Wooden front door

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
jonjo

Wooden front door

Post by jonjo »

Hi

I am looking for a quote for a new wooden front door and wondered if anyone has a recommendation. Many thanks.
trevnhil

Re: Wooden front door

Post by trevnhil »

In this climate and heat, I would think again and have a wood grain UPVC.. No painting or staining year after year
Trev..
Paul

Post by Paul »

Trev is right I have wood doors on the out house and the expand with damp and shrink in dry conditions.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I would opt for one with glass, letting more light in and depending on which way it's facing heat from the winter sun
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
daveg

Post by daveg »

Have had UPVC, white ,with small window for 14years...it faces the sun most of the year.
It hasn't warped ,split or moved and no maintenance...
WHL

Post by WHL »

Back to the OPs question, years ago the carpenter who made our kitchen units, made us some beautiful double front doors,
don't know about Paphos but here in Larnaca there are some old school carpenters, in the old town, who are capable of making anything in wood.
ast

Post by ast »

We have had a Solid wooden door for 18 plus years, it is treated every year was originally hung by as WHL says an old school carpenter and looks and fits as good as the day it was hung. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Same here, but for 28 years.
Louise :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The wooden door at my German friends house at Marathounta is more than 20 years old and still looked perfect this year even without treatment, as my friend comes only a couple of times for holidays per year he is not starting maintenance then.
Trevnhil knows it better anyhow.... :roll:

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

:shock: Re "Trevnhil knows it better anyhow.... :roll:"
Where do you get that from Max... Can you show me where I said that..
What I actually said if you had quoted me is... "I would think again and have a wood grain UPVC "
I gave my opinion, as you do many times on other subjects.. :shock:
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Wood is expensive in Cyprus. For an outside door you will need a HARD wood. There is a door manufacturer up near the transport office in the industrial area.
All things are possible
glowred

Post by glowred »

It is the sun that ruins wooden doors, if your door is in the shade or recessed somehow the wood and finish will last, if not it means treating it every year.

Neil
kansas

Post by kansas »

We're replacing our wooden front door after 17 years with one that is a combination of UPVC and aluminium. It's been treated every year but the bottom half, that is in direct sun each morning, has suffered badly while the top half is fine.
WHL

Post by WHL »

kansas wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:36 am We're replacing our wooden front door after 17 years with one that is a combination of UPVC and aluminium. It's been treated every year but the bottom half, that is in direct sun each morning, has suffered badly while the top half is fine.
Turn it up side down and get another 17 years out of it? :D
kansas

Post by kansas »

Ha ha, very droll WHL
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

We had a hard wood door made using Irocco, a similar wood to Teak. It was protected from rain and partially from direct sun light by a veranda. We used to keep it clean, and every 2-3 years the outside of the door was pained with a wood preserver and lacquer. It was still in near perfect condition when I had to sell the house 19 years later...

We also had an outside garage door, in pine, that needed to be repainted more often. After 19 years it was getting to the stage when it needed replacing.

Dee