Finally, we've had time to make some changes....

If you want to share your pictures or videos and keep them in one place, then post them here.

For pictures, max dimensions: 1024x1024. Max file size: 256K
PhotoLady

Re: Finally, we've had time to make some changes.... UPDATED

Post by PhotoLady »

In case you were wondering this is why I haven't been quite so active on the forum recently.

During the last week of September, we managed to get the boys round again to do all the manual work on our back garden....
They had to dig out part of the grassy area, lay down membrane, flag over using our reclaimed paving flags from the front and the side yard plus a few from the back and then they brought in another half dozen reclaimed paving flags to complete it.
The main patio area is now raised up with a slope at the edge leading down to a drainage channel.

My husband then joined the drainage channel to an existing pipe to our main drain which also incorporates the overflow from the upper part of our water butt.

This has now resolved our main headache because the back garden had very poor drainage and no access to a main drain anywhere nearby. Each time we had heavy rain it constantly puddled all along the length of the conservatory so we wanted to make sure it was sorted out before the winter sets in.

After the guys finished their part of the job, we've since rearranged the position of the summer house (several times) and given it a lick of paint - there's a bit more to go on inside there so that will be another post when it's finished. We rejigged the plastic shed around and have installed a new 8' x 6' wooden shed where the plastic one used to be.

We still have to paint the new wooden shed but it's all weather proofed so not the be all and end all if we don't get it done before the end of the year and we will probably add a few more plants in the beds as we go along after we see how they all progress. We had to heavily cut back the Camelia bush and the Clematis because we also replaced the wooden panels along the left hand adjoining fence.

Some before and after photos....
Before:

Halfway there:

After - you can see the drainage channel here below the upper level of the paved area:

Instructions on how to put the shed together from the Brompton Joinery delivery man:
Image[/url]

Construction of the new shed (my hubby and brother in law at work)

It took 3 of us to get it this far as we were putting it together on the tail end of ex-hurricane Ophelia:

Not quite finished yet:

Sunday Event 22 October, poor Lynne wasn't ready for this shot:

12th birthday celebrations - our Great Nieces (twins) and their younger brother visiting from Essex.

As the evening was drawing to a close:
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Lincoln

Re: Finally, we've had time to make some changes....

Post by Lincoln »

Terrific. Lot of hard work paid off.
All things are possible
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Thanks!
Yes, we really love it now and have so much useable space. We sat outside with a brew several times while we were doing the painting and fencing. The sunshine passes across the whole of the back garden throughout the day - a shame we couldn't get it done sooner but we had the front done first then it was all down to getting a slot when the boys could come back and funding, of course.

However, the front, side yard and the back garden have all added to the kerb appeal, which was our aim as the previous owners had done only a halfhearted attempt and made a right shambles of it.

We got it done in time for the twin great nieces 12th birthday 🎂 so had a bit of a do for them and invited friends and neighbours too to join the unveiling of our work.

The Gin Palace was well stocked as was the fridge and two tables in the kitchen were groaning under the weight of the buffet. It was a windy day but we managed to get our Cyprus BBQ out and that caused much commotion - all 26 guests had to go and have a peek and the odd poke at the coals.

Next summer is going to be fun, we reckon 🎆
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Well done Jules, fantastic job, I absolutely LOVE the colour of your Gin Palace, what a transformation! 👍🏻 😊
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Thanks again for sharing !
Louise :)
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Thanks all for your kind words and comments 😊

A mixture of feelings over the last few days for us as today is our wedding anniversary and also my Dad's birthday. However, in this same week last year we attended the cremation service for my Dad so today has been fairly low key with some ongoing painting of the new wooden structures in the back garden and tonight me and hubby celebrated 18yrs of marriage with a pink gin, blueberries and prosecco. We've spent 27yrs of life together and are currently chilled out on the sofa.

Next week it's my Mums' birthday so we will put a bit more effort into that and will spend the afternoon in Blackpool watching a fabulous trio perform in town followed by a chippy tea...

Thankfully the outside work is almost done and we're now ready to sit back and relax for a while with a couple of planned holidays between now and Easter 😊
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

The Gin Palace is full.... it's time we got on with drinking some of our collection now :-D

Our latest addition was the German created Blackforest or Needle Gin being supplied in UK by ALDI - just trying it out now with FeverTree Clementine Tonic and Cinammon.
Very nice indeedy!

Cheers everyone, have a great weekend :-)
Last edited by PhotoLady on Wed May 30, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Ha Ha hic! Don't get too merry it is not quite Christmas yet. Lovely picture of your collection/display.
All things are possible
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Cheers 🍻
Room for a few miniatures only now.
Definitely no room at the Gin!
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

PhotoLady wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:02 pm The Gin Palace is full.... it's time we got on with drinking some of our collection now :-D

Our latest addition was the German created Blackforest or Needle Gin being supplied in UK by ALDI - just trying it out now with FeverTree Clementine Tonic and Cinammon.
Very nice indeedy!

Cheers everyone, have a great weekend :-)
Hi photolady

Further to our earlier chat about sloe gin, here is the result of my brew using dried sloes. It's delicious with a lump of ice! I'm now looking for a recipe to use the gin soaked berries.

Cabinet looks great. Enjoy your gin collection X
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The Aldi gin, called Oliver Cromwell, costing £9.99 was rated the second best in the UK in a recent test..... It is nice....
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Yes, we use the Oliver Cromwell to create our own flavoured gin... Good price and a nice gin too!

That's a nice colour on that Sloe, Aphrodite 😊

We have a homemade Damson in the cupboard, given to us by one of our new found friends since we returned from Cyprus. It's very dark, quite sweet and almost like a fortified wine when you sniff it. I quite like it but hubby is not so keen.

Next on my list will be Cranberry gin. I have some cranberries in the fridge to make a recipe for the turkey with chilli and lime but I have an extra lot (wonder how that happened?) which will be the next gin batch.

Aphrodite, can you use the Sloe slurry as the juice for a fruit pie filling? Or maybe a rich fruit cake? 🍸
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I made plum gin this year, after bottling it, I'll make a very Merry Christmas crumble with the plums.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We're going to buy a Juniper bush after the New Year and we shall see where that takes us 😉

Have a Happy New Year everyone, I think we will be having a very merry one 😁
memory man

Post by memory man »

re. The Gin Palace ( pics have gone :cry: )

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 3485e31389
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It's collapsed under the weight of the bottles 😊