Lewis Hamilton knighted !

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Lewis Hamilton knighted !

Post by Devil »

lotus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:19 pm and several sports people have been honoured
Why? In the first place, neither car racing nor football are sports. They are games according to Ted Moult. If a participant of a game happens to support a "good work" sufficiently to merit a gong (preferably by physically working for a charity), well and good but the award should be for his work of support. It's irrelevant that the citation includes the fact that he also happens to play a game such as cricket or netball (to be gender non-specific). I would expand this philosophy to include the arts, especially performing arts.

I would add that a lollipop lady outside a school may be more deserving of a gong after disciplining 50 years of brats than any TV presenter or similar!
Last edited by Devil on Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Devil wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:53 pm
Why? In the first place, neither car racing nor football are sports. They are games according to Ted Moult.
The difference between a game and a sport is simple. To play a sport, you have to change your shoes.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Devil,what a load of bo..acks
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

lotus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:58 pm Devil,what a load of bo..acks
Amen! Like the awards!
lotus

Post by lotus »

Motor racing and football are both sports,ever heard of the term motor sport? And what the hell does dear old Ted Moult got to do with it?
lotus

Post by lotus »

I think it would be nice that WHL admits he was wrong about Hamilton and checks his facts first
WHL

Post by WHL »

lotus wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:39 am I think it would be nice that WHL admits he was wrong about Hamilton and checks his facts first
You need to get a life sunshine, you obviously got nothing else going on to spend your time worrying about a multi millionaire and his award, my last word on awards, wasn't Jimmy Saville given a knighthood?
lotus

Post by lotus »

Nothing to do about getting a life,I just don't like people slagging somebody off when they don't know the facts,yes that animal Saville was given one I think but that's not the issue here,oh and by the way my partner is very ill with cancer again so have plenty going on in my life
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I love Andy Murray and loved what he’s done for British tennis, but I disagree with him being knighted…. Like I do about ANY sportsperson, armed forces general, high-up civil servant, politician etc.

Honours should be for efforts way over and above normal work, for the good of charity or society…. And don’t get me started on actors….
staffie

Post by staffie »

here's an example,
captain tom, for nhs workers, I think.