Prevalence of Omichron

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Prevalence of Omichron

Post by Dominic »

I have a feeling this thread won't age very well. It will get everywhere soon enough, just as all other variants have.

If, as has been reported, the payload is a lot milder - ie it is less likely to kill you or send you to hospital - then it may possibly be a good thing. Getting Omicron may turn out to be a natural vaccine.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

As you live in a Greek-speaking country, don't you think that omicron should be spelt correctly? I know that Dominic will be shooting me down in flames for lightly adding to a serious subject, but…
emgee

Post by emgee »

The real name includes the letters "X" and "I", but the Chinese presurised the WHO to leave these letters out so as not to include their Chairman in the name.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

emgee wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:43 pm The real name includes the letters "X" and "I", but the Chinese presurised the WHO to leave these letters out so as not to include their Chairman in the name.
They omitted "Nu" before they omitted "Xi", because it sounded too much like "New". Why didn't you moan about that?
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

The first three cases identified were sent to the Eden facility under mandatory quarantine!

From the Cyprus Mail last week:
The first three cases of Omicron were reported in the country on Friday among students at a Limassol technical school who have participated in a school trip in Glasgow. During contact tracing of the cluster at the specific school, an additional two Omicron cases were detected the next day.

All Omicron cases, including suspected cases were transferred to Eden rehabilitation resort in Tersefanou.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

The real name in Greek is omikron with a ‘k’ kappa - όμικρον

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
memory man

Post by memory man »

Surely the pronunciation is more important than the spelling!
wilky

Post by wilky »

According to the cyprus mail there are 74 in quarantine facility in Famagusta maybe waiting to be confirmed if it is delta or omicron.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Lloyd I refrain from the joining in with this pronounciation & spelling debate but your graph was alarming. Glad to see you are back on the forum. What if any was your experience of Cambridge?
Last edited by jagwheels on Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

110 ks in baggage :o It was nice to hear your comments but understand about the weather. We can't change that but can still manage some stage shows to keep us happy
emgee

Post by emgee »

Dominic

Not moaning, FACT.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Lloyd,
Wow! That was a lot of luggage.. I won't ask how much the air freight charge was....

If anyone has checked the forecast <weatherunderground.com> tonight, you can read that a Depression currently over Rhodes is forecast to come towards Cyprus. From Saturday night prolonged heavy rain, violent thunderstorms and gale force winds and heavy seas, are expected . It may be around until Monday....

Re your comments about the English winter, seems as if we may also be about to get some winter weather here too!

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

emgee wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:41 pm Dominic

Not moaning, FACT.
Well, you were moaning about the fact. Why weren't you moaning about them skipping Nu as well? Or wasn't that fact worthy of a moan because it didn't agree with your agenda?
jeba

Post by jeba »

My neighbour tested positive 2 days ago but they didn't bother to check which variant he caught. Makes me wonder where they knew from that there were only 28 cases of omicron in Cyprus ( as was reported at the time).
Last edited by jeba on Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In some ways, it would seem sensible for Cyprus to follow Frances example and ban all but Cypriots and legal residents of Cyprus , coming from the UK traveling here, but see that from pressures, especially from the hotels tourists will be allowed. I hope that with the daily increasing numbers of the positive tests carried out at both airports on arrivals, those tourists testing positive will actually carry out the detailed Govt Instructions to self isolate. Just seen these listed on 'In Cyprus'. But that seems to include those who are staying in their booked hotels. Who will police this? And will tourists follow quite complicated instructions? What about anyone without a smartphone or tablet, as this is required to comply with them....
Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Our daughter arrived at Paphos on Wednesday night and paid €19. It took over an hour to get the test as there were two people doing the testing and four planes landed close together. She received her result 8 hours later, not complaing just stating how it is in Paphos.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Who is actually paying those employees who have tested positive and therefore have to quarantine?
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Drove along the harbour yesterday lunch time, less people about but very few masks being worn.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well, when it isn't crowded, having a mask on outdoors is purely for aesthetic reasons.

Regarding my comment about this thread not aging well, Netherlands have now gone into a strict lockdown.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/12/18/neth ... -lockdown/

Interestingly, if Omicron is less potent, this could be the worst action you could take. I hope the number crunchers are working overtime on this.
Geertruida

Post by Geertruida »

The main reason the Netherlands have gone into lockdown is that only 9 percent of the population has had a booster shot.
The government is afraid the hospitals can't cope with numbers without a lockdown and they hope that by mid January the majority of the population will have had the booster shot. My decision not to fly out there on Monday turned out to be the right one.