Corona virus UK now safer than Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
glang3000

Corona virus UK now safer than Cyprus

Post by glang3000 »

Last weeks figures show the UK to be safer now than Cyprus:

Week 3rd to 9th August,

UK infections 8.7 per 100,000 population, Cyprus 12.4 per 100,000, Spain 55.1 per 100,000

Gary.
trevnhil

Re: Corona virus UK now safer than Cyprus

Post by trevnhil »

I find that Amazing !!
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

Statistics.,.....who trusts them?..... Particularly when issued by politicians......
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

So it is now safe for us to return to the UK after being here since March, just before lockdown. Despite lots of northern towns under lockdown including Greater Manchester and we would be flying into Manchester. Plus, would you trust the figures for the UK, as the figures for the number of tests were doctored during April and May, and tests sent out were counted as complete. Plus UK does not publish the number of active cases.
Think we will stay here for the foreseeable future.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I find those figures amazing and don't trust them either. Cyprus inevitably has a few cases now due partly to increased flights arriving here.The woman who arrived from USA a couple of weeks ago was partly responsible for causing a temporary spike of infection in Limassol by ignoring regulations here to self isolate. But her contacts were rounded up and isolated, and now infections there are declining. The Cypriots are much quicker to find and deal with any cases as there is extensive testing of communities all over the island. Hygeine regs are also V strict and are enforced.

I feel much safer here than I would in the UK with its many local lockdowns.
What will happen in the UK when the schools go back and the pubs will need to be shut next month as has been suggested?

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I know where I would rather be.

It is also worth remembering that Cyprus operates a very efficient track and trace scheme with regards to COVID. They actively seek it out based on existing cases, which will bump up the figures somewhat.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:17 pm I find that Amazing !!
So do I 😱
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

I know which country I feel safer in.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Yes that is the article I was looking at.
I also found it a shock but why do some people not believe it? Why would a government that has already agreed it has the worst death rate from Covid in Europe start lying now.
It's just that things have been improving in the UK and Cyprus has had a wobble.
I would still feel safer in Cyprus but thought the figures interesting.
Glang3000
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Times of London this morning
Greece 21.2 Cyprus 23.7 U.K. 18.6 Italy 9.3 Spain 115.7 France 41.2 Portugal 25.7 Germany 16.3 and best performer Hungary on 3.6
So one presumes that had we signed an air bridge deal with the UK then we’d have been facing the chop this week .
I must admit I’ve forgotten how much better the UK needs to perform to get into Cyprus’s Premier League but it must be close ?
Please don’t worry Glang3000 it’s a very British expat thing to do running the old country down but PD ( pre Dominic ) your post would probably have been deleted !!
Let’s hope it stays just a wobble here after a weekend of large gatherings with restaurants full and large parties at most houses both Saturday and yesterday .
WHL

Post by WHL »

Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:00 am Times of London this morning
Greece 21.2 Cyprus 23.7 U.K. 18.6 Italy 9.3 Spain 115.7 France 41.2 Portugal 25.7 Germany 16.3 and best performer Hungary on 3.6
So one presumes that had we signed an air bridge deal with the UK then we’d have been facing the chop this week .
I must admit I’ve forgotten how much better the UK needs to perform to get into Cyprus’s Premier League but it must be close ?
Please don’t worry Glang3000 it’s a very British expat thing to do running the old country down but PD ( pre Dominic ) your post would probably have been deleted !!
Let’s hope it stays just a wobble here after a weekend of large gatherings with restaurants full and large parties at most houses both Saturday and yesterday .
I dont think Bozo Boris, needs any help from British Expats to run the the Old country down,
as he has shown, he is quite capable of running the Old country down all by himself.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

WHL wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:51 am I dont think Bozo Boris, needs any help from British Expats to run the the Old country down,
as he has shown, he is quite capable of running the Old country down all by himself.
Or indeed the whole Conservative government.

Worst Covid deaths in Europe.
Worst economical performance in the G7 and Europe.
Exam results fiasco.
But to deter people from these little facts lets pick on the Boat people, lets have a go at Ben and Jerry's.
Pathetic bunch of lying barstewards, who cant acknowledge their mistakes and say that they are sorry, because they are not.
At least Nicola Sturgeon acknowledges and apologizes for SNP mistakes.
And Brexit is just around the corner.... :lol:
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I feel that I have been critical of the old country' but it gives me no pleasure. I didn't vote for this government and I am very sorry that it is still making such expensive mistakes from mishandling the covid pandemic to what seems,liike continually being on the back foot. The latest one being the mess thats being made of the 'A 'Level' results. The lack of coherent forward planning, U-turns at times Then there is Brexit on the horizon. The possible next financiial disaster for my poor country..

I had parents and relatives who fought in British forces in WW2. Including two who were present at the surrender of the Japanese Forces, in Tokyo in 1945. Others fought on the sea or in the air. Such bravery.
What would they think of the lack of decent statesmen in politics now and the current mess that our country has found itself in now, 75 years later?

Dee
daveg

Post by daveg »

But is there a better alternative to the Boris Bunch?...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dee

The government has taken the advice of scientists in the handling of the Corvid 19 Pandemic. It is an unknown situation to us all, the handling of it is also an unknown, trial and error. This is the way we will learn how to handle it if another strikes in the future.

As far as the 'A' level results go, unless the students are allowed to sit the examinations, no-one will be happy. I don't see why they could not have sat them with social distancing in place, with a few sitting at a time. Teacher assessments can be influenced by emotion, which is totally unacceptable. Too late now for some hoping to go to Uni, but if some still want to sit the exams, then they should be allowed to do so. The papers must have been prepared, so why not.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And what about the 150 million up the swanny because they gave a contract to buy masks to a friend of theirs with no experience of buying such things?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

glang3000 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:33 pm Yes that is the article I was looking at.
I also found it a shock but why do some people not believe it? Why would a government that has already agreed it has the worst death rate from Covid in Europe start lying now.
It's just that things have been improving in the UK and Cyprus has had a wobble.
I would still feel safer in Cyprus but thought the figures interesting.
Glang3000
I agree, it is interesting. It is also nice to know that the UK figures are now a lot lower. I have family there, after all.

I do hope that Keir Starmer steers Labour back into the realms of electability though. The Tory Party's biggest downfall has been the lack of an effective opposition.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Firefly wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:22 pm The government has taken the advice of scientists in the handling of the Corvid 19 Pandemic. It is an unknown situation to us all, the handling of it is also an unknown, trial and error. This is the way we will learn how to handle it if another strikes in the future.
The British government could see what had was happening in Italy, Spain and China, prior to it hitting the UK, those countries could probably get away with that excuse of it being an unknown situation.
I think that the government cherry picked advice from the scientists, they were more worried about the economy that they shut down two weeks too late and that probably extended it by about two months longer.

Here's another guff coming from the third highest senior MP Priti Patel, look at her sour face in the picture
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prit ... -csl3bwv5j
When we leave the EU the French will be giving them boats for free :lol:
Last edited by Uncle D on Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Some of the things Johnson and his cronies have done during this crisis, would shame a banana republic... it is shocking how openly corrupt they are. The Tracing contract is costing £980 per contact... for a few phone calls...