Procedure for buying a second hand car privately

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
CYWALL

Procedure for buying a second hand car privately

Post by CYWALL »

Hi all,
I'm buying a second hand car privately, both the seller and myself the buyer, have no idea in how we go about exchanging ownership details as we have never done this before.
We know he (the seller) has to go to the transport department but would I have to go with him as well, my guess is yes but neither of us know for sure. If I have to, would I need to complete any forms and take any I.D. with me.
You hear so many different stories, so I thought I'd ask here and get the real info!
Cheers everyone.
holitec

Re: Procedure for buying a second hand car privately

Post by holitec »

The easiest way is to go to Citizens Service Centre with your documents (passport, yellow slip and registration document), I sold one last year and it was very easy to do. They did the necessary forms there.

Digby
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Don't forget an Insurance Cover Note for the car you are buying which needs to have a minimum of 3 months validity.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Here is another little tip.. make sure that it is Taxed by seeing the tax disk, or at least the receipt for payment of road tax.
I am assuming it has an current MOT
Trev..
ast

Post by ast »

Just as a matter of interest do you need to produce a cypriot driving licence when buying / registering a car. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
WHL

Post by WHL »

ast wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:18 pm Just as a matter of interest do you need to produce a cypriot driving licence when buying / registering a car. 8-)
I don't think I showed a license when buying a car, buying a car doesn't have to mean you want to drive it?
Last edited by WHL on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darrow

Post by darrow »

I sold one a couple of years ago. Buyer and i went to citizens center. Don't forget log book, insurance, buyer must have insurance cover too. Licence .Take MeU3 or what you have. Can't remember the rest but think they have already been mentioned.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Think you also need to complete a Form TOM_9B In Greek. Available on Motor Transport site.
If you Google the form there is a English translation available.

I tend to go to the Polis Citizens office (live in Peyia). Appointment needed. You can get an appointment in 2 or 3 day from ringing.
Happy to be back on the Island!
daveg

Post by daveg »

Went to Polis as well with my completed form, they took no notice of it ,and supplied and completed another form in my presence.......
sueb

Post by sueb »

Always a good idea to put the car in 2 names. As it helps if a person dies. Have heard a lot of stories of people not being able to sell a car.
Happy to be back on the Island!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have ours registered in Joint names and also the insurance is in Joint Names as well
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

Joint names doesn't help you sell the car should your partner die, you still have to wait for probate, unless you have mirror Power of Attorneys.......
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

CYWALL wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:50 pm Hi all,
I'm buying a second hand car privately, both the seller and myself the buyer, have no idea in how we go about exchanging ownership details as we have never done this before.
We know he (the seller) has to go to the transport department but would I have to go with him as well, my guess is yes but neither of us know for sure. If I have to, would I need to complete any forms and take any I.D. with me.
You hear so many different stories, so I thought I'd ask here and get the real info!
Cheers everyone.
Morning all, I just wanted to say thank you for all your advice and to give a little feedback to you if it helps.
First thing I learned was the seller hasn't got to be present to exchange ownership, he just signs the form, so take it with you for him/her to sign.

After paying him for the car and armed with the signed form, log book, MOT cert, and having viewed the tax disc (to the end of the year) we made our way to the next port of call, the insurance office.
After insuring the car in both names we attempted to ring the citizens advice people based in the post office numerous times
without success.

Then a friend suggested we go to Pentaras Motors in Chloraka, where they will process all the paperwork for you for a fee.
That was what we did, hassle free, she accepted all the paperwork as above, the fee was 30 euros as we wanted both named as owners, 25 euros for just one named owner, left it all with the young lady there, and she will call us tomorrow when everything will be completed.
I know it costs doing it this way but it's far easier.
Thanks again everyone.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I don't think that the citizens centre in the post office will exchange ownership, the one on butcher boy road does you just turn up and take a ticket to wait your turn.
Well done anyway
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Have the rules changed recently as you used to have to make an appointment during Covid ?
Trev..