Traffic cameras being erected in Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
chatsworth

Traffic cameras being erected in Paphos

Post by chatsworth »

We saw the new traffic cameras being put in place at the Kennedy Square lights so no doubt other busy junctions are also being fitted out.
Paul

Re: Traffic cameras being erected in Paphos

Post by Paul »

A new target for the hunters then :D
WHL

Post by WHL »

Tanny wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:52 am I certainly hope so and they are removed soonest. I have never seen any accident of any note or incident that would merit erection of anything let alone a camera.

Money raising simple and the longer people let it be the less freedoms you will have.
Everyone and his dog, knows that jumping red lights is a national pastime in Cyprus, lets hope none of your love ones are injured or worse by someone jumping a red light, Less freedom,... unbelievable :roll:
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

perhaps similar to these ones...
https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/02/08/nico ... ain-roads/

Max
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Tanny wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:52 am I certainly hope so and they are removed soonest. I have never seen any accident of any note or incident that would merit erection of anything let alone a camera.

Money raising simple and the longer people let it be the less freedoms you will have.
According to the WHO, Cyprus is the 25th most dangerous place to drive in the world.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

mouse wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:50 pm It's all well and good putting up more cameras , but have they figured out how to send fines to people ?
After moving house, I tried to update my address with the TOM, but they refused, saying that it wasn't necessary and that no one did it! :o
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Everyone will stop 20 metres back from the junction in case they're photographed creeping over the white line like last time when they installed the cameras.
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:50 pm It's all well and good putting up more cameras , but have they figured out how to send fines to people ?
any unpaid fines will be flagged up in any police car that you pass, they have ANPR cameras fitted, so expect to be pulled over.
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

Someone I know was fined last week - he said that he saw a flash and that it must have been from a mobile camera. A few days later he received a written fine.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Morning all, listening to local radio today, they were talking about fines being issued and fines being collected, this is the procedure, if someone is caught on camera, a fine will be sent to them, if it is not paid a reminder will be sent to them, if it is still not paid then it will be given to a private debt collection firm, they will then track you down, Cyprus is a small place so they will find you, they will find out where you work etc and come after you, you will also be liable to the collection firms charges.
memory man

Post by memory man »

First registered letter with traffic offence recorded on speed cameras goes out on Wednesday

A month and a half after newly introduced speed cameras went live in Cyprus the first fines to motorists caught violating the highway code are to be sent out on Wednesday.

Not a single registered letter with a traffic offence has been sent out yet because of procedural issues that were recently resolved, Philenews also reported on Wednesday.

Operators have difficulty confirming mailing addresses due to bad record-keeping or the time needed to calculate penalty points when more than one violation is recorded.

As expected, the delay has built up a backlog of fines as the camera network reports hundreds of violations daily.

Four fixed and four mobile cameras currently in use are flagging over 800 violations per day, with the mobile units recording mainly speed violations.

The traffic camera network officially began penalizing motorists from January 1 after its introduction on 25 October.

Authorities decided at the time to impose a grace period before sending out tickets to offenders.

The first fines were to be sent out on 1 January, with authorities claiming this would give motorists the chance to familiarise themselves with the system.

There are currently four fixed and four mobile cameras while it is expected that gradually 90 fixed and 20 mobile ones will be introduced over three years.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/first-r ... wednesday/
josef k

Post by josef k »

chatsworth wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:01 pm We saw the new traffic cameras being put in place at the Kennedy Square lights so no doubt other busy junctions are also being fitted out.
I saw them working too. But I think it was routine maintenance rather then the erection of cameras.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I agree josef k. Having read what Chatsworth had written, I drove past these traffic lights today having a careful look at them. They did not look like the new traffic lights with cameras which have had photographs taken of them in the local media and the Cyprus Mail. The photos were shown when the were being fitted in Nicosia, several weeks ago,

Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

The mobile units that we have seen are set up on a tripod at the side of the road. The work like the ones that are permamently fixed. There was one set up close to Alpha Mega.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too have seen one at the side of the road near the Iasis
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:50 am What is a mobile unit? One fixed to a cop car?
"Mobile" seems to be a very flexible word in Cyprus. Like the mobile desalination plant.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Not sure that what on the lights at Kennedy Square are cameras. Something has definitely been fitted, a short grey cylinder on top of each post, but on the trip I’ve just done they are also on every traffic light and pedestrian crossing between there and St George Hotel. Perhaps they are provisions for the fitting of cameras in the future, or in some way connected to the smart city and smart parking proposals. No lens was visible on any of them that I could see.

On a trip back from Limmasol the other day, there were two of the usual mobile units in popular spots with the officers with the handheld speed guns (one as you exit the tunnel and one on the approach to the Pissouri exit), plus a camera in the back of a white van as you come down the hill to the end of the highway at Paphos. Whilst I don’t do as much highway driving as I’d did, that was the first time I’ve seen one of those so I imagine its part of the new batch of kit.

Ian
memory man

Post by memory man »

After bumpy start, 6,000 traffic camera fines finally issued

The first 6,000 fines for more than 30,00 traffic violations caught by fixed and mobile cameras have been sent out to offenders, 40 days after the system went live officially, police told CyBC radio on Thursday.

Deputy traffic chief Harris Evripidou said the out-of-court fines are being sent by registered mail together with links and passwords to a website where offenders can see details of the traffic offence as well as photographs.

Most of the offences are in residential areas, he added.

The fine must be paid within 30 days otherwise it will rise by half and must be paid within 45 days. If it is not paid by then, the case will be sent to court.

Four fixed cameras have been installed in Nicosia and police are also using four mobile cameras, the first phase of the plan that will eventually see 110 cameras across the Republic in a renewed push to stem the bloodshed on the roads.

Already beset with delays in its launch, the traffic camera scheme got off to a bumpy start when it emerged that administrative and procedural complications were holding up offenders being fined.

The first set of traffic cameras were launched on October 25 and were operating on a pilot basis until January 1, at which point fines were set to be issued.

Yet it is only 40 days after the grace period ended that the first fines have gone out, with a tangled bureaucracy and poor communication between government departments billed as the one of the main factors for the delay.

Local media reported last month that one office may have the public’s information stored in Greek, another in English and another in a mix of both, making it difficult to confirm a person’s place of residence, for example.

Mobile camera units typically record speeding violations while the fixed units also pick up passing the line at a red light, speeding, not wearing a helmet and parking on yellow lines.

The contract for the cameras includes 90 fixed units in 30 locations around the island as well as 20 mobile cameras which police will determine their location and operating hours on a daily basis.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/02/10/afte ... ly-issued/
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

I have seen one too on the road up from the fountain to Mesogi. It had a warning sign about 100yards before it. It was parked opposite the Wedding Planners building, a small white van with the back doors open.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The mobile unit I passed on the Paphos-Polis road was a small/medium size white van parked on the side of the road.
There was a circular camera lens approx half way up and near centre to one of the back doors.

There had been previous reports on FB of a similar vehicle in that vicinity and the person actually went back to the mobile unit and chatted to the person there - he was concerned he had been recorded but at that time no fines were being issued, and no, he didn't find out if he was speeding!