CovScan application mandatory for SafePass checks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: CovScan application mandatory for SafePass checks

Post by Kili01 »

I was in my hairdressers last Friday. Shopkeepers and other businesses dealing with the public will have to buy a special scanner. She had just acquired one. The onus is going to be on businesses to scan their customers safe passes. She used mine, to test the scanner. She tried it on my smart phone, using the QR code, it then asked for the TAN no. Scan completed. She then tried my paper copy which I also carry. The scanner worked exactly the same way. I understood that the Govt inspectors will be checking businesses as they do now, after 1Dec to make sure customers safe passes have been scanned already. The aim of the increased surveillance is to try to stop the use of 'fake' safe passes... Apparently, there are some... I don't mind having my safe pass scanned/checked, we know what it's purpose is. I feel safer when in supermarkets, restaurants, that is when someone checks them.

The police have their hands full already, so this is the next step.
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I am assuming the QR code is a square box with black and white squiggles in it. I have a paper one and the same one on my phone. But what the heck is a TAN code.
And do these QR codes last forever ??
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

The TAN code is printed under the square box with black and white squiggles.

Transaction Authorization Number

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tr ... er-tan.asp

ie. Image
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Oh, there is nothing under the one I printed out a little while back :-(
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Where the heck do I get another up to date one, and does it really matter
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

HERE Trev
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thankyou Mr MM
Trev..
wilky

Post by wilky »

I was in the mall in Paphos today no scanning of the safe pass but the security at Public scanned my safe pass all good did not see any green light think he scanned it with a mobile phone could be wrong.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I tried to do a new copy for scanning and it won't accept any of the ID numbers that I enter.
Strange as I have a paper copy in my wallet but without the lettering below the square :-(
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:08 pm I tried to do a new copy for scanning and it won't accept any of the ID numbers that I enter.
Strange as I have a paper copy in my wallet but without the lettering below the square :-(
Trevor, you need to enter the id code exactly as was written on the vaccination certificate the staff at the vaccination centres wrote out.

The TAN codes have been on these EU docs since day one that they were launched - I printed mine within about an hour of them first being announced in the summer. For info, pthe TAN code (Transaction Authentication Number) is used to verify that it’s you requesting your certificate as it’s tied to your vaccination details and the phone number you provided when you got your jab. Every time you request your EU certificate the TAN code will change, it’s like the 2 factor authentication being used to verify online purchases by the banks and credit card issuers.

If you have a problem call the helpline on 1474, i found them very helpful when we spotted one of our names had been spelt incorrectly which would have caused a scene at the airport when it wouldn’t have been the same as per the passport.

Ian
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:53 am I was in my hairdressers last Friday. Shopkeepers and other businesses dealing with the public will have to buy a special scanner. She had just acquired one. The onus is going to be on businesses to scan their customers safe passes. She used mine, to test the scanner. She tried it on my smart phone, using the QR code, it then asked for the TAN no. Scan completed. She then tried my paper copy which I also carry. The scanner worked exactly the same way. I understood that the Govt inspectors will be checking businesses as they do now, after 1Dec to make sure customers safe passes have been scanned already. The aim of the increased surveillance is to try to stop the use of 'fake' safe passes... Apparently, there are some... I don't mind having my safe pass scanned/checked, we know what it's purpose is. I feel safer when in supermarkets, restaurants, that is when someone checks them.

The police have their hands full already, so this is the next step.
Dee
Dee, businesses don’t all need to buy a special scanner. Small businesses can just download an app on the Playstore and use their phone. Available for Android phones now and presumably for IPhones before 22nd November.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I'm only going by what I heard from the owner of the hairdressers, as of last Friday. Possibly she used personal circumstances when she decided to obtain a scanner or mobile which could be used by other members of staff working there, rather than surrendering her personal mobile phone to this constant use.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Yesterday (Friday) one shop that we use in Paphos 'Smart' had started using the CovScan app and it seems to work quite well.
They hold a phone over your phone, or a paper copy, and it shows a green light if all is OK.
I must say that I was disappointed that 3 other places we went into did not check that we even had a Covpass
Trev..