UK Still in Category B! (Oct 6th)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

UK Still in Category B! (Oct 6th)

Post by Dominic »

Great Britain remains in Category B, as Cyprus revealed the latest changes to the country categories for the Flight Pass.

Read the article and chat about it below...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Re: UK Still in Category B! (Oct 6th)

Post by Kili01 »

It makes very interesting reading...
But what exactly is Molecular Covid19 testing? Also if you read down to Cat C. Countries, there is mention of Molecular Alzheimer Covid 19 testing. Wonder what that is,( never heard of it before}!

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Probably a mis-translation. This was translated via Google, automatically.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I would be much happier if every single person flying from the UK had to produce the required negative covid test rather than the current system whereby Cypriots and residents can opt to have the test done on arrival at Larnaca or Paphos airport.
dodo

Post by dodo »

Just the UK!!!

How about every country in Cat B
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Looking at current country data from ECDC, which doesn’t show all the criteria Cyprus is using for decision making, the U.K. must be getting pretty close to a move to Category C. Looking at the the current list of Category C countries, the infection rate in the U.K. is worse than 6 of them and better in 8. It paints a better picture for mortality rates which are lower than 13 and worse in only one. However, given all the noise about stats over there, I can imagine some pretty intense debate within the appropriate government departments over here before too long.

Ian
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

galexinda wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:40 pm I would be much happier if every single person flying from the UK had to produce the required negative covid test rather than the current system whereby Cypriots and residents can opt to have the test done on arrival at Larnaca or Paphos airport.
All that is really needed is for the airlines to make certain flights test-only. That way, people flying would know that they were flying with people who had had a test.

The other flights could be used by residents, or people willing to take the chance.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have been reading the statistics as published by Cyprus daily in their breakdown of the previous day's testing results, very few cases of Covid have been found in people off UK flights proving to be positive to the test. Most positive results come from eastern European countries a few from Russia ( many of these countries are now downgraded from B to C.). Other cases have been footballers from Larnaca teams.The eastern side of Cyprus, centred on Larnaca have the most cases of the virus.
Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

And no mention of the hospital worker in Limassol hospital who returned straight to work after his holiday even after testing positive for Covid, resulting in the closure of the Cardiac unit?
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There must have been some mention of it as you know in the UK ;-)
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There must have been some mention of it as you know in the UK ;-)
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

PhotoLady wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:06 am And no mention of the hospital worker in Limassol hospital who returned straight to work after his holiday even after testing positive for Covid, resulting in the closure of the Cardiac unit?
Yes it was mentioned .

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/limasso ... ovid-case/
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I was looking in this particular thread.... I had seen it in the Cyprus online news earlier in the day.
By all accounts, outside tourism is the least of your worries. Cyprus needs to be looking more closer to home.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Varky

Post by Varky »

With all the 'local' infections I do hope that the powers that be are not only looking for those people that these latest infections may have passed on but also trying to find out the source of the original infections.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:50 pm I have been reading the statistics as published by Cyprus daily in their breakdown of the previous day's testing results, very few cases of Covid have been found in people off UK flights proving to be positive to the test. Most positive results come from eastern European countries a few from Russia ( many of these countries are now downgraded from B to C.). Other cases have been footballers from Larnaca teams.The eastern side of Cyprus, centred on Larnaca have the most cases of the virus.
Dee
There were 5 people from the UK a couple of days ago arriving from 4 different UK airports. Unless they were returning residents, I wonder just how useful the test is that Cat B countries must take 72 hours before travelling?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

If they were returning residents, then yes the 72hr test is proving useful. That's the question, were they.

Oh, and is the Cypriot woman who infected so many, being prosecuted, or has it all gone quiet, I would love to know.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I remember seeing mention of her in the local news. Apparently, she appeared in court and was fined only €800 because there were some mitigating circumstances.....

Dee
kansas

Post by kansas »

Maybe I have this wrong but I thought that returning Cypriots and residents who are only tested upon arrival in Cyprus (and may have sat on the plane alongside tested tourists) are supposed to self isolate until their test results are available. I wonder how many actually do so? Not an easy situation to monitor.
Varky

Post by Varky »

kansas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 am Maybe I have this wrong but I thought that returning Cypriots and residents who are only tested upon arrival in Cyprus (and may have sat on the plane alongside tested tourists) are supposed to self isolate until their test results are available. I wonder how many actually do so? Not an easy situation to monitor.
In my opinion everyone getting on a plane destined for Cyprus (or anywhere else) whether resident or citizen should have an up-to-date negative covid-19 test. I would have thought that the captain of the flight would have the power not to let anyone without such test onto his plane. He can refuse entry to drunks so I would have thought that a possible infectious traveller was more serious than a drunk.
I suspect that many of the more recently detected cases in Cyprus fall into this category putting the general population and fellow travellers at risk.
WHL

Post by WHL »

kansas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 am Maybe I have this wrong but I thought that returning Cypriots and residents who are only tested upon arrival in Cyprus (and may have sat on the plane alongside tested tourists) are supposed to self isolate until their test results are available. I wonder how many actually do so? Not an easy situation to monitor.
I would imagine the majority do self isolate, because you receive the test results after a few hours.