Photovoltaics, is this comment true

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Photovoltaics, is this comment true

Post by Mark »

We’re now embroiled in trying to install a net metering photovoltaic system and finding it difficult to understand why the government has introduced a regulation whereby new systems can now only support 90% of the previous year’s usage. Electricity usage over the last two years for those of us who do not reside permanently in Cyprus has been seriously reduced because of the restrictions that the Covid pandemic imposed on travel to and from Cyprus. I would have thought that the government should be encouraging home owners to invest in renewable energy.
jeba

Re: Photovoltaics, is this comment true

Post by jeba »

What if there is no point of reference because it´s a new build?
This regulation doesn´t make sense at all. Shouldn´t the EAC be more than happy if people (such as myself) have credits waived every year because their system produces more than they need?
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have been looking in to a PV system, I took my electric bill in to a solar energy shop and the needed 3 years of bills.
They took the meter number and checked with EAC how much electric I had used.
I was planning a 3kwh system but as I use a low amount of electric I was told that they could only fit a 2kwh system.
In there words "it's not worth it!"
So it looks like that plan has gone out the window.
Paul
Mark

Post by Mark »

I intended to increase my electric use, the whole idea surely is to make economies.

The number of times for example, we wanted to put the A/c on but held back due to the cost, if true, this is appalling.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Mark wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:09 am the whole idea surely is to make economies.
I don't see how it would make economic sense to not have you produce above your consumption. After all, this means free electricity for them, given that you won't get paid.
Mark

Post by Mark »

jeba wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:29 am
Mark wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:09 am the whole idea surely is to make economies.
I don't see how it would make economic sense to not have you produce above your consumption. After all, this means free electricity for them, given that you won't get paid.
Because I will use more electricity for Zero cost.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is strange that Max has not commented on this post.. If he does have comments about it, I would be particularly interested to see if he knows anything about the last Paragraph. ie...

"I have also been told by the same Cypriot friend that the cancellation of accrued units in Feb is to be stopped and you can now carry forward into the following year."
Trev..
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Neighbours have recently installed a 10kw system and have just been connected to the grid. Another neighbour had a 5kwh system installed in December and was connected to the grid at the end of January. Both systems installed with GreenAir. Neither would have been able to install such systems using the criteria described. The people who installed the 5kw system probably would have only been allowed a 2kw system as they were very frugal with their electricity use. And what about people converting from oil or gas to electric central heating. I would think to run a big heatpump you would need at least a 5kw system.
My advice would be to go and speak at Andreas or Christos (the owner) at Greenair or send them an email.
info@greenair-cy.com
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:09 am It is strange that Max has not commented on this post.. If he does have comments about it, I would be particularly interested to see if he knows anything about the last Paragraph. ie...

"I have also been told by the same Cypriot friend that the cancellation of accrued units in Feb is to be stopped and you can now carry forward into the following year."
I was told this by a friend, as well
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:09 am It is strange that Max has not commented on this post.. If he does have comments about it, I would be particularly interested to see if he knows anything about the last Paragraph. ie...

I imagine Max was out enjoying a Fish lunch, given that this is Saturday.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Totally agree Wensbry. We had a 5kwh system fitted, plus later an ultra violet pool steriliser which, to be fully effective and to cut down significantly on chemical use, needed to be running for longer periods. One pool technician even suggested 12 hours a day. That would have eaten into our solar reserve, so we had a Lorenz, solar pump intalled. Our pool pump now runs efficiently and at high speed for daylight hours, powered by just 3 REC solar panels.

Therefore, if EAC did limit the size of your solar system to 80% or 90% of your needs, you could have a Lorenz solar pool pump fitted which would compensate for the 10 or 20%.

Hopefully, they will see that their limiting makes no sense and will keep the present system, where we pay around 5 cents a kwh including vat and addons, for every kwh we use through our meter.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

So if this 90% rule came to pass, and you were looking to install PV so that you could, for example, increase AC usage for heating and / or cooling, you’d have to install, or start using it, run it for a year and take a hit on the bills, then apply so you’re 90% higher?

Not a terribly environmentally friendly approach, given the 800kw excess we had this year is another 800kw EAC doesn’t have to burn oil to produce. Add that up around the island and that’s a lot of oil saved and infrastructure that somebody else I.e,the consumer is paying for rather than EAC.

Presumably the criteria would have to be different for the green field sites being converted to PV where previous consumption would be zero.

Odd.

Mind you, like the idea of keeping the accrued units.

Ian
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Our electric meter was read on 14th March. We only lost 100kwh from our banked units this year, as we used the pool heater liberally for the last two weeks before our meter was read. It would be more environment friendly if we could keep our accrued units, as we would not have continually heated our pool to around 30c, which was very nice to swim in, even on the coldest of days, but would have kept the pool at a more conservative 25c.
Mark

Post by Mark »

From what I have read in this thread, it would appear that the 90% rule is out for discussion and not necessarily been implemented????
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Mark wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:59 pm
Mark wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:56 pm From what I have read in this thread, it would appear that the 90% rule is out for discussion and not necessarily been implemented????
For anyone whose installation is currently in the system.
I would have thought it was NOT for those already in the system. But for new systems.
Trev..
Mark

Post by Mark »

I hope your correct Trev, I have a 4kw system, €5,000 paid to date, installed at the end of Feb, I will not name the company.

My current requirements were for 3kw, but want to use AC etc for heating (my current heating costs well over €100 per month) hence the 4kw installation, no word from EAC yet so am concerned.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I try always in my posts to comment only if I am 100% sure it is correct and reality. In this case I was waiting until I can contact Andreas at Green Air and ask, however yesterday was holiday and today the office is closed. By the way, Dominic was guessing that I was out today having a great time at my fish tavern at Timi beach and he was right.... :)

Information I will receive from Green Air I will post here, but whatever the outcome is, I am planning to write an article about net-metering in Cyprus now and in the near future as Gas and Diesel costs will go only in one direction and this is steep up....
I am sure the EU will push Cyprus and other member states even more that people install PV wherever it is possible after this disaster at Ukraine.

Germany for example will not issue building permits for new houses with Gas/Diesel heating in less than 2 years time, only electric heating systems p.e. heat pumps etc and not to rely on coal/gas/diesel imports like nowadays. Compulsory for every new building will be a PV systems as well....

Max
darrow

Post by darrow »

Termites Dream wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:59 am I heard of this last weekend and sent a PM to MAX on Monday asking if he had any info. Max is looking into it but has not yet replied as to its validity. I understand there is a lot of push back over the 90% rule and understand it is to enable the EAC to get some money from customers.

I have also been told by the same Cypriot friend that the cancellation of accrued units in Feb is to be stopped and you can now carry forward into the following year.
If this is true, not before time! Taking credit form your bill just when you need the heating most was unfair! They could have done it in the summer months. Better still pay you fror the credits!
jeba

Post by jeba »

darrow wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:20 pm If this is true, not before time! Taking credit form your bill just when you need the heating most was unfair! They could have done it in the summer months. Better still pay you fror the credits!
Be careful what you wish for. I'm quite happy with the current system which allows you to use the public grid as your battery. If they started paying you for what you feed into the public grid instead, it would probably be a pittance (in Germany for instance you get around 6 cents/kWh and you'll be taxed on it while having to pay more than 30 cents/kWh for what you import from the grid). A battery would cost about € 1500-2000/ kWh capacity and it won't last forever.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Totally agree Jeba. I am quite happy with the present system. Last March, after our accrued kwh were taken off our account on March 12th, we were soon back in credit. By the end of March we had 90kwh banked. This year, with the weather much colder, especially the nights, we are down, -170kwh, as we have been using the pool heater to get our pool to a swimmable temperature. However, by the end of our billing period, we will still be in credit and in plus territory again.
Much better for us to use the grid as our battery and pay a small net metering charge for what we draw off the grid.