Heavenly Baklava

The place to share recipes and ask for advice.
Happy in Cyprus

Heavenly Baklava

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:55 am

Amounts below give a very generous depth of filling for one shallow ovenproof dish/tin 23 x 33cm - or with a thinner filling you could go up to 20% greater size. Takes around 60 mins prep + 30 mins to cook. This recipe is largely Tonia Buxton’s (from her “Tonia’s Greek Kitchen” book and video

)

FOR THE SYRUP
225g caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice (plus optional orange/lemon zest)
3 tbsp rosewater
2 pcs cinnamon stick/bark

FOR THE BAKLAVA
500g chopped almonds and/or pecans and/or pistachios
100g caster sugar
4 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
150ml rosewater
250g filo pastry sheets

PLUS 150g unsalted butter (this is used to grease the dish and filo pastry layers)

First make the syrup by placing all the ingredients in a heavy-based saucepan. Stir in 3/4 glass (150 ml) water, then bring to a steady boil over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until it becomes slightly syrupy. Leave to cool, then remove the cinnamon sticks.

Gently melt the butter in a pan so as to lightly grease the sides and base of a 23 x 33cm dish/tin (I preferred a dish so that the knife would not scratch the non-stick surface of a tin).

For the filling, thoroughly mix together the chopped nuts, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and rosewater.

Preheat the oven to 180°C + fan/gas Mk 4.

Using a knife or scissors, cut the filo sheets to the approximate size of the dish/tin. Carefully separate the sheets and start lining them in the dish, lightly brushing each sheet with melted butter/oil (do not overdue!) Continue layering until half the sheets – around 6/8 – have lined the base.

Now evenly spread on the filling and then cover with the remaining filo sheets, continuing to layer and grease as before. Be sure to brush the top sheet also for a great colour. Cut away excess pastry from the walls of the dish/tin. Score the top of the pastry only to form oblong shapes.

Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for around 30 mins. Increase the temperature by 20°C for the final 5 mins to give the top a nice golden colour. Remove from the oven and whilst still hot pour the cool syrup all over (perimeter plus scored cuts). You’ll hear a sizzling sound as the syrup is added. Leave to stand for at least one hour before cutting into pieces.

TIPS
• If you chop the nuts in a food processor, don’t overdo so that the nuts are reduced to powder.
• To prevent unused filo sheets from drying out before use, cover with a damp tea towel.

Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

aphrodite

Re: Heavenly Baklava

Post by aphrodite » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:28 am

I made this when HIC put it up on CL and followed the recipe exactly. I can honestly say that it is divine and soooooo much nicer than anything you can buy. X

Maggie B

Post by Maggie B » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Lloyd, I went to a street market today in Inverness (sunny Scotland😁) and tasted some delicious Baklava. I decided, there and then, I would attempt to make my own and suddenly remembered you had posted the above recipe. Before I go ahead - can you confirm the oven should be at 180c for a fan oven or should it be 160c??

Maggie B

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:23 am

Hi Maggie. Every time I bake something (which isn't all that often) I invariably make amendments to my recipe notes. However, what is posted above is exactly the same as my current notes for baklava. I would try at 180C with fan and see how it works out. It's the colour of the top layer of pastry which will determine when the baking is done.

Let me know how you get on and what you think of the finished result. Funnily enough, even over the past week I was thinking it's about time to make another batch 8-)

Maggie B

Post by Maggie B » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 am

Cheers Lloyd. 😊

MB