Cleaning grout between floor tiles …

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Cleaning grout between floor tiles …

Post by MacManiac »

The grout between the many floor tiles in our house has become discoloured and dirty over the years. I’ve seen videos where people are on their hands and knees using a toothbrush and decided this was not the way forward. Can anyone recommend some form of machine which will make this task easier?
memory man

Re: Cleaning grout between floor tiles …

Post by memory man »

Try this tip:-

Cleaning Tiles

Tiles are one of the favourite places for mould, limescale, and other dirty things. We usually clean this with a scrubbing brush and a lot of soap, but thanks to WD-40 this is a thing of the past. What do you need to do? Well, spray some WD-40 on the bathroom tiles and floor, let it soak and wipe them off with a clean sponge. Do not forget to dry the tiles, as you do not want them to become dull.

https://factstherapy.com/wd-40/?utm_sou ... 5djduaSXAQ
WHL

Post by WHL »

MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thanks to both. The problem is that our tiles extend from the living area, the dining and kitchen areas, both bedrooms and both bathrooms. At my age I do not want to have to kneel down on hard floors to scrub the grout. Hence my question regarding a machine of some sort (steam cleaner perhaps?).
WHL

Post by WHL »

MacManiac wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:24 pm Thanks to both. The problem is that our tiles extend from the living area, the dining and kitchen areas, both bedrooms and both bathrooms. At my age I do not want to have to kneel down on hard floors to scrub the grout. Hence my question regarding a machine of some sort (steam cleaner perhaps?).
You might have to get a professional cleaning team in to do the work, I'm guessing people who clean commercial kitchens etc, would be able to do the job.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

These people did the whole of my apartment and did a really good job and can highly recommend

Its been a few years since they did it and dont know if they are still going but worth a call
IMG_7256.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG (265.92 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Just checked and their web site is still live and they have a Facebook page that they posted on a few hours go

https://www.facebook.com/We-Clean-Any-F ... 291377071/
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Cementitious grout is a poor product in my opinion. It absorbs dirt and moisture. Most Cypriot floors have beige or off-white tiles with grout that is grey now, but matched the tile colour when it was installed.

Epoxy grout resists water and retains its colour but is much more expensive. We used it only in our swimming pool and external shower, but would have liked to use it everywhere.

Domochemia in Limassol has a Sika product that you combine with Sika cementitious grout to create an expoxy-like grout. Much cheaper. We used it in our bathrooms. Wish we had used it all over the house.
kansas

Post by kansas »

We bought a Shark steam cleaner from Amazon DE just before last Christmas. One of the best things we've bought IMHO. Cleans the grout perfectly as well as the tiles. Before that I used to spend a couple of hours twice or three times a year on my knees scrubbing with one of the magic white pads. That worked well but the steam cleaner is much easier.
kansas

Post by kansas »

We bought a Shark steam cleaner from Amazon DE just before last Christmas. One of the best things we've bought IMHO. Cleans the grout perfectly as well as the tiles. Before that I used to spend a couple of hours twice or three times a year on my knees scrubbing with one of the magic white pads. That worked well but the steam cleaner is much easier.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

kansas wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:12 pm We bought a Shark steam cleaner from Amazon DE just before last Christmas. One of the best things we've bought IMHO. Cleans the grout perfectly as well as the tiles. Before that I used to spend a couple of hours twice or three times a year on my knees scrubbing with one of the magic white pads. That worked well but the steam cleaner is much easier.
What model of Shark steam cleaner did you buy?
kansas

Post by kansas »

Hi MacManiac, it's the Shark Klik N' Flip Smartronic Deluxe Steam Rocket Mop (took the details from the user guide) which comes with 2 mop heads. It's not cordless but has a very long sturdy cable. With the amount of power it uses a cordless one probably wouldn't be up to the job IMHO. The mop head can be flipped over so you have two sides to clean with. Hope this helps.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

kansas wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:15 pm Hi MacManiac, it's the Shark Klik N' Flip Smartronic Deluxe Steam Rocket Mop (took the details from the user guide) which comes with 2 mop heads. It's not cordless but has a very long sturdy cable. With the amount of power it uses a cordless one probably wouldn't be up to the job IMHO. The mop head can be flipped over so you have two sides to clean with. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I appreciate your reply.