Phoenix Ambulance Service

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: Phoenix Ambulance Service

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, Flossie is right! From what I know they are now based at Evangelismos I think working with their A and E Dept. But I think that I read that they can take patients to other Paphos hospitals if they so wish.
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is sad though that they don't email members (they have there email addresses) and let them know what is happening.
As a member I still have had no word about them starting a new company with Evangelismos :(
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I would like to know the TRUE state of affairs
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have just left a message on their F B page, but if I get a reply I expect it will be tomorrow.
More worrying is the fact that I have sent them an email to the address they last messaged me from reminding me to pay my subscription..

This is what bounced back

" Your message wasn't delivered to mail@ambulancecyprus.com because the address couldn't be found. Check for typos or unnecessary spaces and try again."
Trev..
Benny

Post by Benny »

Wouldn't trust that man as far as I could throw him
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:49 pm Yes, Flossie is right! From what I know they are now based at Evangelismos I think working with their A and E Dept. But I think that I read that they can take patients to other Paphos hospitals if they so wish.
Dee
Not only that, this is most worrying for anyone signed up for the service in Paphos:
What I discovered was shocking to say the least…
I discovered that the ambulances now only have a driver and a nurse…NOT a Paramedic.(The Phoenix Paramedic consultant was sacked) I also found out that they now only have 2 Emergency Techs who are qualified to drive on emergency lights and sirens. The most alarming thing (to me anyway) was that John Thomson was no longer with them either!!!

What this basically means is that if you are ‘a member’ and have an emergency, an ambulance with a driver (who is probably not qualified to drive using lights and sirens) and a nurse will be sent.
That’s what the General do just now for free EXCEPT you are paying Evangalismos circa €400 per year for the same thing!!!!!!
This is no different than we saw in 2002 whilst on holiday and my husband giving First Aid to a young man knocked from his motorcycle whilst travelling home from work above the village of Polis. The skin on his shin had been ripped from knee to ankle and all the attending fireman (passing by in his double cab) wanted to do was remove the motorcyclist's helmet! The "ambulance" when it finally arrived was no more than a UK converted bread van with a trolley - no siren and a crew who hadn't got a clue what to do!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We are members of Phoenix ambulance service and we have paid until the end of December...
Recently I became aware of changes, where the company seemed to be a new one joined up with the Evangelismos Hospital..
The new situation is very worrying because what happens now if we need an ambulance.. We have had cause to use them before, both to Paphos and to Nicosia, and they were very good and professional.

I will seek out more information, but it will probably be later on Friday... Meanwhile if anyone can shed any light on the situation it would be helpful..
Last edited by trevnhil on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Benny wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:01 pm Wouldn't trust that man as far as I could throw him
John Thompson is a highly trained Paramedic working full time on the North Sea oil rigs, and a frequent visitor to Paphos.

I have met him face to face at various CL meet ups. A nicer guy you could not ever meet, tbh.. He wanted to bring a small fleet of ex Scotland NHS Ambulances across to Paphos from Scotland, overland. I was one of the first volunteers, and was quite happy to chip in to overall fuel, ferry, subsistence costs for the convoy.

But it never happened, for whatever reason....

But that's no good reason for you to come here on PL as a first poster, to bad mouth him like that! AL :(
Gone but not forgotten...
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Benny wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:01 pm Wouldn't trust that man as far as I could throw him
Nor me to be honest :shock: John is ok if you agree with him or the other site owner ? To be fair the other site owner is looking into this and i do think he will report back the truth even though he is also Scottish :lol: Just have to wait and see the outcome of it all ?
Robert

Post by Robert »

I seem to recall that a competitor to Phoenix had started up a couple of years ago. Does anybody know what happened to them and whether they have a paramedic plus someone authorised to drive with lights/sirens onboard?

Will be a shame if Phoenix have lost their way as along with signing up for my private medical insurance they were on my week 1 immigration to do list.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

OMG- this has been going on now for over ten years, FCS! Ever since the taverna owner in Pegeia tragically lost his young daughter, when she drowned in their swimming pool...

It was decided soon after (with JT input) that a proper paremedic service was needed in the Pafos area, not just a taxi with blue flashing light. Did the Cy Gov put the dampers on this good idea, out of plain jealousy, I wonder???
Benny

Post by Benny »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:13 pm
....... and you just joined the forum to say that??
Yes I did and I know him better than anyone on here
Benny

Post by Benny »

PaphosAL wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:59 pm
John Thompson is a highly trained Paramedic working full time on the North Sea oil rigs, and a frequent visitor to Paphos.

I have met him face to face at various CL meet ups. A nicer guy you could not ever meet, tbh.. He wanted to bring a small fleet of ex Scotland NHS Ambulances across to Paphos from Scotland, overland. I was one of the first volunteers, and was quite happy to chip in to overall fuel, ferry, subsistence costs for the convoy.

But that's no good reason for you to come here on PL as a first poster, to bad mouth him like that! AL :(
So why has he been involved in 3 different companies will this new one being the 4th????
Just saying how I see it
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Need a like button :mrgreen:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that (to the best of my knowledge) John Thompson is not a member here, so is unable to defend himself, I will ask that no more be said about the man on this thread, unless you want it to end up in the pit.

I would also ask that people wait until the facts are known, and avoid speculation. If anybody has any actual facts regarding the current state of Phoenix, please do post them, as there is clearly a desire for knowledge. But please, no character assassinations or conspiracy theories. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks Dominic for your words.. This is not about who is right or wrong,it is about finding out what the situation is NOW for the many Ambulance service members..
We need to know what happens if we phone the number we have in an emergency. If an ambulance is dispatched will it have a paramedic on board, and equally important, will they be able to find the patient.. There are other concerns as well such as will the ambulance take us to another private hospital or even to the General..
I will try to inquire at the Evangelismos but it will be late tomorrow
Trev..
jenniej

Post by jenniej »

With regard to the Evangelismos ambulance service, I can say they will take you to another hospital, private or the general and they have a fully trained paramedic who on this occasion was English and knew exactly what to do and most likely saved the gentleman's life.
J
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Perhaps this link will help clarify some of the previous comments and suggest members of the Phoenix Ambulance Scheme contact the Evangelismos Hospital direct:

http://www.ambulancecyprus.com/about/
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Wise words, Dominic and Trev! AL
JimX

Post by JimX »

PaphosAL wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:59 pm

[/size][/i]
Yes he did Alan, he brought several old ambulances to Cy, I know as I did see them parked up, never been a member of the service myself although it did seem a good idea though, if you live out in the sticks with only one driver, me just drive me to the General a mile or two down the road. I always got on OK with John always supported CL in the early days, last time I saw him was on a UK TV holiday program, along with the late Brian Ovary, remember him?
Also, a nice lady lives near me who works for this outfit, if I see her I will ask what is going on, I hope she does not lose her job.
Jim.