Yes or No?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Yes or No?

Post by WHL »

Must admit I get peed off when in a restaurant and they serve me my food on one of those wooden blocks with just a thin piece of paper covering it, my moan is how hygienic is it, because I dont think they are washed between servings, they just change the paper,, what's wrong with a clean plate?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -them.html
boycott

Re: Yes or No?

Post by boycott »

I survived eating fish and chips from yesterdays newspaper so why not eat from other things than plates.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Would anyone try this place out for a laugh? count me out :lol:

Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I had a debate about something similar to this with a friend in California, he took a picture of his food on a paper plate and plastic cutlery, I said think of all the landfill used for this waste, he said think of all the water saved from washing up.
There is a water shortage there and I suppose that land fill is the lesser of two evils.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I hate food on wood or slate, or served on top of a napkin which goes soggy before you can remove the bloody thing.

I just want a plate.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

[quote=WHL post_id=137203 time=1621936678 user_id=604]
Would anyone try this place out for a laugh? count me out :lol:

Food looks shite :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Regarding odd restaurants, there was a famous one in London's China Town called Wong Kei. They were famous for having really really rude staff. You go there and its "You sit here". Look at the wrong menu and "That menu not for you. This your menu. Put that one down". Funniest was the graffiti in the bog, where people had slagged off the staff by writing about them on the walls. The staff had written responses.

Apparently it had a refurb a few years back and they have since stopped all that. Shame, as it was a laugh, in an odd way.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Reminded me of a pub in Yorkshire when smoking became taboo. A sign outside said "I smoke, my wife smokes & the fire smokes. If you don't like smoke bugger off"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

boycott wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:42 pm I survived eating fish and chips from yesterdays newspaper so why not eat from other things than plates.
But were you eating your chippy tea in a restaurant?
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Dominic wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:07 pm I hate food on wood or slate, or served on top of a napkin which goes soggy before you can remove the bloody thing.

I just want a plate.
Me too!

We were in Malta about 3yrs ago and we went to Ocean Basket for the first time with friends and my mum.

Totally gobsmacked when the food was served in a frying pan each rather than on a plate.

I handed mine straight back and asked for a plate and the other 4 members of our group all followed suit.

There's no way I'm paying to sit in a restaurant and eat off a wooden board or a piece of slate and non-stick brown paper. I always ask for a plate, or don't frequent places where they have that process.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:28 am Aren't we in the developed world fortunate to worry about the manner in which our food is served 8-)
You have a point, HIC, but my objection to being served food on a wooden board is, it is no way hygienic most restaurants put their plates in a dishwasher, where the heat will kill most germs etc, Ive had steaks served on a wooden board, and the blood and juice from the steak runs onto the wood, the boards are not put into dishwashers, the place I went to simply wipe the boards and place a new piece of paper over them, before using them again, Remember you can catch Hepatitis and STDs from saliva, not forgetting Covid, so I for one will giving these restaurant's a miss.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

WHL wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:32 am [the boards are not put into dishwashers, the place I went to simply wipe the boards and place a new piece of paper over them, before using them again,
Wooden chopping boards used in the Kitchen are not cleaned immersed in water or dishwashers as they can warp. I have known a few chefs over the years and they all prefer wooden boards, but plastic is more convenient, if you think that the amount of raw and cooked meat that is chopped on them over the years of use and just cleaned with a sponge and soapy water it makes you wonder why this practice has never been banned.
I cant see that it is any different from serving food on them.

https://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-10 ... ting-board

I expect that you wont be going back there again.
David
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

If food is not on a plate I reject it. Then not go to the place ever again.
All things are possible
josef k

Post by josef k »

I also expect my food to be on a plate. The sort of places that go for the wood/slate option are far to pretentious (and expensive) for me.

On a similar vein, there is coastal cafe/bar (no names) that served my wife a cocktail in an old tin mug. Needless to say We have never been back.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Have you seen the crazing on many restaurant plates? Yes, it can harbour nasties.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Some establishments serve drinks in what I can only call "Jam Jars" Not for me thanks I want my drink in a proper glass.
All things are possible
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Lincoln wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:53 pm Some establishments serve drinks in what I can only call "Jam Jars" Not for me thanks I want my drink in a proper glass.
I'm with you on this too!
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thank goodness we are in the developed world, HIC. I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's "At Home - a short history of private life". Excellent book on how the ordinary things in life came to be. Having read most of it we are so fortunate to be living now when we can take home comforts for granted. Just for the record, definitely a plate for me!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Jamie Olivers places used to serve fried breakfasts in frying pans, it is just a fad, and as said most overpriced young and trendy places do this kind of thing.
So if your not young or trendy stick to what you know best, like a greasy spoon 😜
David
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

mouse wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:57 pm oceanbasket we're serving on not frying pans but a stainless steel frying pan style plate , they were not used for cooking the food, it was just a fashion thing, at least they were put through the dish washer, unlike wood stainless steel is well suited to catering.
Yes, of course we all realised they were not pans which had been used to cook the food in.

I just hate my food to be messed about with. I don't want my chips served in small wire basket, nor the beans for my English breakfast to be put into a separate ramekin on the plate or my pie, lasagna or any part of my main meal to be served in a separate dish.
Don't get me on those huge stacked burgers that are impossible to eat without totally disassembling them!

All pretentious twaddle, just to be different. I'm not interested in different, I just want my food to look "normal".