Yes or No?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
DavidatLWH

Re: Yes or No?

Post by DavidatLWH »

PhotoLady wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 pm nor the beans for my English breakfast to be put into a separate ramekin on the plate

That's to stop them running all over the plate. The answer, of course, as Alan Partridge pointed out, is to use your sausages as a dam. :lol:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

DavidatLWH wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:43 am
PhotoLady wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:17 pm nor the beans for my English breakfast to be put into a separate ramekin on the plate

That's to stop them running all over the plate. The answer, of course, as Alan Partridge pointed out, is to use your sausages as a dam. :lol:
Sausages?
Not on my plate! Working for over 3yrs on the deli and meat counter put paid to me eating sausages over 50yrs ago....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Les Bean wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:27 pm
Totally understandable, but to send food back to be presented to your idea of normal, rather than the restaurant's standard presentation is, I think, ott and unnecessary
It was our first and only visit to this chain of restaurants. It's not going to be repeated.
A message which says "we do not serve meals on a plate" would have been sufficient. We could have all left before placing our order....

I am talking 2017 so I think it's definitely fair to say that experience was enough.

We had a breakfast in a timeshare unit in Cyprus one time. Beans served in ramekins. My beans were fishy. The ramekin had been used for anchovies and it absolutely stunk to high heaven. Profuse apologies but I refused a replacement dish and couldn't get rid of the taste.

I rarely eat a cooked breakfast even on holiday. I prefer grilled food rather than fried but I may just try one during a 7 - 10 night stay.

The one I referred to above was a special which came as part of an offer from the Christmas Day dinner the afternoon before and we attended the next morning for breakfast as a group.

Needless to say, I never had another there again before we left Cyprus.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
cactus

Post by cactus »

Dominic wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:21 pm Regarding odd restaurants, there was a famous one in London's China Town called Wong Kei. They were famous for having really really rude staff. You go there and its "You sit here". Look at the wrong menu and "That menu not for you. This your menu. Put that one down". Funniest was the graffiti in the bog, where people had slagged off the staff by writing about them on the walls. The staff had written responses.

Apparently it had a refurb a few years back and they have since stopped all that. Shame, as it was a laugh, in an odd way.
I remember it very well. It was the place to go before seeing a band at the Marquee as it was half the price if you went early in the evening. The food was lovely but yes, the staff were eye-wateringly rude! I am now wallowing in nostalgia ................
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:21 pm Regarding odd restaurants, there was a famous one in London's China Town called Wong Kei. They were famous for having really really rude staff. You go there and its "You sit here". Look at the wrong menu and "That menu not for you. This your menu. Put that one down". Funniest was the graffiti in the bog, where people had slagged off the staff by writing about them on the walls. The staff had written responses.

Apparently it had a refurb a few years back and they have since stopped all that. Shame, as it was a laugh, in an odd way.
That reminded me of a dodgy chinese restaurant we used to go to in Southgate, N London opposite the tube station , circa 1970 it was always busy, because it was cheap and near the local collage so it was always full, and plenty of people waiting for a table, so too get around this problem the waiting staff used to hover around and if they thought you had finished they would whip your plate away even if you still had food on the plate, this caused many arguments with punters running after the waiters and having a tug of war with the waiter for the plate, I kid you not it got to the stage were you would eat your food but keep one hand on the plate, so they wouldn't take it :shock: