Crockerall...Amazing.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Crockerall...Amazing.

Post by Chaddy »

Our near nieghbours,lovely people have installed a hen coup with about half a dozen hens.Of course accompanied by a cockerall.We all know what cockeralls do early in a mornings.This cockerall i,m sure can tell the time or maybe wears a Rolex as it crows at 4.15 every morning,not 4.10.not 4.20. but dead on 4.15.Its timing is impeccable.Even more amazing i,m sure it can count as it crows 13 times,not 11 not 12 dead on 13.
It has been suggested to us to go and see the Muchtar about this unwanted early morning call,but this family have lived in the village for a zillion years and we are just the new kids on the block so to speak and in a dispute would not stand a chance.In any case we have got along well with them and do not want to fall out.
We have started to wear ear plugs,and they work,but have read that the wearing of ear plugs over a period is not good for your hearing.
Of course there is always our afternoon nap when,god bless the little blighter,stays silent.
Anarita John

Re: Crockerall...Amazing.

Post by Anarita John »

Unlike the cockerall that lives near us that does not know the time and can crow at any time of the day or night. We also have the church bells, early on Sunday morning, numerous dogs barking and the early morning bugle from the army camp. But, it is all part of village life and we wouldn't swap it for the world. Much better than the constant police sirens that we used to hear in Rochdale.
Believe it or not, our friends, who live in city centre Manchester, find it hard to sleep when thay visit us either in Cyprus or in Wales, as, to them, it is so quiet.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:21 am Our near nieghbours,lovely people have installed a hen coup with about half a dozen hens.Of course accompanied by a cockerall.We all know what cockeralls do early in a mornings.This cockerall i,m sure can tell the time or maybe wears a Rolex as it crows at 4.15 every morning,not 4.10.not 4.20. but dead on 4.15.Its timing is impeccable.Even more amazing i,m sure it can count as it crows 13 times,not 11 not 12 dead on 13.
It has been suggested to us to go and see the Muchtar about this unwanted early morning call,but this family have lived in the village for a zillion years and we are just the new kids on the block so to speak and in a dispute would not stand a chance.In any case we have got along well with them and do not want to fall out.
We have started to wear ear plugs,and they work,but have read that the wearing of ear plugs over a period is not good for your hearing.
Of course there is always our afternoon nap when,god bless the little blighter,stays silent.
Serious question, why dont you follow and build one too, I doubt if they will be made to remove it, think about it fresh eggs every day, if you cant beat them join them,
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Anarita John wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:39 am Unlike the cockerall that lives near us that does not know the time and can crow at any time of the day or night. We also have the church bells, early on Sunday morning, numerous dogs barking and the early morning bugle from the army camp. But, it is all part of village life and we wouldn't swap it for the world. Much better than the constant police sirens that we used to hear in Rochdale.
Believe it or not, our friends, who live in city centre Manchester, find it hard to sleep when thay visit us either in Cyprus or in Wales, as, to them, it is so quiet.
Good post,we understand,as we are Rochdaleians ourselves.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I normally have to get up for a pee around that time so I would just see it as a convenient reminder.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Anarita John wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:39 am Unlike the cockerall that lives near us that does not know the time and can crow at any time of the day or night. We also have the church bells, early on Sunday morning, numerous dogs barking and the early morning bugle from the army camp. But, it is all part of village life and we wouldn't swap it for the world. Much better than the constant police sirens that we used to hear in Rochdale.
Yes John,but just how near to you does the cockerall reside.Our new cockerall nieghbour is firmly installed 25 metres from our bedroom window :(
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

When we first moved in, our Cypriot neighbour's cockerel crowed at about 3am every day. Needless to say, it woke us up but we decided it was simply part and parcel of living in a more rural area.
Then suddenly, the cockerel stopped crowing, so next time we saw our neighbour, we tried to ask him what had happened to the cockerel. Somewhere between our limited Greek, his even more limited English, and our mimes of "did you eat it", there was a hiccup in translation. Next thing we knew, our neighbour was back, with a chicken for us to kill and eat! Fortunately, he was willing to give us our first (and only) lesson in the art of turning a live bird into an oven ready one - but golly gosh don't those feathers smell awful when the bird is dunked in just boiled water prior to plucking! No wonder a burning feather was wafted about beneath the delicate noses of swooning maidens! 😀😀
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:27 am Not sure why a cockerel was necessary. For many years we kept between 6 and 9 hens and they laid eggs quite satisfactorily without a cockerel. Eggs do not need to be fertised to be eaten.
It is better to have happy hens, rather then frustrated hens, is it not :shock:
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Our cockerall is about two hundred metres away, as the crow flies. We used to live in Norden, so it was fairly quiet but, when we sold up in Norden, we rented a flat at the bottom of Edenfield Road, near the stadium, and even though the flats were set back from the main road,it was really noisy. The sirens went on all through the night.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Oh Chaddy, you have made my day with your hilarious post. 😍😂

We also lived in Anarita and have heard ALL the sounds Anarita John described. We kinda just learned to 'embrace it.'

I just loved your precise telling of the story. . . . . .But also your warmth in the telling of it. 😁

Good luck.

Maggie B
cactus

Post by cactus »

That's cheered all of us up, I think! We lived across the road from a Dyslexic (Chronolexic?) cockerel for years. We used to run a book on when he would start crowing. Like most of you we thought church bells, cockerels, and next door's dog were a distinct improvement on the sound of police sirens, burning rubber and gunshot that comprised our Sunday mornings in North Liverpool.