)
memory man

Post by memory man »

My licence was a renewal and NO photo was taken.

I presume they transfer the pic on the "handed in" licence
to the new one.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

memory man wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:52 pm My licence was a renewal and NO photo was taken.

I presume they transfer the pic on the "handed in" licence
to the new one.
Depends if there has been much change since the previous photo was taken.