First time this year: sounds of bee eater but more important..

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

First time this year: sounds of bee eater but more important..

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Today, I could hear the sounds of bee eater in my area, first time this spring, however more important for me was the sound of another bird:

For more than 1/2 hour there were the lovely songs of an nightingale this morning, just 10 m from my house obviously coming from that dense fruit tree. I was hearing the warning sounds of nightingales all winter but today it was the first time with the full scale of their songs and that so close to the house. I am ever so pleased. Now in the afternoon I can hear it again, but a bit further away, so I hope perhaps they are nesting in my area and I will be able to photograph them in future.

Max
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: First time this year: sounds of bee eater but more important..

Post by Devil »

Believe it or not, but we have just had the opportunity of a first-ever sighting, for us, of a bird in Cyprus, without any identification difficulty. It was walking around some vegetation in our back garden. It was a fully mature peacock. I have no idea where it came from or where it went but I presume that it was somebody's pet escapee. It obviously must have had its wings unclipped, because it was able to fly. I haven't seen it today but I heard it shortly after dawn. Our helper managed to get a poor photo of it, not worth publishing here unless somebody asks.
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Funnily enough we did a walk round Polemi today and though we heard a Bee Eater but though it was too early for them but perhaps it was one.
Love the Bee Eaters such beautiful colours.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There are peacocks behind the petrol station near Polemi.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

There have been unusually high numbers of the less common Blue-cheeked Bee-eater migrating thro since the first week of April. The more widely known European Bee-eater has been showing in the last week, and it has been a good spring for Common Nightingales with one bird singing its head off during the day down at Secret Valley golf course.