At what elevation to expect snow / frost

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: At what elevation to expect snow / frost

Post by Kili01 »

No one has mentioned this. One reason why many people tend to live within fairly easy reach of Paphos may be due to health reasons. Accident or sudden onset of illness can happen to anyone particularly as one gets older. I know of a couple of people who lived out in the villages between Paphos and Polis who sadly have died from heart attacks. In an emergency, prompt hospital treatment may be vital.
Dee
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:39 am No one has mentioned this. One reason why many people tend to live within fairly easy reach of Paphos may be due to health reasons. Accident or sudden onset of illness can happen to anyone particularly as one gets older. I know of a couple of people who lived out in the villages between Paphos and Polis who sadly have died from heart attacks. In an emergency, prompt hospital treatment may be vital.
Dee
That is making me curious about the medical service in Cyprus?. Are there laws/regulations in place regarding the time an emergency doctor has to be able to reach a dwelling?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Although I do know of a GP that does house calls if really necessary, as far as I know No Doctor comes to the house if you call for an Ambulance..

You can call the Cypriot ambulances, and they come immediately but I have no idea what equipment they carry or the knowledge the driver and mate possess.. As far as I know the Cypriot Ambulances will only transport you to the General Hospital and not to private hospital of your choice

Or you can take out a subscription to a Private Ambulance company and they with send an emergency ambulance to you home address ..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

No, Trev is right. Here in Cyprus. You have 2 options.If the patient is reasonably mobile, put them in the back of a car and drive directly to your chosen hospital. Bear in mind that the General Hosp is supposed to have the best ICU facility. Or summon an ambulance either state owned or private, if you subscribe.
The private ambulances should be fully equipped and carry paramedics. They will probably be much quicker to arrive. But all ambulances have to get to you from Paphos, so will take much longer.

Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Its not a competition on how quickly people can drive somewhere, my times are based on how long it would take me, not breaking the speed limit and allowing for slow moving traffic like cement wagons that are common on Klimakas hill, and obviously it is a bit slower coming back up the hill again.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:16 pmOr summon an ambulance either state owned or private, if you subscribe.
The private ambulances should be fully equipped and carry paramedics. They will probably be much quicker to arrive. But all ambulances have to get to you from Paphos, so will take much longer.
Do you have to have some sort of subscription? Can´t you pay on a case-to-case basis? Who would be sent to an accident scene if you dial 112? A public ambulance even if a private one might be closer and could be there quicker?
WHL

Post by WHL »

The vast majority of the Cypriot population seem to manage, with out resorting to Private Ambulances?
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

jeba wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:25 pm
Kili01 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:16 pmOr summon an ambulance either state owned or private, if you subscribe.
Do you have to have some sort of subscription? Can´t you pay on a case-to-case basis? Who would be sent to an accident scene if you dial 112? A public ambulance even if a private one might be closer and could be there quicker?
Yes you pay a subscription, i am not sure of the cost.
They usually have your GPS location so that they can find your property easier, you dial their number for assistance.
David
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

WHL wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:43 pm The vast majority of the Cypriot population seem to manage, with out resorting to Private Ambulances?
Yes, but they usually have family at hand to help, an elderly person would struggle to get their unwell spouse into a car.
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:50 pm
WHL wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:43 pm The vast majority of the Cypriot population seem to manage, with out resorting to Private Ambulances?
Yes, but they usually have family at hand to help, an elderly person would struggle to get their unwell spouse into a car.
Not everyone many elderly Cypriots live in remote villages, while their kids live in the towns, surely in an emergency you would ring for an ambulance before attempting to put them in a car,
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Not necessarily. I was having a heart attack here in Polemi in 2007... My wife got me into the car and drove me to Paphos General at around 6am in the morning.. We figured by the time we had explained where we lived and the Ambulance travelled to Polemi we could be at A&E..
I did later that day have a full blown heart attack but my heart was restarted again.. Like a lot of things in life it is or was a gamble..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

jeba wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:03 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:38 pm Unless you want to be able to open your front door and run into the sea, .
That's what I can do now (almost, it's about 500 m). However, I'm renting and couldn't afford land prices around here. At least not for a plot bigger than a beach towel.
What about th other Potential downsides I mentioned above (under the flightpath, dust, mosquitos, noise, slow internet, voltage fluctuations switching off my PV net metering system...)? Let me add snakes and feel free to and what you think I forgot.
Ok.

What flightpath?
Dust tends to be better than on the coast
Ditto mosquitos.
You might get the odd barking dog, but that is true anywhere. Other than that, you don't get drag racers going up and down the main road, though you might hear the odd harvester in the middle of the night. Normal night time sound is either crickets or frogs though.
Internet isn't slow.
Your PV system needs adjusting.
Only tend to see snakes when walking in the Akamas.

If you wanted a minus, the post service doesn't exist. Well it does, but only to a PO Box. We have no chance of a letter being delivered to our doorstep. Very occasionally a courier will find us, but normally we meet them in the centre of Polemi.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

WHL wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:33 pm
Uncle D wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:50 pm
Not everyone many elderly Cypriots live in remote villages, while their kids live in the towns, surely in an emergency you would ring for an ambulance before attempting to put them in a car,
Yes, but they have lots of neighbours. Most of the Cypriot people in my village actually live in and around the village centre, us foreigners usually live on the outskirts, not all but most and have less neighbours.
Two years ago I was in a similar position as Trev and my wife got me to the general I could just about walk to the car. Now that I have had the necessary treatment and at the moment I am not too worried of it happening again, but in the long term either we will move or join a private ambulance service.
Anyway just because others dont use a service doesn't mean that you or anyone else shouldn't.

On another note last year there was a car accident near the main Post office in Paphos it is literally around the corner from the general hospital, an ambulance was called and it took ages getting there as the ambulances were all out at the time, sadly the person died, maybe if the people present could have put them on the back of a truck they could have got them to A and E in minutes and they would still be alive.
A similar thing happened to my father in law in the UK, if they had put him in a car and drove the few miles to a hospital they could have saved his life.
David
daveg

Post by daveg »

As I've mentioned before.....called a private Ambulance to assist my wife who had had a stroke ... Ambulance duly arrived within40 mins with Paramedics on board ...cost €250 ...
We live Ina small village out in the sticks....was very impressed....
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:34 pm What flightpath?
To and from Paphos airport. Living under the flightpath of Larnaca airport I´ve had enough of that, believe me.
Dominic wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:34 pm Your PV system needs adjusting.
No, it was a problem on the EAC side (voltage fluctuations). They fixed it once my electrician told be about it, and after I had complained, but recently it seems to be coming back.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Uncle D wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:47 pm
jeba wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:25 pm
Yes you pay a subscription, i am not sure of the cost.
Would paying for a subscription make sure that in a real emergency they´d also send an emergency physician or just paramedics?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

jeba wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:38 pm
To and from Paphos airport. Living under the flightpath of Larnaca airport I´ve had enough of that, believe me.
More than 95% of the landings and starts at Paphos airport happen from the Limassol side, so for example Mandria village on the coast is affected, but none of the hinterland of Paphos

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

jeba wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:38 pm
Dominic wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:34 pm Your PV system needs adjusting.
No, it was a problem on the EAC side (voltage fluctuations). They fixed it once my electrician told be about it, and after I had complained, but recently it seems to be coming back.
Doesn't affect Polemi.

Of course the problem is with EAC. However, your PV system can be adjusted so that it the voltage fluctuations are manageable. You won't generate quite as much electricity, but you will generate it without the system cutting out. That's what happened with our system, anyway.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Jeba, the private ambulance has several payment schemes, annual, , 6mths, etc. when you join, they usually visit you at home and take all your health particulars and answer any questions. They will also have your address and exact GPS location. If you call them out, they will come straight to your home. They arrive and having trained paramedics on board, can give emergency, lifesaving treatment. Their task is to take you straight to the hospital (in Paphos). Once they arrive, they will stay with you until you are admitted.
Doctors work in the hospitals and don't normally go to a patient's home.
If you dial 112 you will get a public service ambulance.
You can pay on a case by case basis for private ambulance, but it is likely to prove more expensive, so most people subscribe.
Dee
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:44 pm They arrive and having trained paramedics on board, can give emergency, lifesaving treatment.
That´s a bit concerning. Don´t they dispatch emergency doctors in case of an emergency? What if you need immediate treatment which paramedics can´t provide and that can´t wait until you arrive at a hospital half an hour (or more) later?