Parcels by Post to Cyprus - Duties Payable

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Parcels by Post to Cyprus - Duties Payable

Post by galexinda »

WHAT CHANGES FOR E-COMMERCE BY MAIL FROM 1 July [VAT and excise duty]
Filenews 25 June 2021 - by Evagoras Prokopiou

The new pan-European rules on VAT also touch on e-commerce in Cyprus. From 1 July 2021, new VAT rules will come into force, offering businesses across the EU a simpler and uniform management system. This also directly affects what will apply to this form of trade and to parcels by post.

On the basis of the above directive we have referred to the Cyprus Post Office and list below what will apply to packages in Cyprus.

You must pay import duties, VAT and excise duties, as appropriate. There are also exceptions such as a gift from private to private. Possibility of exemption from import duty, excise duties and VAT on consignments the value of which does not exceed €45. In the case of tobacco products/alcoholic beverages/perfumes and colognes, the exemption may be granted provided that the quantity of these articles does not exceed the permitted quantities. In order to be able to grant the exemption, gifts must be of an opportunistic nature, e.g. birthday, anniversary, must be sent from an individual in a third country to a private individual in Cyprus without any form of payment or are intended for personal use by the recipient and must not by their nature or character have any commercial interest.

Possibility of exemption from import duty and VAT on packages the value of which does not exceed €17.09. From 1/7/2021 the exemption from VAT is abolished. Import duties may also be exempted if the value of the package does not exceed €150. The exemption is not granted to tobacco and alcohol as well as perfumes or colognes. For packages in excess of €150 the import duty and VAT are paid.

In the case of second-hand goods, they shall be subject to the same rate of import duty and tax as if they were new. What's different is the value.

What is valid until 30 June 2021

Packages with a value not exceeding €17.09 are exempt from import duty and VAT, with the exception of tobacco, alcohol, perfumes and cologne. From 1/7/21 the goods in question shall be exempt only from the import duty. While packages with a value from €17.09 to €150 are exempt only from import duties with the exception of tobacco, alcohol, perfumes and cologne, VAT is paid.

In the case of non-commercial packages with a value not exceeding €45 from a private person in a third country to a private individual in Cyprus, they are exempt from import duty, VAT and excise duties.

Tariff value and import duties

The main basis for the calculation of the customs value is the transaction value, i.e. the value of the customs value. the value actually paid plus transport and insurance costs. Goods imported from outside the EU are subject to import duties, the amount of which depends mainly on the tariff classification, country of origin and value. Duties shall be calculated on the customs value including the purchase price, plus costs such as transport costs and security.

Courtesy of Tala Community News
Kili01

Re: Parcels by Post to Cyprus - Duties Payable

Post by Kili01 »

Can we think of all this as another consequence of an unplanned Brexit by a muddled UK Govt? Hands up any Brit expat who voted for it?
Has anything happened to benefit Expats?

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Mine is still RED ☺️
I damn well made sure to renew it before the buggers changed the colour!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

:lol: They get more exercise standing in Qs waiting to exchange one form or license or another
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:40 am
Ah, I know the one and only answer to that question, Dee: blue passports.
Utter bollocks! The colour of the cover of the passport has no significance whatsoever.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:16 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:40 am
Ah, I know the one and only answer to that question, Dee: blue passports.
Utter bollocks! The colour of the cover of the passport has no significance whatsoever.
Tell that to all the Brexitiers, who have been yearning for the return of their old passports.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

Just need to get back to ration books and dried egg and the job will be complete...................the good old days !!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:49 am Can we think of all this as another consequence of an unplanned Brexit by a muddled UK Govt? Hands up any Brit expat who voted for it?
Has anything happened to benefit Expats?

Dee
Over half the population who actually bothered to get off their arse and vote, voted for it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

I have never understood how a Brit of pensionable age living in the EU switching their Sterling pension to Euros would happily vote themselves a 15% reduction in their income but they did
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Sheer Khan wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:45 am I have never understood how a Brit of pensionable age living in the EU switching their Sterling pension to Euros would happily vote themselves a 15% reduction in their income but they did
But for those who actually voted, were they told that there would be a 15% reduction in their Pension ?
I don't think so !!
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

Short term losses, long term gains?....who knows....
WHL

Post by WHL »

daveg wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:12 am Short term losses, long term gains?....who knows....
Or long term losses for short term gains?
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

It was widely reported in the media, currency analysts predicting up to 20% drop in the sterling euro, still waiting for these long term gains.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

It is what it is, and I find it laughable that those who couldn't be arsed to vote are the ones who whinge the loudest, and longest. :lol:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And I would have thought the majority were eligible to vote, unless you had been here a very long while.
I have in mind that you could vote if you had been here less than 15 years. But I have not checked up on that.
But in Jimgym's words there are those who couldn't be arsed to vote..
Trev..
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:41 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:35 pm It is what it is, and I find it laughable that those who couldn't be arsed to vote are the ones who whinge the loudest, and longest. :lol:
I think the majority of us were not eligible to vote
If you’ve been away from Britain for 15 years yes. I have no idea if the majority are ineligible, perhaps you could enlighten me on that? Then there are those who just couldn’t be bothered.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:02 pm
Jimgym wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:42 pm
Les Bean wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:41 pm

I think the majority of us were not eligible to vote
If you’ve been away from Britain for 15 years yes. I have no idea if the majority are ineligible, perhaps you could enlighten me on that? Then there are those who just couldn’t be bothered.
I just get the impression most on here have been away from the UK 15+ years. Obvs I can't enlighten you as its an observation same as yours is re number who are eligible
As I thought. :lol:
glowred

Post by glowred »

We have been here since 2003 and we voted in the referendum but not been eligible in subsequent elections

Neil
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:08 am And because Lloyd did not vote, he has become the whipping boy. The fact that some vociferous Brexiteers did not vote either matters not. But because Lloyd as Remainer did did not vote - and his one vote could have, would have, completely changed the outcome of the referendum - let's lay into him. A pathetic criticism, but it's the only one they have and they repeat it ad-nauseum. I can live with that :lol:

jimgym came close to admitting Brexit has been a disaster when he said "It is what it is..."
Possibly the most ridiculous thing you have ever posted. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I was so far away from even beginning to think, let alone admit that Brexit was a disaster that I can only assume the heat has affected you. The constant, and frankly tedious posts from you, a person who didn't bother to vote is quite frankly, embarrassing. Those people who you term Brexiteers, (with no proof) have accepted the result of a democratic referendum. Perhaps because as they didn't get off their backside and participate, don't feel they have the right to constantly whine about it.
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

Brexit has happened and, surely, it is time to move on whether or not you voted for it. Some on this forum get so worked up about it that I worry about their blood pressure!

This will probably be contentious with some, but Brexit was for the benefit of the UK and if someone chose to relocate to another country, often many years ago and, in some cases even before Cyprus joined the EU, if things changed for you, continually harping on about it changes nothing and, having left the UK 5, 10, 15 or more years ago, why should you expect to retain all the benefits of living in the UK as a part of the EU? As with many on this forum, I have friends who have settled all over the globe and embraced everything their new countries have to offer. Nostalgic, certainly from time to time, but bitter about some negative effects, No, because of all the plus points offered by their new homes. It's why they left the UK.

Incidentally, I voted Remain.