No Isolation

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: No Isolation

Post by Jim B »

El tel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:51 pm One thing that is very rarely mentioned is the virtual non existence of the flu virus here in the U.K. , is that because we have all been wearing masks ?

Terry
El Tel
I have mentioned that in several posts but people just choose to ignore it as it doesn't fit in with their viewpoint.
El tel

Post by El tel »

Good news is not deemed to be newsworthy in this modern world particularly with the BBC .

Terry
jeba

Post by jeba »

El tel wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:51 pm One thing that is very rarely mentioned is the virtual non existence of the flu virus here in the U.K. , is that because we have all been wearing masks ?

Terry
Most probably that and social distancing. Same in Germany. A few weeks ago the German RKI ( the health authority to which communicable diseases are to be reported to) announced that not a single case of flu had been reported to them this season.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Free ones here work well....just pick a box up from pharmacy!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Since the start of mask wearing, 18 months ago? I have not had the usual Bronchitis which I got every winter. So wearing the mask for me is very beneficial as well as topping the COVID, We still do all the usual wiping and sanitising all shopping etc and washing hands.
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The thing is Lloyd, Covid doesn't get you once, I know of people personally who have caught it four times and been badly affected each time.
To me you're an advocate of doing away masks even though they've been proven to work preventing Covid and an extra benefit it is restricting both Flu and the Common Cold. It's not as if we have to wear them 24/7, maybe an hour when we go shopping and that's about it.
I really don't know what all the fuss is about.

Just heard on Euronews that another virulent mutation of Covid has been identified in the Netherlands.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Neither of us have changed our hand washing regime. We wear a mask in the places we're required to.
We go out to our local club every week where we sing and dance with friends and nodding acquaintances.
And every so often, take the bus into town to our favourite large pub entertainment venue for more singing and dancing with artistes on stage from 13:00hrs through to 02:00hrs midweek and a couple of hours longer at the weekend. We're usually home by 21:00hrs though as that's our bus timetable curfew...
We've been on several holiday both overseas and in UK since the pandemic arrived and we have another holiday coming up next month.
So far, we're still standing and Covid free.
I'm asthmatic, mask wearing niggles it but I learned very quickly which type to avoid.
Life is for living. We've lost too many friends and colleagues at far too young an age to curtail our own.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I did wonder why we went from the Delta variant to the Omicron variant, it seems we didn't, but the ones in between were insignificant.

As the flu virus changes, the same will happen with Covid.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Our life is very nearly back to what it was pre-Covid and if anything my general health has improved greatly in the last 18 months.
I shall continue to do what works for me!

Rather than question or worse still ridicule people who do things differently to me, I respect their decisions.
Let them continue to do what works for them!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have got used to wearing a mask and so far,I have avoided covid (touch wood!), as well as flu and colds. I think that my health has improved. I try to eat a good diet, take Omega 3, Turmeric, and Vit C with zinc, plus a multi vitiamin and mineral tablet daily. I have had my 3 Covid jabs.
I have tried various types of mask, but find the FFP2 NR, which seems to be mainly cotton based, but also has an air filter, is a comfortable fit. I wear it in any crowded public space.

I always wash my hand's thoroughly when I return home from shopping, but don't wipe my groceries, though I wash fruit and veggies which can't be peeled or boiled.

I hope life will gradually return to normal, but also believe that prevention is better than cure!
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Good post Dee..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I look forward to the day when masks no longer have to be used. It would do more harm than good if they became a permanent feature, but they won't anyway.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:19 pm I did wonder why we went from the Delta variant to the Omicron variant, it seems we didn't, but the ones in between were insignificant.

As the flu virus changes, the same will happen with Covid.
They skipped some letters to avoid confusion in various languages, in much the same way that certain letters of the alphabet are skipped on number plates.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

The CDC is currently focused on two variants, Delta and Omicron, as variants of concern in the U.S. The classification is given to variants that show increased transmissibility, could cause more severe disease, may be resistant to antibodies from previous infections or vaccination, and/or show an ability to evade diagnostic detection.

The agency is still monitoring for other variants that are either no longer detected in the U.S. or are spreading at a slow enough pace that they don’t pose a serious risk. In addition to Alpha and Beta, they include the Gamma, Epsilon, Eta, Iota, Kappa, Zeta, and Mu variants.

While the CDC says it is monitoring all variants that are being reported in the U.S., the variant known as Lambda, which was first identified in Peru and spread mostly in South America, is not included on its lists of variants of concern, variants of interest, or variants being monitored.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.