European Car rental ideas.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
jeba

Re: European Car rental ideas.

Post by jeba »

I´d check for websites that act like car rental brokers like this German one: https://www.billiger-mietwagen.de/reser ... 91df3f2d11.
There a rental from Brussels to Basel from e.g. 15.9. until 23.9 starts from € 880. I´m sure there will be English rental sites.
Paul

Post by Paul »

We have used indigo a couple of times, why!! you car hire a car with out a credit card with them.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Careful when booking a cheapo rental, , I got caught out at Gatwick a few years ago, if you dont take out their insurance, they asked for nearly two grand, to be charged on to your card, as a deposit, as I only had one card on me with a limit of just over a grand, I had to take out their insurance, which then came out more then all the other quotes I had, from that time I only book with Avis, a bit more expensive, but with their membership, you dont Q up when picking up, always get an up grade with out ever asking for one, great cars etc.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

These post just show how many differences there can be when Hiring a car.. I have never taken the car company insurance, and have never been penalised at all .. I also only have a Debit card, and have always been able to pay for the hire with that... despite 'terms and conditions' sometimes saying otherwise..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:08 pm These post just show how many differences there can be when Hiring a car.. I have never taken the car company insurance, and have never been penalised at all .. I also only have a Debit card, and have always been able to pay for the hire with that... despite 'terms and conditions' sometimes saying otherwise..
The company I was talking about, didnt insist I take out their insurance, as I have my own separate insurance for rental cars, all the company's, I have rented with before, usually put three or four hundred to hold on your card, this company insisted on putting nearly two grand on the card, if you never took their insurance, I booked it with Easycars, they act as an agent for said company, I did ring Easycars while I was in the office, and their reply was, its in the small print, you should of read it.
robf

Post by robf »

Be Extremely vigilant, ensure you inspect whatever car you hire very carefully, and do use your mobile to video the entire car in detail. It isnt like Cyprus, they go over the car with a fine toothcomb on return, be prepared.

Robert
sued51

Post by sued51 »

Most cheap car hire is reliant on not using the companies insurance - I regularly hire a car in the UK for £10 a day or less without using the companies' insurance but use icarhireinsurance which costs around £40 a year (less topcashback) and involves a hefty deposit of up to £1500 on my credit card per hire which is sometimes inconvenient as it can take up to 31 days to be refunded and I often have 3 different hires per trip, but after 2 claims over the past 8 years on the insurance, one of which my fault and the other not, both have been paid out without problem or excess deducted so I'm quite happy.
At times I have to do a one way hire within the UK which normally costs and extra £50 or so - I would expect a one way hire involving returning the car to a different country to be far in excess of this, if it is even possible
jeba

Post by jeba »

My German car insurance offered a so-called "Mallorca policy" which provides insurance cover for rental cars abroad for very cheap (I think € 30 for the whole year, but limited to stays of not more than a few weeks). Don´t you have an equivalent in the UK?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Tanny is looking for hire from Brussels to Basel for 8 days, and he is not in the UK but lives in Cyprus..
Trev..
sued51

Post by sued51 »

Icarhireinsurance covers Cyprus residents unlike some other insurance companies, but still think it will be very expensive if possible to return to a different country
WHL

Post by WHL »

We have done many USA road trips, picking up a car or van in one state and dropping it off several states later, the rental is double sometimes treble, the normal cost, because although they have offices nationwide they need to pay a driver to take it back.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I thing you will find it difficult to hire a car to do this trip.
Car hire companies are franchises and there cars are owned by the hire company at there head office in that country.
There are a number of issues like, Insurance, Road tax, MOT’s.
Then there is the problem of getting the car back to the base office.
I have worked for a car hire company in the past, and they would not let people take car over the boarder in to the north of Cyprus