Post Brexit, British permanent residents in Cyprus cannot vote, stand in local elections

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Post Brexit, British permanent residents in Cyprus cannot vote, stand in local elections

Post by WHL »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:58 am As far as I am aware you cannot vote in Uk elections if you have been out of the country for 15 years. By out I mean not registered for council tax etc.
I think there is talk of changing that
The Aquila

Re: Post Brexit, British permanent residents in Cyprus cannot vote, stand in local elections

Post by The Aquila »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:05 am But pre-Brexit Aquila, UK expats in Cyprus had the best of both worlds.
Why do you think that you should be able to determine what happens in a country that you have left, have no desire to return to, and do not contribute to the economy of?

Just because “ you used to” is not a valid argument. Brexit has happened, rules have changed. Get over it and move on.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

WHL wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:47 am
Jim B wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:36 am
WHL wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:01 am

Take out Cypriot citizenship, then you will be able to vote on things that affect your family,
WHL
I wasn't referring to Cyprus I was answering Aguilas comment regarding the UK, I paid a he'll of alot of taxes over the years and I'm still payng my share and as Varky wrote, why should there be taxation without representation.
Simple answer, why should you be allowed to vote in a country's elections and decide the way a country is run, when you arnt committed enough to that country, by not taking up citizenship of that country, it seems to me, some expats want to have their cake and to eat it.
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I can't see where I said I wanted to vote in Cyprus, only provided a reason why the Cypriot government have recinded British residents voting rights.
If I do want to vote in Cyprus I would do what you suggest as my wife has done.
On the other hand, I'm a British Citizen and pay British taxes and feel I should have a say on UK political issues that affect my family and me.

Jimgym
You are right, presently it is 15 years but I thought it was against the Census though you be correct.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:04 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:47 am
Jim B wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:36 am

WHL
I wasn't referring to Cyprus I was answering Aguilas comment regarding the UK, I paid a he'll of alot of taxes over the years and I'm still payng my share and as Varky wrote, why should there be taxation without representation.
Simple answer, why should you be allowed to vote in a country's elections and decide the way a country is run, when you arnt committed enough to that country, by not taking up citizenship of that country, it seems to me, some expats want to have their cake and to eat it.
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. I can't see where I said I wanted to vote in Cyprus, only provided a reason why the Cypriot government have recinded British residents voting rights.
If I do want to vote in Cyprus I would do what you suggest as my wife has done.
On the other hand, I'm a British Citizen and pay British taxes and feel I should have a say on UK political issues that affect my family and me.

Jimgym
You are right, presently it is 15 years but I thought it was against the Census though you be correct.
Apologies I miss read your post, yes, I agree if you are a citizen of any country , you should be allowed to vote in its elections.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

The UK gives a right to vote to too many people.
Leave the Cypriots to do what they want with their country. I have been a legal resident here since 2004 and never been interested in registering or the desire to exercise any right to vote.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Jim B wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:04 pm On the other hand, I'm a British Citizen and pay British taxes and feel I should have a say on UK political issues that affect my family and me.
Where are you domiciled Jim?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:42 pm
Jim B wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:04 pm On the other hand, I'm a British Citizen and pay British taxes and feel I should have a say on UK political issues that affect my family and me.
Where are you domiciled Jim?
I think you already know the answer to that question but that's neither here nor there as I'm still contributing to the British tax system.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

So do many people and companies but that doesn’t give an automatic right to vote.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:52 pm So do many people and companies but that doesn’t give an automatic right to vote.
Maybe because they're not Citizens. It's just my opinion, maybe you disagree and that's your perogative.
Many countries allow their Citizens who are resident in other countries to vote in their "country of citizenship" and I believe in certain circumstances that's how it should be.
Discobolus

Post by Discobolus »

We pay the annual tax for running our village, but now we have no say as to who spends it, we have been here 14 years and have always voted in the municipality elections.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My wife and I came to Polemin in 2006 and like Discobolus we pay taxes which are used to run the village. But now we find we cannot vote in the local elections..
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL,

How long do you need tobe resident in Cyprus before you can apply for citizenship and what hoops do you have to jump through?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Times have changed.
If you become a Cypriot citizen by application and the relevant payment (takes approximately 2yrs or more) you are eligible to vote in Cyprus and as far as I recall, voting was obligatory as a registered citizen of Cyprus.

If you choose to apply for residency under the number of years already resident, without the application for citizenship and relevant language & knowledge test or payment, then no - you're not eligible to vote in Cyprus.

Blame Brexit for that. If you voted for Brexit or declined to vote at all, blame yourselves. The writing was already on the wall before June 2016.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Varky wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:41 pm WHL,

How long do you need tobe resident in Cyprus before you can apply for citizenship and what hoops do you have to jump through?
You have to be resident for seven years and in country for one year prior to application. It costs a €1,000 for the application, €500 for the passport and you have to pay for the Cyprus ID which is either €20 or €40 (can't remember).
You need documents such as Police Check and more or less everything you would need applying for Residency. You also have to submit two advertisements to a National Newspaper. I understand the government are talking about introducing a language test which is fallout over the Golden Passports.
We employed an Immigration Lawyer in Nicosia to submit my wifes application and it was completed in 12 months, my friends wife got hers in 8 months.
The other avenue is if you're the spouse of a Cypriot Citizen which is much easier, costs €300 for the application and €70 for the passport.
Discobolus

Post by Discobolus »

I read that people are saying that the Cypriot Govt doesn’t want all and sundry voting in the local elections, it’s seems quite easy if you pay village or town taxes you should be allowed to vote locally if you don’t you cannot vote, seems simple, I just don’t feel part of the village community anymore as I am not allowed to vote for who I would like to run the village where I live.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:46 am
Discobolus wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:13 pmWe pay the annual tax for running our village, but now we have no say as to who spends it, we have been here 14 years and have always voted in the municipality elections.

That was my point Discobolus, though Aquila seems to have twisted my argument the other way round. It is clear many Brits do like to be able to vote in their local Cyprus municipalities and have a say in what goes on. They were formerly able to do so, but can no longer.

trevnhil wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:32 pmMy wife and I came to Polemin in 2006 and like Discobolus we pay taxes which are used to run the village. But now we find we cannot vote in the local elections..

But from your postings in recent years I've got impression you supported Brexit? Many times you derided points I (as a Remainer) made. Is this an an unintended consequence of Brexit you were not aware of? Along with the many other inconveniences UK expats now suffer.
Being fed up with reading your Brexit posts is not a trait solely in the domain of the leave voters, I assure you. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:52 am Is it not true that there are far more permanent Cypriot residents who are living in the UK, who have been able to vote in all the UK elections?
Maybe it is possible to find out if their situation has changed since the UK exit from the EU?
Both Tala and Peyia have had active English representatives on their Community Councils who have done sterling work previously..
Dee
I do not know about the Tala lady, but the lady in Peyia is not English, she is Canadian but has taken the Cypriot nationality.
Louise :)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

From articles I've read it appears the Cypriots do not want to give other Third Country National groups the vote as they tend to be more politically minded and it's feared they would change the political balance in the country. That's the reasoning behind the removal of the British right to vote because they fear Russian and Cinese residents would demand the vote as well.
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

I cannot remember if brits were allowed to vote in the local elections before 01-May-2004.
WHL

Post by WHL »

BOB Peyia wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:04 am I cannot remember if brits were allowed to vote in the local elections before 01-May-2004.
I think it was only Cyprus's entry into the EU, which allowed all EU citizens to vote.