Immigration / Residence - help or advice

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Poster12

Immigration / Residence - help or advice

Post by Poster12 »

We would like to apply for long term residence in Cyprus over the next few weeks and so we are just wondering about the correct procedure. Myself and wife are from the UK and our small child is an Irish citizen. I understand that my child has freedom of movement as a EU citizen and we can also live with our child in any EU country so long as we all have sufficient resources and health/sickness insurance which we all have.

I have looked at the Migration Department website but we are not really sure where to begin. I have tried to make a reservation today on their website but it seems to be fully booked and there are no available appointment times for the next two months! This would take us past our visa date and so we will need to try to do something to apply now and start the application process a lot sooner than this. So should we try to phone the Paphos office or email them and make an appointment, or should we all just go in to the Paphos office one day and try to talk with someone?

And then what forms or certificate should we all be trying to get at the end of the process? I have been reading about various forms and documents like MEU 1/2/3, and ARCs or Alien Registration Certificates, and yellow slips, but I am not very sure what forms we should be filling in, or what certificates we should be getting at the end of the process. Is it an ARC that we will all need to get?

Any help or advice would be useful thanks.
Poster12

Re: Immigration / Residence - help or advice

Post by Poster12 »

Thanks Wensbry,

That is quite a shock to hear that we will have to wait at least 3 months for an appointment with Immigration. Will there not be any problem if we go over our visa date? Is the system here for appointments always so slow?

And is there nothing that we can do by phone/email to them to get help or advice? Will the Immigration office not help or advise us in any way during the next 3 months, or even tell us what forms to complete or what documents to provide?

So do you know on what basis the Pink Slip is given? or what form we should complete for it?

My understanding up until now has been that my child is a EU citizen, and as his parents we have a right to live here with our child as long as we all have sufficient resources and health/sickness insurance.

As regards contact with a solicitor or immigration agent, does anyone know any good ones in Paphos who may be able to advise us? I would expect that they will just confirm to us that our child is a EU citizen, and that we also have rights as his parents to live here.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Wouldn't you have to be a dependent of your child in order to get the right to stay here? And wouldn't your child have to be legally resident here first (with an MEU1) before you could apply to join him?

Dealing with the immigration department can be frustrating and time-consuming even for simple applications. Definitely talk to an adviser first. You could save a lot of time and money. Try the directory on this website. The red tape or legal sections are the best bet.
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

I have been on the Immigration booking website to try to book an appointment, and the website says that there are no available appointment times in the Paphos Immigration office for the next 12 months!

Does anyone here have any clue what the system is here and what we should do now? Our visas will expire in about six weeks. What is the problem with the system here? Can they not hire more staff if they are so overloaded? Can they not allow people to submit documents by email or post?

Any help or advice from anyone on what we should do next? Thanks.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Can you provide a link to what you are looking at Wensbry. Out of curiosity, I had a look and couldn't see any available dates.

This was the form I was using:

https://crmd.simplybook.pro/v2/#book/lo ... 022-08-12/

Are you using a different form? If you are then that might be the confusion.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
souniman

Post by souniman »

I thinks it would be worthwhile to contact the Cizens service ceter and explain the problem to them.
You need to phone to make an appointment.
https://2gis.com.cy/cyprus/search/Citizen service center paphos
jeba

Post by jeba »

When I needed my MEU3 certificate urgently (or so I thought) I went to the immigration department 1 hour before they opened so that I was first in line. I didn't have an appointment, but had all the documents needed with me and managed to talk the nice lady into accepting my application. 10 min later I was out again. That was in Larnaca though and obviously, there is no guarantee that it would work again or elsewhere.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Totally agree with HIC give Gwenny a call,she has been doing these things for years and has so many contacts in the various departments ,ok you will pay for her services but well worth it!
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

Thanks for the replies so far.

It looks then like we will have to seek the help of a solicitor as the booking process for ordinary people online seems to be impossible. Maybe you need to have local knowledge to get an appointment.

Wensbry. I am not sure how you are able to find the appointment times for June. I have tried again today several times on a phone and a tablet and the website says there are no available appointment times at the Paphos office for the next 12 months.

Happy in Cyprus. I have found a website but not sure if it is the same one as you are talking about. Is the person you know a solicitor? Our situation is about EU rights and so we would probably need to talk to someone who knows all about this.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I haven't been able to book anything either. It just says "No dates available" no matter what I look at.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

Wensbry.

So do you think the online booking maybe only works at a certain time of the day? That would be quite odd. I have already tried at all times in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Dominic is also saying that there are no available times. Are you using just an ordinary phone or computer? Are you clicking on each individual appointment day or week by week?