Pigeons

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mandyr

Pigeons

Post by Mandyr »

We live on a complex and over the last few months we are having a huge problem with pigeons coming to nest. Does anyone know how we can dispose of them or deter them. Help is needed please!!!
Mandyr

Re: Pigeons

Post by Mandyr »

Cannot understand Cypriots eating them but each to their own I suppose and that’s why they cannot be shot. There are many on our complex and plenty on the unoccupied complex next to ours. Unfortunately the buggers it seems are now moving house to ours, it’s a nightmare!!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

No idea if this item or similar helps, but normally pigeons sit always at the same places....

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07TCP76R4/ref ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

Max
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

My friend swears by rubber snakes...she got loads from jumbo
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Mandyr wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:29 am Cannot understand Cypriots eating them
Why? If cooked correctly, they are delicious and infinitely more tasty than the chickens that pass for food in the butchers, markets, supermarkets and elsewhere. The big problem is that many people cook meat of any type to a frazzle and this applies quite largely to both Brits and Cypriots.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I think I've tried everything you can think of without success. I've put the spikes shown by Max everywhere and presently running them on the ridge tiles.

I bought a bird scarer from the states and that's my next task after I finish completing the spikes and putting chicken wire under the solar panels.
Iv'e had the plastic owl on the roof, the hawk kite, the spirals; you think of it and I've bought it. After a few days they become familiar with the scarers and everything goes back to normal.

Jim
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

What you need is a tame falcon. I saw a video some time back that one of the big hotels in Dubai (possibly the Al Burj) employs a falconer specifically to hunt the pigeons ...
🙂🙂
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

We had a similar problem in our small complex last year. When I researched it a bit I read that pigeons will often choose places where there is water lying. A quick check of the roof and one of the supply hoses was leaking badly and there was a fair sized puddle up there, despite the very sunny weather. Pipe repaired and the pigeons were gone within a few days. May have been a coincidence, but it may be worthwhile checking to see whether you also have lying water.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

PW in Polemi wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:10 am What you need is a tame falcon. I saw a video some time back that one of the big hotels in Dubai (possibly the Al Burj) employs a falconer specifically to hunt the pigeons ...
🙂🙂
There's a wild one that flies around by our house and I actually saw it catch a pigeon.

Our problem stems from a builder who bought land near our place which had a pigeon loft on it which they immediately flattened and then went bankrupt. The pigeons decided to move house to our roof; there was that bad that AEK had to come out and put spacers between the power lines because the weight of pigeons kept shorting the power lines.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

That clip of Gordon Ramsay made my mouth water. Who couldn't say that those pigeon breasts didn't look gorgeous?