Redcurrant Jelly and Mint Jelly

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Minerva

Re: Redcurrant Jelly and Mint Jelly

Post by Minerva »

Hi Tina, thank you for that info. best g today before it us sold out!!

Also, saw Mosfillo Jam in the new AlphaMega Store - two varieties - both Cypriot. x
Ruth x

Qui Me Amat, Amet et canem meum
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I am not surprised about your Mosfilo preserve (it's usually a thick jelly). For those who don't know it, Mosfilo preserve is made from a variety of Hawthorn, which grows wildly in this village and surrounds (Mosfiloti), hence the name. We have wild ones in the hill behind us and, in the autumn, you see half the housewives of the village collecting the fruit to make the jelly preserve. I have also been given jars of it by the communal offices. It is sold widely throughout the island as a kind of speciality.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Hi Tina,

Been down to Cycleband and got my Mint Jelly - only took two jars -we will be demolishing soon with many Lamb Dishes - including [ssh] Kleftico!.. Thank you again for info. I used to make my iwn in Scotland with windfall Apples and a huge amount of mint from garden - but very time-consuming.

I have also made Mosfilo jelly from local Hawthorn bushes but again quite time consuming - in my retirement!!!! :D :lol: ;)
Ruth x

Qui Me Amat, Amet et canem meum
cactus

Post by cactus »

DavidatLWH wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:22 pm M&S here are selling Marmite flavoured hot cross buns. :!:
What??
cactus

Post by cactus »

When we first arrived here 18 years ago I brought 32 jars of Chicken Bovril and made them last as I didn't think I could get it here. It's all gone now and the withdrawal symptoms are terrible! If anyone is going back and has room for a jar in their suitcase on return there's a drink in it for you. I'm now officially desperate!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Chicken Bovril in a jar lasts 18 years ... Wow !!! Were some of the jars a bit out of date ;-)
Trev..
cactus

Post by cactus »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:49 am Chicken Bovril in a jar lasts 18 years ... Wow !!! Were some of the jars a bit out of date ;-)
A little - but I hadn't broken the seal on the jars so they survived pretty well. I am truly desperate now however, and the more I post about it the more I can smell and taste it which isn't helping! By the way, for Marmite lovers I have just been told that Rick is selling Marmite-flavoured sausages in Greenwood's Butcher's. If they are as yummy as his plain pork ones then they probably will sell out quite quickly!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

cactus wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:38 am
DavidatLWH wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:22 pm M&S here are selling Marmite flavoured hot cross buns. :!:
What??
I love Marmite but the idea on a hot cross bun sounds about as disgusting as possible :lol: :lol:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

cactus wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:42 am When we first arrived here 18 years ago I brought 32 jars of Chicken Bovril and made them last as I didn't think I could get it here. It's all gone now and the withdrawal symptoms are terrible! If anyone is going back and has room for a jar in their suitcase on return there's a drink in it for you. I'm now officially desperate!
A friend is flying back next week, I will ask if she can get a jar for you.
cactus

Post by cactus »

Jimgym wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:31 pm
cactus wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:42 am When we first arrived here 18 years ago I brought 32 jars of Chicken Bovril and made them last as I didn't think I could get it here. It's all gone now and the withdrawal symptoms are terrible! If anyone is going back and has room for a jar in their suitcase on return there's a drink in it for you. I'm now officially desperate!
A friend is flying back next week, I will ask if she can get a jar for you.
Thank you!
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Marks.png
Marks.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1697 times