Completing Cypriot tax return

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sunspot

Completing Cypriot tax return

Post by sunspot »

Please forgive me if this question has been covered in another thread.

I had understood that, as retired expats, we must all now complete Cypriot tax returns, even if our income does not exceed €19,500 p.a.

Then I saw an article that states, "All individuals (salaried, pensioners and self-employed) who have a gross annual income above €19,500 must file a form for 2020."

Here is the URL: https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/07/23/taxi ... x-returns/

Are you exempt from filing if your income is below the limit, as in the past?
darrow

Re: Completing Cypriot tax return

Post by darrow »

No. It has been a requirement for a year or two now.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I agree with darrow. You need to file a tax return..
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

If in doubt fill it out......you don't want to risk a fine for not doing so.....
It's very simple to do ...
josef k

Post by josef k »

The plan was for everyone to file a return. However, I thought it's introduction was postponed, meaning that you wouldn't need to file for the year 2020 if your income is under 19,500.

Clearly other people don't agree. I guess the best way to find the true answer is to ask at the tax office.
Polly

Post by Polly »

In the previous couple of years there has been mention in the press and on here about having to file from 2020 for all income earners. To be absolutely sure I asked the tax office earlier in the year and was told that from 2020 everyone earning an income had to file a tax return.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And 'earning' an income includes people whose only income is a Pension or Pensions
Trev..
souniman

Post by souniman »

I emailed the tax department Limassol as my wife has never been registered to pay tax as her earnings are below the tax allowance. They replied that the need for everyone to complete a tax return had not been made law and she would not be required to register at this time.
chris&pam

Post by chris&pam »

I also emailed the tax office and this was their reply (a bit ambiguous):

No need to register and file a tax return if your income is no more than 19500 EUROS.

Obligation to file a tax Return have individuals with annual gross income of more than €19500.

However, if there is a need to submit a tax return, even in the case where annual gross income does not exceed €19500, you must firstly register within the Tax Department by completing form TD2001 and secondly register within TAXISnet by using the Tax Identification Code (TIC) and the unique registration number acquired upon registration to the Tax Department.
Dot n Dash

Post by Dot n Dash »

We also have a reply from Taxisnet stating that my wife iS NOT required to submit a return for 2020. Then how do the tax office record that she has exemption from GESY contributions?
souniman

Post by souniman »

That same thought crossed my mind if you do no have an S1 how can the collect GESY contributions.
Perhaps when the legislation goes through they will collect any unpaid years. But why worry it wont be a fortune
Last edited by souniman on Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
souniman

Post by souniman »

That same thought crossed my mind if you do not have an S1 how can they collect GESY contributions.
Perhaps when the legislation goes through they will collect any unpaid years. But why worry it wont be a fortune
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Trying to complete tax return for 2020.
The GESY exemption part I select s1 holder and also my NI number, date of MOH certificate and ref number leaving the form A1 dates empty as I dont have a form A1.

At the end of the form I am getting error saying A1 start and finish date required, I thought you only needed either S1 or A1.

Anyone else had this issue
Thanks
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

souniman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:57 pm That same thought crossed my mind if you do not have an S1 how can they collect GESY contributions.
According to the GESY website, the payment on contributions for pensioners is:
1/3/2019 to 28/2/2020 1.70% on their pension
1/3/2020 onwards 2.65% on their pension

On application, the MOH in Nicosia issues a document that ensures S1 form holders do not have to pay these contributions.
Unlike those receiving a Cyprus state pension on which the above contributions have to be paid.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Indeed we have the letter saying that we do not have to pay direct contributions to Gesy as we have an S1 form
Trev..
Polly

Post by Polly »

Flyer
I don't know what an A1 is but if you have a white medical card enter the start and end dates on that. Seems to work.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Tax office told me to enter 31/12/2021 as end date ...my S1 didn't show an end date...