The COLD weather and it's effect

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

The COLD weather and it's effect

Post by Lincoln »

Well last week the electric blanket was stored away along with the bedroom heater. Last night was bloody freezing!! I woke up with chest pain and had to go to see the doc. Caused by cold and now on Antibiotics. Not at all a happy chappy. So Electric blanket back on the bed, the bedroom heater also out. Stay cosy warm folks at our time in life a severe cold can be very debillitating and lead to other complications.
All things are possible
WHL

Re: The COLD weather and it's effect

Post by WHL »

Give your chest and back a rub with zivania, sort you out in no time.
kansas

Post by kansas »

........or Vicks Vapour Rub!
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Unfortunately most Cypriot properties aren’t designed for the Winter weather of this year, which appears to be rather extreme
a log burner this years has been a good investment
Spring is around the corner no doubt we are now looking forward to an exceptionally hot summer
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:23 pm Well last week the electric blanket was stored away along with the bedroom heater. Last night was bloody freezing!! I woke up with chest pain and had to go to see the doc. Caused by cold and now on Antibiotics. Not at all a happy chappy. So Electric blanket back on the bed, the bedroom heater also out. Stay cosy warm folks at our time in life a severe cold can be very debillitating and lead to other complications.
Blimey Lincoln,where you not a little optimistic putting into hibernation that most fantastic invention ever produced so early in the year. :Ours are still firmly in position and spurred into action 30 minutes before we oldies retire.
Mmmmm,my grandma god bless her use to say " never cast a clout till Aprils out " :)
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I well remember tht old saying as " nay cast a clout until MAY is out" Anyway the blanket was on before bedtime and the bed was lovely and warm. Left on the very low setting all night. Also the heater on a low setting all night. Slept like a log.
All things are possible
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

I suppose its still not as cold as the UK..I remember one bitter cold day i said to the wife,,the lakes frozen over again i,m going out skating on it.She said darling its so cold why dont you wait till it gets a little warmer.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Most Cyprus built housing just isn't insulated at all with thin walls and concrete roofs. I had a record high electricity bill last month while in Chloraka, while trying to keep as warm as possible..
I'm currently in my small flat in Cheltenham where last week end's weather felt very cold with an icy N wind. But I do find that with thicker outside walls here and new very efficient double glazed windows recently installed, it is much easier to keep the rooms comfortably warm.
I hope that the weather in Paphos will soon get warmer, surely winter should be over soon and certainly by the end of March!
Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Fortunately we had an Air Heat Pump fitted last week and had it running all night which kept the house warm. It dropped to minus 1 where we live but the house was comfortable with the house about 22°C. in the lounge and 25°C in the kitchen.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jim B wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:31 am Fortunately we had an Air Heat Pump fitted last week and had it running all night which kept the house warm. It dropped to minus 1 where we live but the house was comfortable with the house about 22°C. in the lounge and 25°C in the kitchen.
Well, Air Heat Pumps are the way in Cyprus to use the relative high winter outdoor temperatures to heat specially with underfloor heating your house much more efficiently and environment friendlier than gas/diesel heating systems. Minus 1 c is very very rare in our area and only higher up in the hills it is that cold. I live 100 m higher than you and it was 2.8 c the coldest of this year, last night.!
Even with this low night temperature the COP of your new heat pump will be app 3.5 which means still very efficient. Normally we have ca 8-10 c at winter nights which gives you an COP of more than 5!!

Green Air is very very busy in installing Air-to-water heatpumps right now. I guess you got it installed from them...

Max
lotus

Post by lotus »

Lovely day here in Evesham,seems better weather here in UK than it does in Cyprus,at the moment!!,even the night tempatures aren't too bad,course it helps when you have central heating,proper double glazing etc,still wish was back home in Choulou though
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

lotus wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:34 pm Lovely day here in Evesham,seems better weather here in UK than it does in Cyprus,at the moment!!,even the night tempatures aren't too bad,course it helps when you have central heating,proper double glazing etc,still wish was back home in Choulou though
They just escaped the snow. Well they did when we drove past yesterday.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

lotus wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:34 pm Lovely day here in Evesham,seems better weather here in UK than it does in Cyprus,at the moment!!,even the night tempatures aren't too bad,course it helps when you have central heating,proper double glazing etc,still wish was back home in Choulou though
Yes,but isnt the big deal that our abodes in the UK have ......carpets.Now where are my slippers when we have to to go to the toilet in the middle of the night :(
lotus

Post by lotus »

Yeah sorry forgot to say carpets!!,so lovely and warm to walk on even barefoot to the bathroom in middle of the night😊,so lovely not to wrap up like an Eskimo at night in our old village stone house in Choulou