Possible opening of Varosha by the Turks??

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
geoffreys

Possible opening of Varosha by the Turks??

Post by geoffreys »

Is this really possible?
http://in-cyprus.com/turkish-plans-play ... a-opening/
Would be nice if it went ahead.
Geoff.
Jimgward

Re: Possible opening of Varosha by the Turks??

Post by Jimgward »

Why is it nice? Surely designed to create tension...
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Would you rather they kept it for another 43 years!!??
Geoff.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

No, it I think this is a deliberate act, on failure of the talks, to virtually claim Varosha for the North
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:21 pm No, it I think this is a deliberate act, on failure of the talks, to virtually claim Varosha for the North
OK, well I think you are being a bit negative about it.
We will have to wait see if anything comes of it.
Geoff.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I think this is more for the Maronite Cypriots rather than the Greek Cypriots. They have always been fairly neutral although after 1974 they chose to be associated with the "south".
WHL

Post by WHL »

Geoffrey the occupied norths, cheer leader, , just wondering what your Greek Cypriot neighbors in Vrysollas would make of this? many of which fled their homes in Varosha.... Sad that you seem to take Joy in other peoples past misery's. :roll:
Last edited by WHL on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 pm I think this is more for the Maronite Cypriots rather than the Greek Cypriots. They have always been fairly neutral although after 1974 they chose to be associated with the "south".
No its got nothing to do with the Cypriot Maronite's, their villages are in the north
and it wasn't after 1974 that they chose to go with the Greek side, when Cyprus got its Independence in 1960, the other minority's... Maronites, and Armenians chose to side with the Greek Cypriots...As for Varosha ..its just Turkey stealing whats not theirs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maronite_Cypriots
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:18 am Geoffrey the occupied norths, cheer leader, , just wondering what your Greek Cypriot neighbors in Vrysollas would make of this?
You do talk some tripe WHL.
I love all of Cyprus, both sides equally, hence we own property on both sides (in the North bought from a TC, it had always been in her family - before you start spouting off about buying stolen GC property).
I have no idea what my neighbours in Vrysoulles make of it, but I do know they are not happy at the way President Nik conducted himself at the re-unification talks; they had hoped it would be settled this time.
Finally WHL please do not shoot the messenger - I started this thread as I thought it would be of interest to other forum members.
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Geoffrey spare us please, Ive followed you on other forums over in the East, which you got banned from, for your provocative posts, you never miss a chance to praise the north, you pull the forum grenade pin lob it in, then play the innocent when you wind people up. you claim to know what your neighbors think about the President yet claim you dont know what they think about the Turkish invasion, please dont insult our intelligence....just like your post on the sirens disturbing your beauty sleep last weak... as for you loving Cypriots, please spare us the B/S.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:20 pm Geoffrey spare us please, Ive followed you on other forums over in the East, which you got banned from, for your provocative posts, you never miss a chance to praise the north, you pull the forum grenade pin lob it in, then play the innocent when you wind people up. you claim to know what your neighbors think about the President yet claim you dont know what they think about the Turkish invasion, please dont insult our intelligence....just like your post on the sirens disturbing your beauty sleep last weak... as for you loving Cypriots, please spare us the B/S.
More assumptions!
I know what my neighbours think about the (1974) invasion. But you asked me what they thought about the reported latest "offer" from the TRNC/Turks regarding Varosha. I told you they have not told me BUT they did tell me what they thought about the failed re-unification talks.
One reason I was banned from other forums was because one or two sponsors, GC extremists, requested it. It highlights what I have been saying all along, that there is so much ill feelings on both sides of the cease-fire demarcation line any reunification seems most unlikely.
Unlikely does not mean impossible - which is why they keep on trying. Don't knock it!
Look, this country is now our home, and we would like to see a settlement to the Cyprob - isn't that also what YOU want WHL?????
And if it is on what basis do YOU suggest they could/should settle?
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

No Geoffrey..Im guessing.. you were Banned because of your wind up Posts
Last edited by WHL on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:54 pm No Geoffrey you were Banned because of your wind up Posts
Can you prove that allegation, because it ain't true?
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Ive Edited my previous post, now...Can you prove your allegations that Greek extremist sponsors got you Banned?
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:11 pm Ive Edited my previous post, now...Can you prove your allegations that Greek extremist sponsors got you Banned?
Yes. But I don't intend to on here as it is another forum and nothing to do with it.
If you like I will PM you with the details, but I notice you do not allow either PMs or emails; why is that?
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

No thanks Geoffrey, Il take your word for it.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm No thanks Geoffrey, Il take your word for it.
OK, thanks for that.
Getting back to the subject matter of this thread I asked you in an earlier post if you also wanted a settlement to the Cyprob, and if so on what basis you would suggest it could/should be based on.
I would be most interested to hear your thoughts on that.
My own views are that a 2-State solution is now the only way forward, each side doing their own thing governance-wise, financially, socially, Politically, and so on. More or less formalizing the current informal situation.
In that context the offer by the Turks/TRNC in regard to Varosha makes some sense I feel.
One thing is for sure, there is no way the clock can now be turned back to 1974!
Geoff.
WHL

Post by WHL »

One Cyprus, for Greek/Turkish Cypriots. All mainland troops from both sides to go back from where they came from and let the Cypriots enjoy their country in a federal Cyprus.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:51 pm One Cyprus, for Greek/Turkish Cypriots. All mainland troops from both sides to go back from where they came from and let the Cypriots enjoy their country in a federal Cyprus.
That would be nice.
Let us hope they can achieve it; if not the 2-state solution looks to me to be the only way..
Geoff.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Two state solutions don't work.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.